South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 158/148/140

Height: 5'4"

Default V8 Fruit Fusion

Is this alright for phase 2? I found a light version of Fruit Fusion. I searched the forums and didn't find anything.
WibblyWobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #2  

Height: 5'3

Can't answer for South Beach but I do not recommend the light version of the juice. They ADD HFCS and artificial sweeteners and take out the fruit juice so it is no longer 100% juice. When you can have fruit use the full version and cut it down by an ounce-drink it over ice you will never know.
2Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #3  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

Well, I can't seem to find ingredients anywhere, but the website says it doesn't include HFCS, but I am one of the people who don't like to drink my calories ;0) Unless its a smoothie that will fill me up. I would assume its best not to drink because of the artificial stuff in it, and fruit juices can cause more cravings than whole fruit will. Everybody is different though... But, I don't know that fruit juice is even allowed in p2?
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:52 PM   #4  

This may sound odd, but can I ask why you want to drink it?

It only provides 1/4 c. of vegetables and 1/4 c. of fruit. SB doesn't recommend drinking fruit juice in any phase, and my understanding of their take on regular V8 as part of the diet is a way to get that 1/2 c. of vegetables in for breakfast for those who really can't stomach veggies at breakfast. (I am one of those people, and get my morning veggies in with a small glass of regular V8.) Also, you should only be having that 6-8 oz. serving of V8 once a day.

In the plan of SB, you need to eat a minimum of 4 1/2 c. of veggies per day, so a glass of the fusion isn't going to help you much overall. Honestly, I don't think a glass of it will hurt you much either, but if you're looking for a good way to get veggies in, this isn't really it.

Also, I wouldn't drink anything with fruit juice in it until you are fully established in P2 and your body will be able to acclimate to the instant kick of natural sugars you are going to get from it. Are you up to at least 2-3 starches and 2-3 fruits per day?

FYI - I did a google search on the ingredients in their Light Pomegranate Blueberry and this is what was listed:

Ingredients:
Water, Reconstituted Vegetable Juice (Water and Concentrated Juices of Sweet Potatoes, Purple Carrots, Carrots), Reconstituted Fruit Juice (Water and Concentrated Juices of Apples, Pomegranates, Blueberries), Natural Flavoring, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Malic Acid, Citric Acid, Lemon Juice Solids, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate), Sucralose.

Sweet potatoes are considered a starch on the beach, and carrots are limited as well. I wouldn't really call it SB-friendly.
SusanMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #5  

I have always kept juice in the house and had a glass between breakfast and lunch, often as a substitute for a snack. My normal juice of choice is diet cranberry juice. I will have to look into smoothies. I can see those becoming my juice substitute. I have never been a big fan of smoothies. They are often high in calories and used for meal replacements. I prefer eating a real meal and having a glass of juice instead. Any recipe suggestions for low cal smoothies that would make great snacks?
Old 10-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #6  

When I have a smoothie, here's what I do:

1/2 c. skim milk
1/2 c. 0% greek yogurt
1/2 (medium) frozen banana
handful of plain frozen strawberries
1 tsp. agave syrup (optional)

Blend until smooth and serve! You can also add flax if you'd like, but I've found that I'm not a fan of the texture when I do add it. Also, flax goes against your nut allowance for the day, and I usually burn through mine on natural peanut butter!

The higher protein in the greek yogurt should help balance out the fruit, so it shouldn't trigger a craving like eating an apple all by itself might. You can use plain non-fat yogurt as well, but I much prefer greek. I think this makes a lot even though it is just one serving.

Hope you find something that works for you!
SusanMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

fruit juices are generally not considered South Beach safe. The sugar is too available and can cause blood sugar spikes. As others mentioned whole fruits or pureed fruits in smoothies or with yogurt are a better choice. That recipe Susan posted looks good. IMO it doesn't need any extra sweetener with the fruit but your mileage may vary.

Last edited by CyndiM; 10-04-2010 at 08:18 PM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:38 AM   #8  

That recipe looks yummy. I will have to try it.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #9  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

A lot of times if I am wanting something sweet and keeping my calories really low I will have a 1/2 to whole banana and strawberries out of the freezer, in a blender and add water until smooth... If you use fresh instead of frozen just throw some ice in to make it more smoothie like...

Ive always got frozen bananas because I can't seem to eat them before they turn brown!
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:27 AM   #10  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I've been doing a lot more research about juices/fruit lately (ie at Dr. Mercola's site) and other sources and it seems that juice itself is pretty bad for you...just a big rush of concentrated sugar. I've even cut back a bit with the fruit in my smoothies. Just enough to sweeten up the greens.

Last edited by femmecreole; 10-06-2010 at 05:28 AM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote