General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/176/140

Height: 5'4"

Lightbulb Weight loss pills...anyone tried them?

Ok, we've all seen the commercials and ads for the quicktrim, zantrex, jillian michaels quick start, hoodia, etc. Anyone ever tried them? What kind of results did you have?

I'm certainly not planning on substituting diet and exercise, I am just curious if these work or might jump start weight loss or maybe even help when I plateau.

I would also like to hear your opinions! Thanks in advance!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #2  
The journey begins...

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/140

I was thinking the same thing. You see so many adds for Alli, FDA approved. I was curious if it is helpful.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:03 PM   #3  

I e-mailed a friend from high school that's on the quicktrim...we'll see what she says!
Old 10-07-2010, 08:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

You might enjoy these posts. I am on Phentermine and have written quite a bit about it.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work-11/
Old 10-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #5  
Vegging out

S/C/G: 268/ticker/148

Height: 5'6"

I took Alli for a little while, I lost a bunch of weight in the beginning, but the more I look back on it, I think it was a) water weight, and b) the fact that I greatly reduced my fat intake that really affected my weight loss. I have been able to lose weight at just as quick a rate without it providing I was eating low fat and getting most of my calories from fruits and veggies and staying away from processed foods. I also think that the fact that I stopped eating meat at the same time as I started my weight loss may have played a role in how much I lost. So, as far as Alli goes, I would say save your money if you want it to help you lose weight, though it may be a great tool if you need some incentive to stay away from high fat foods.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:23 AM   #6  

Location: On Planet Earth...I'm waiting for the Oxygen levels to go up on the other planet's before I move

S/C/G: 250/125/120

Height: 5'3"

You have to be careful when choosing a diet pill some are just high in caffine so they boost your energy for short spurts and others cause diarrhea (though the ads will say its purpose is to cleanse your system). So if the pill box says it will cleanse your system plan to stay close to a toilet that day.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:50 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

In nearly 40 years of dieting, I've tried a lot of diet pills over the years (none in the last six years).

Most of them don't work. Of those that do work, many only work temporarily. Prescription drugs work better, but have more side effects.

The last diet drug I took was the prescription drug Meridia. It helped me lose about 20 lbs, and then it stopped decreasing my appetite (it also caused mood swings that frightened my husband, I would go days without sleeping and when I did sleep I'd wake up in the middle of the night, crying hysterically or panicking for no reason - and worse. He actually begged me to stop taking it, and made me promise never to take it again).

I've never tried orlistat (Alli) either otc or prescription, (though I've known people who it has helped). I have IBS, which means that I already often have unpredictable and sudden "emergency" need for a rest-room. I have enough near pants-pooping experiences, I don't want to take anything that could make that worse (even slightly).

It seems that most diet drugs (if they have any effect at all) either cause nervousness/jitteriness or diarrhea (or both).

I've lost a lot more money than I have pounds on diet medication.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:13 AM   #8  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Yeah, I don't recommend diet pills. I tried one a few years back and it was horrible. I couldn't sleep for days and felt shaky. After a week, I was having chest pains and was very fatigued. I learned my lesson.

Alli is a lower dosage of Xenical and the FDA just made the company disclose that Xenical may cause liver damage.

You really don't need any of that stuff to lose weight. What's the point of losing weight if you harm your body?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I think some diet pills can give you a little bit of an edge over normal weightloss. No pill is going to do the work you have to do though--which means staying on plan eating wise and getting some activity in your life. If a pill could do that, 3FC would probably not exist.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #10  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

fyi, I did use Alli for a while and it DID help..however, I was also running and counting calories carefully...how much was Alli and how much was my lifestyle responsible? I think the latter was the vast, vast majority. It will aid but you will just waste money with pills alone.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #11  

Hello guys,

Have you heard about the drug Sibutramin (Zytrim)?
Its effect is that it decreases your appetite to zero leaving you not wanting to eat for an entire day. I have a friend who took it and in all fairness, she dramatically lost weight. I think it was because she rarely eats a meal everyday. It might be effective for her but others also experience adverse effects.

Hope this helps.

Jean
Old 10-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 234/222.6/170

Height: 5'6

I just bought Alli and am going to try it. I just got a thing of 60 pills and I plan to eat 2 a day so it'll last me a month. I already eat a low fat diet and get exercise in so I'll see how/if it helps the process. Just looking to get me to a weight where working out harder will be more comfortable and get me there faster so I can really work as hard as possible...

My ex, who works at a health suppliment shop, said Alli is a very mild fat blocker. So it isn't meant to help you a ton but just to help get a few extra pounds off in a shorter amount of time. You're doing most of the work, obviously. It's just there to help.

Last edited by StuffedBunny; 10-08-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #13  

Thanks for all the info and advice! I DON'T plan on not exercising or continuing my diet in any way, shape or form. I will for sure continue with my plan. I was just wondering if anyone had tried them. I thought if/when I hit a plateau, I would be interested in possibly trying some. Thanks again ladies!
Old 10-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #14  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeankarla View Post
Hello guys,

Have you heard about the drug Sibutramin (Zytrim)?
Its effect is that it decreases your appetite to zero leaving you not wanting to eat for an entire day. I have a friend who took it and in all fairness, she dramatically lost weight. I think it was because she rarely eats a meal everyday. It might be effective for her but others also experience adverse effects.

Hope this helps.

Jean
That's the generic name for Meridia and it's been pulled off the market for safety reasons.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:56 AM   #15  

Hello 4star?

Oh my. Really? And why is that? Are there a lot of negative effects and adverse effects of the drug? I would want to know about it so that I can tell my friend who is taking this medication.

Thanks.

Jean
Closed Thread