Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #1  
Lets try this again

Height: 5'5

Default The time of year, for PUMPKIN!

So I've asked about pumpkin syrup previously but lets talk all things pumpkin!

I loveeeee Starbucks pumpkin latte, but the smallest!!!! (not even a tall) is like 130calories without whip!

Every store has pumpkin foods and decorations and Im definately in love with pumpkin!

I spotted some pumpkin butter at the store for 35 calories a tbsp, and I know Trader Joe's and virtually every store has pumpkin bread mix.

Any great, low calorie ideas for pumpkin breads, puddings, pies, ice creams, drinks or uses for pumpkin butter?
punkrprincessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 155/ 129 /120

Height: 5'7"

I don't have any suggestions but I just have to say...MMM, PUMPKIN!

I love pumpkin. Is there really a starbucks pumpkin latte? Does it have milk or creme in it?

I love canned pumpkin(like the kind you use in pies) heated up with pumpkin pie spices on top...so yummy. I also love pumpkin pie & make my own vegan one.

carrot dance for pumpkins. lol
hippy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 155/ 129 /120

Height: 5'7"

sorry if I sound crazy lol, but your pumpkin post made me smile.
hippy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:16 AM   #4  
Lets try this again

Im crazy over pumpkin! And yes the Starbucks drinks are lattes so they have milk and I think their pumpkin syrup is a creme syrup. So I do my own version with sugar free pumpkin pie syrup by Torani/DaVinci.

I cant find canned pumpkin anywhere!
Old 09-16-2010, 12:24 AM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Mmmm, pumpkin.

I love taking a pie pumpkin, roasting it, and mashing the insides up with curry, cinnamon, and sage-type seasonings, thinning with chicken broth, and hitting it with a little fat free half and half. Pumpkin soup is one of my favorite things.

This year I'll also be canning pumpkin butter to put in my Christmas gift baskets.

I make some lovely chocolate chip pumpkin cakes with canned pumpkin, too. Perfect for fall dessert!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Seems like last year there was a shortage of canned pumpkin around the holidays....? I have a wonderful pumpkin muffin recipe as well as a pumpkin dip....but they are NOT figure friendly by any means.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:06 PM   #7  

Funny how we sometimes jumble the spices associated with pumpkin and the vegetable itself. For a drink I use a standard pumpkin pie spice mix along with my tea or coffee and a little something to smooth it out like fat free 1/2 & 1/2 as suggested above. For the pumpkin vegetable - itself I like butternut squash, kabocha etc. I usually put the whole thing into the microwave for maybe 3 minutes. It easily cuts then for removing the seeds. You can continue to m-wave or bake. Mashed into a soup there are so many possibilities. I love it with a little grated ginger, touch of Dijon mustard, chicken stock or water, just a touch of coconut milk (optional), hot pepper in some form, and some chewy mushrooms like King Oyster, lots of onion and garlic, and the plain (not tofu) shirataki noodles. I can do this breakfast, lunch or dinner.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:15 PM   #8  

I love pumpkin and I love this time of the year. I live in the desert and the cooler temperatures are as welcome as the fall/halloween decor that herald them. I like to use pumpkin with sausage to make pasta sauce or stews. Although this year I am not only trying to lose weight but eat healthier so I will probably switch to turkey or vegetarian sausage or the boca meat substitute crumbles.
hlaoroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

I got some sugar free pumpkin syrup at World Market and putting that in my cooking.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #10  
TEAM CUPID & BL BLUE TEAM

S/C/G: 306/see ticker/153

Height: 5'3

I was just coming here to post a question about cooking pumpkin. I saw some in the store the other day, and started to buy one. Then I realized I have no recipes (I'm not good without a recipe yet), nor do I actually know how to cook them! LOL

I would love to can (or would prefer to freeze if that's possible??). And I'd love recipes that are well and healthy. I did find a soup recipe much like manda mentioned that I think I'm going to try. Most things online I find call for canned... and since the whole pumpkin is fresh and out in the stores... I'd prefer to use that.. LOL I don't know how to get it "like" canned tho..
JackieHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:59 PM   #11  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Canned plain pumpkin is essentially boiled and pureed. I like to cut mine in half, clean out the seeds, and roast, cut side down, at 350 for 40 min or so, until the flesh is soft. Then I remove the skin and mash/puree the remainder, which yields something close to canned pumpkin, but better in my opinion.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:13 PM   #12  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Jackie - I have had great success in steaming pumpkin. I cut it in chunks of similar sizes and then steam it in a steamer basket until soft. It doesn't take terribly long.

I'll mash it up to use in recipes - I figured this out when I was living overseas and couldn't get canned pumpkin puree.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:41 PM   #13  
weight, be gone!

S/C/G: 227/191/125

Height: 5' 4"

oh, YUMMMM!!!!!!

I LOVE pumpkin anything.... I've been thinking about pumpkin burgers lately especially, using lean ground turkey or extra lean beef with canned pumpkin (there are other spices too, but !!!!!

oh, there are just so many delicious things to do with pumpkin!
lolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:24 AM   #14  
Lets try this again

http://www.mom-mom.com/pumpkin_soup_recipes.htm
great soup ideas! of course can be modified to be diet friendly!

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...?recipe=520424
sounds simple!
Old 09-19-2010, 02:35 AM   #15  
Lets try this again

One more:

Bunch of recipes!
http://www.hungry-girl.com/askhg/ask...d=1894#pumpkin

MMMM:
http://www.hungry-girl.com/askhg/ask....php?isid=1885

Last edited by punkrprincessa; 09-19-2010 at 02:36 AM.