Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-06-2010, 10:33 PM   #1  
165lbs or bust

S/C/G: 178/172/165

Height: 6'0"

Cool Heavy Bag work for fitness

Below is a blog that I added to my weight loss blog earlier today. My blog is located at:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/165orbroke/

Over the past few years there has been a noticeable increase in training devices, methods, ideologies, and fads to end up with a beautiful body with minimal time, and work. Most of these are ridiculously wrong, un proven, deceitful products and services. The true fitness industry is also unfortunately moving towards these new devices, and away from the past tried and tested ways to improve your body composition.

My favorite for years, and one of the most tried and true methods of getting into shape (and having fun too) is the heavy bag.

I have been into boxing and MMA as long as I can remember. The ability to master a technique, and continue to use that technique during total exhaustion is a mental strength test for anyone. And once you succeed and perform the technique that you spent so long perfecting, under the most adverse conditions, you feel like 1,000,000 bucks.

Hitting the heavy bag, whether it is for technique, fitness, or a combination of both is physically demanding, and a very strong test of your strength and stamina. It increases your definition in the upper body, is a strong cardiovascular work out, and helps with general self defense, and confidence.

Coming from a boxing and MMA background, I try to box for 3 to 5 minute rounds at high intensity. This is an amazing High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) workout. This is normally done to prepare for competition, so obviously the numbers are not set in stone. This helps with aerobic fitness. You will also be increasing should, arm, core, and leg strength from the strenuous activity.

Work out:
1x 2Minuite round of low intensity warm up. Focusing on technique. (2 minute rest)
4x 5Minute rounds of high intensity. Focusing on “swarming” or fast bursts of short punches i.e. hooks and uppercuts (2 minutes rest between rounds)
2x 5Minute rounds of high intensity. Focusing on “out fighter” slower paced long reach punches i.e. jabs straights and crosses with high focus on technique (2 minutes rest between rounds)
2x 4Minute rounds of ‘fun’ intensity. Shadow boxing and sparing with the bag

Quote:
…it ain’t how hard you hit; it’s about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward… Now, if you know what you’re worth, then go out and get what you’re worth.
165orbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:55 PM   #2  
Lisa

S/C/G: 300/290/180

Height: 5 feet 3 inches

Thanks. Love boxing, mainly for sparring. I've been doing boxing for about a year now.
Karatemom is offline   Reply With Quote