Old 10-08-2010, 04:47 PM   #1  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

Default are you more emotional during times of rapid weight loss?

Im sure most people are going to think Im a bit cooky for posting this, but oh well

I see to have noticed that when I am rapidly losing fat, I am super emotional all the time. Crying over small things happy and sad. Being more sensitive than usual.

My first thought historically was diet, but my diet isnt very much more restrictive than normal....and this isnt a "Im starving so Im cranky" thing. Next thought was that my mind is having to adapt quickly and it could be emotionally challenging, but eh I dont really feel any of those mental issues brewing (10 years into maint and this is my final 15lbs, lots of issues were worked out long ago...not saying Im issue free, just that I dont think its the main culprit).

I remembered the philosophies of acupuncture or EFT, where they to varying degrees they think there are meridians in the body...and in the case of EFT believe that memories are "stored" in areas of the body.

And then started to wonder if somehow ridding myself of some of the oldest fat Ive had is actually someone triggering emotional release of memory/trauma from those times.

Like I said, Im sure most of you will think Im nuts...but wondered if anyone else had any thoughts on the subject.
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5

my guess would be your body is releasing a bunch of nasty toxins from burning all that weight so fast.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

According to my MD, estrogen is also stored in your tissues. When you lose weight, that estrogen is released. It wouldn't be surprising if more estrogen being released during periods of rapid weight loss results in being more emotional. The release of extra estrogen is also one of the reasons that TOM can get wonky when losing weight quickly.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #4  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

Robin41 - I totally forgot that body fat causes an increase in estrogen production. Should have thought of that - I was just reading that for every extra 11lbs you carry you increase your breast cancer risk by x% due to that estrogen/fat link!
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #5  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

Definitely more emotional. When I'm not losing, I'm as stone-faced as most men. On plan, I'm a tearful, snotty mess.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #6  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I don't think I was any more emotional but I did find that when my anxiety would kick into high gear my weight shed much faster. (Or maybe the rapid weight loss made my anxiety worse??)

Back in the old days when I felt an anxiety or panic attack coming on I self medicated with food and booze. When I decided to live clean, I had nothing to turn to and had to ride them out. Sometimes during my weight loss my anxiety would go through the roof. During those times I would have amazingly fast weight loss. I started looking forward to having anxiety, because I knew my weekly weigh-in would be a good one.

I still get panic/anxiety but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. Maybe because I look forward to it.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 10-08-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:56 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I experienced the opposite.

When I was heavy, any little thing would make me weep-y. I always felt like I was on the edge of loosing it and was going to break down in tears and I did indeed cry very often.

When I took control of my food, (even prior to hitting goal) and therefore my life, I got stronger and learned how to deal with things much better. I was no longer a basket case. I know this is not what you speaking of per se', but that's how it was for me.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #8  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

I've not experienced the emotionality when dropping but I was thinking that like others have said, estrogen which has a role in our cycles/pms/mood being released into our blood stream might cause that. I do sometimes experience that mind/body disconnect where my brain hasn't caught up with my new smaller size. It looks like you are close to goal. Maybe your hormones are balancing themselves now that you are in a normal range??
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote