General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:05 AM   #1  

Default So many diets, which to choose?

I'm overwhelmed with the number of diet plans espoused. I'd like to change how I eat. First to lose weight, then to maintain it. I don't know where to start.

Which plans are best? Are some plans better for my body type. Which one has the fastest results, the most healthy results?

I need a bit of direction here. Thanks.
EyePatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:22 AM   #2  
closed

S/C/G: 227.5/217.4/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyePatch View Post
I'm overwhelmed with the number of diet plans espoused. I'd like to change how I eat. First to lose weight, then to maintain it. I don't know where to start.

Which plans are best? Are some plans better for my body type. Which one has the fastest results, the most healthy results?

I need a bit of direction here. Thanks.
Hi and welcome! I agree, there are many many plans to chose from, and it can seem so overwhelming! I think each of us at one time or another has tried "every diet plan known to man". It can make your head spin.

Think about what appeals to you. Are you someone who will be faithful about weighing and measuring every morsel that goes into you -- try calorie counting or one of the exchanges plans. Would you rather have those things calculated for you -- maybe Weight Watchers points would be good for you. Do you feel sluggish if you eat too many carbs -- maybe one of the low carb plans would be better for you.

Take some to think about things that may have worked for you in the past. I know, even though I've strayed to other plans in the past, that a lower carb plan works best for me. I also know that I can't stand fat free foods like mayo, cheese or salad dressing! I give those up completely rather than put FF versions in me,

There is SO MUCH information on this site; you can get lost for days in here. What I did when I found this site is spend some time reading, reading, and reading some more. I personally chose to use one the "exchange" system; a higher protein plan. I have started weighing and measuring my food, as I know that one of my downfalls is portion control and always trying to guess!

I have found this site to be such an inspiration! So take some time to poke around, ask alot of questions, and decide which plan appeals to you. It must be something that you know you will be able to stick with for the long haul!

~ ~
Flamanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:51 AM   #3  
The journey begins....

S/C/G: 215/202/140

Height: 5'4

I personally like Dr. Oz because he outlines what you cannot eat and it's not terribly limiting. I tried them all! Weight watchers was not successful for me. Carbs are my issue so I need to be told what I can't eat. Good luck.
Marie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #4  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Smile

Something else. Take a week and of your eating and really take a look at what your eating.

For me I learned
-I ate out entirely too much
-I was drinking to many high calorie drinks
-My portion sizes were too big
-I'm not big on carbs.
-I wasn't getting in enough exercise

Whatever you come up doesn't need to be changed overnight, but it might help you figure out what plan works best for you. Are you ok with most foods, but would like a fixed limit? Are you not really a carb person, and might try one of the low carb plans? DO you think veggies are the greatest thing and might try being vegetarian?

For me this is a lifestyle change, so I tried to find something I could stick to long term.

Also while you're looking for a plan, you can start with small changes. more water, parking father away so you walk a little more, more fruit, lean meats, more veggies, limiting processed foods. These are thing that are on just about all plans so you'll be getting a head start.

Good Luck
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:09 AM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I agree with everyone, write down how you normally eat and see what you can cut. Are you drinking a 6 pack of soda a day? Cut it out and switch to water or use some crystal light packs or something for flavor with your water.

Are you eating out all the time? Start making meals in advance at home- losing weight easily helped me learn to cook things in bulk.

Small changes here and there (don't go cold turkey unless you feel you can handle) really add up and make it easier to stick to in the long haul. Like if you give up soda make that the only thing you give up for a week (cuz it'll make you cranky!) then the next week add something else to your changes.

Then pick a plan you can handle. Look at your medical problems if you have any- with PCOS it's generally accepted to follow more of a south beach lifestyle, with diabetes maybe a low glycemic diet would be best, etc.

And if you pick a plan and it doesn't work for you it's OKAY to do something else! I first started out doing the fat smash diet but then switched to the south beach diet
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #6  

Awesome replies everyone, thank you.

I like the idea of seeing how I eat now and if there is a plan that can compliment it. I think it will be a low carb diet. This past friday I had a sub sandwich on white bread and about passed out afterwards from being too sleepy. Cutting carbs is also in line with my thinking that our bodies are still not used to eating processed foods, like white bread.

I could never give up meat, I enjoy it too much. I also don't drink soda, gave it four years ago and lost 20lbs when I did. I only drink water, coffee and tea. Sometimes bourbon. I drink at least 8 cups of water a day.
EyePatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #7  

Hello Eye Patch,

As for me, i have tried numerous diet plans althhrough out my life. It was exhausting jumping from one diet to another. Yes, they have worked. But, not for long. It makes me lose weight for about a month or two, yet I don't anymore beyond that.

Right now, I am looking at a new diet plan ,the raw foods diet. You might be interested in this just like how I was when I first knew about it. It is awesome.

Jean
jeankarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

I've had a life long battle with weight. I tried so many diets and they all worked for awhile, but then I eventually gained it back. This time has been completely different! I am counting calories and eating healthy, whole, unprocessed foods whenever possible. Exercise is also a big component and will be a part of my life now.

I agree with writing down your food to get a sense of what you are eating. Try to add 10 minutes of activity a day and increase it gradually. Make the transition with food and exercise gradual! Too much at once can just be overwhelming and you don't want to burn out. This is a long term commitment to getting healthy.

Good luck and you can do this!
Kristi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:52 AM   #9  

Hey Kristi,

I just would like to ask what diet really helped you lose weight? Or that what specific diet made a lot of change and proved to be successful? I wish to know more about it because right now, I'm considering about raw food diet as my main choice. I've seen a lot who were very successful following this dietary plan strictly and it were all worth it.

Let me know. Thanks.

Jean
jeankarla is offline   Reply With Quote