Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

Default Spaghetti Squash

Since I am off pasta I heard I could eat marinara and meatballs over Spaghetti Squash. I bought a nice pretty one and I am ready for it for dinner. I have no idea how to cook it. Anyone know?
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #2  
The journey begins....

S/C/G: 215/202/140

Height: 5'4

I think you puncture it like a potatoe and microwave it. I remember my mother screaming as a child because she did not puncture it enough and it exploded! Then you cut it in half and scoop out the "spaghetti". Good luck and enjoy!
Marie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #3  
Vegging out

S/C/G: 268/ticker/148

Height: 5'6"

The way I cook mine is by setting the oven at around 400, then I cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, spray the cut edges with non-stick cooking spray, and put cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet. Poke a few holes in the skin, add some water to the pan (maybe like 1/2 inch) and bake until it's tender. Then you can use a fork to scrape out the strands. If you overcook it, it does turn to mush, so be careful. I would think you could use the microwave as stated above, I do it with acorn and butternut squash, but I've never tried with spaghetti squash. Hope you enjoy it, however you cook it!
dudesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #4  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Mmm - spaghetti squash! Here are a couple of different ways (much like the other posters have already suggested).

In the oven:
Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds. Place the halves cut-side down on a sheet pan and roast at 350°F for about 45 minutes (or until you can easily pierce deep into one of them with the tip of a sharp knife).

In the microwave:
Nuke it on high for a couple of minutes to soften the rind; then cut it in half, scrape the seeds, and place the halves cut side down in a quarter of an inch of water and continue nuking on high until it’s done (about 10 minutes, depending on your microwave).

Combination:
Pierce the squash several times and microwave until it’s soft enough to cut in half. Then finish it in the oven, cut sides down.

In all cases, use a fork to scrape out the insides of the squash; it’s amazing how it comes out in strands just like spaghetti!
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

there's also zucchini pasta ... I never got the hang of the squash and I felt it never had the taste or texture of pasta.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Thank you so much for the responses. I opted for 45 minutes in the oven at 350. I cut it in half (which was VERY diffifult) put it cut side down on a baking sheet. Added water to fill the whole bottom of cooking sheet. The "spaghetti" scooped right out. It was actually one of the most fulfilling new meals of my new diet. I loved it as much as if it were real pasta... with marinara and meatballs.

YUM
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #7  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacygee View Post
I cut it in half (which was VERY diffifult) put it cut side down on a baking sheet.YUM
They ARE hard to cut... I hear (haven't tried it) that it's easier if you nuke the squash for 10 minutes first, then cut it, then proceed with whatever cooking method. It's good that you liked it - squash is a great calorie/carb saver.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 334/267/232 (For now)

Height: 5'2"

I just made this for the first time this week and I adored it. I went right out and bought another squash for later!
tamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

I LOVE spaghettie squash. I cook it in the crock pot. Pierce the squahs in several places with a knife, then put it in the crock pot whole. Add 1/2 cup of water and cook all day on low. To serve, take it out, cut in 1/2 the short way, scoop out the seeds and discard, then scoop out the "spaghetti" part. This is too good! Be careful when you take it out...it will be HOT! I use a potholder and tongs to help hold it. I also strain it in the mesh strainer over the sink so it is more dry like regular noodles.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote