Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #1  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Default Very sore muscles...workout?

Hey everyone. I worked out hard yesterday. I feel good, but it was all stuff I don't do on a regular basis. My legs, butt, abs and arms are pretty sore. Should I still work out? And if I should, should I make it lower impact? I googled it but there is a lot of conflicting information out there...
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #2  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

it depends. for some people it helps to exercise, but less intense if you're really sore. stretching may help.
it also depends on the degree of soreness. does it hurt just to sit/walk? or it may just be more of a tension you feel in the muscles.
little while ago. i had major doms in the calves. hurt just to walk. but walking (around the house) helped it feel better. along with time.
if you're feeling good, maybe work opposite parts of your body.
remember doms are a good thing! you worked hard. and those muscles are growing, repairing. be proud of yourself
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #3  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

ok not sure which parts arent sore. maybe a good day for yoga or a light workout.
for me keeping it a daily habit- a little or alot, makes such a difference.
but if you decide on a rest day. i say you've earned it.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #4  

I think it really depends on the person. Sometimes I've found that working out actually HELPS my sore muscles. Even if you take the day off from exercise, make sure you stretch those muscles out, it might hurt at first, but in the end, you'll feel so much better!
ADelish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #5  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

It really hurts to move period. Especially when I am in the process of sitting or standing up! I think I will try to just do a low impact walking DVD just because I need to keep the habit going. And I will be sure to stretch. Thanks!!!
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

If you've got standard Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (ie, you didn't tear anything or otherwise injure yourself beyond just having a really good workout), cardio will help you feel better (increased bloodflow from cardio pushes more blood to the muscles, which flushes out the lactic acid buildup causing your pain). So definitely do something. I normally do BIG cardio the day after big strength - takes 10 min to loosen up, but after that I feel soooo much better.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkHoodie View Post
Hey everyone. I worked out hard yesterday. I feel good, but it was all stuff I don't do on a regular basis. My legs, butt, abs and arms are pretty sore. Should I still work out? And if I should, should I make it lower impact? I googled it but there is a lot of conflicting information out there...
Yes. When I first began working out I was so amazingly sore everywhere. It was so painful and awful. All the trainers I've used have asked you if you felt the burn and after that "isn't it great?" Well not really great for feeling wise.... I kept going and eventually it wasn't bad. Only recently I've had it coming back. I'm now doing some tougher exercises (for me) with my abs and arms and they're sore now. My abs area especially. What I do for sore muscles is drink milk and take a warm bath (not hot but luke warm). It seems to help me. And keep exercising those muscles. Just don't injure yourself. That wouldn't be too good. And yes stretching before and after does help. If you're doing exercises on your own and not with a trainer (even with a video from a trainer) remember that when you begin you want to warm up the muscles and at the end you want to stretch.

Last edited by LittlePinky82; 10-09-2010 at 03:02 PM.
LittlePinky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #8  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
If you've got standard Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (ie, you didn't tear anything or otherwise injure yourself beyond just having a really good workout), cardio will help you feel better (increased bloodflow from cardio pushes more blood to the muscles, which flushes out the lactic acid buildup causing your pain). So definitely do something. I normally do BIG cardio the day after big strength - takes 10 min to loosen up, but after that I feel soooo much better.
Oh this, definitely. I alternate lifting days with cardio days, so I always spin after a great lifting session. It takes about 10 minutes, but after that I'm good to go, business as usual. My muscles do get sore and stiff again within about an hour of class. I sometimes think if I could keep moving throughout the day they wouldn't hurt so much, actually, but I have to go to work. it's the sitting in the car that stiffens them up again.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:59 PM   #9  
Lisa

S/C/G: 300/290/180

Height: 5 feet 3 inches

I alternate cardio and strength days as well. If I'm extremely, painfully sore- I usually walk easy or swim.
Karatemom is offline   Reply With Quote