Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #1  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default October Chat

I will start since no one else has in Ruth's absence.
Today, I stuck to plan. ate well so far, (having asparagus and a small steak for supper in a bit) and did my exercise. I walked 40 minutes, and later went to a 1 hr hot yoga class. This is quite aerobic for me, and I sweat a ton. I intend to to 90 minute classes on Saturday and Sunday. And go for some trail walks.
I think I will have to add in some weights and crunches to make sure the toning is good, although we did some good core stuff in yoga today, so not sure if the crunches are needed.

Planning on ordering a movie tonight. Happy weekend everyone, happy October
Old 10-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Fatmad Thanks for starting the October chat. You off to a great start with exercise and staying OP. Good for you.

I am starting Induction tomorrow. Will be one day behind you. Just can't handle the carbs. Sets off a craving and I overdo the carbs, so back to Atkins I go.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #3  

Started Atkins Induction today and with a whole new attitude. Approaching it with the attitude of what I can have that isn't allowed on other plans. Got my book out and reading it again too. I think with a new and fresh attitude, it will be a doable pleasure. After all, this is the way I need to eat in order to keep BG under control. They say the key to successfully getting BS under control and being healthy for a diabetic is learning that you have to take control and manage things yourself. I realize that I can't look at this as a diet any more, I have to look at this as a way to being healthy.

Fatmad How did your Day 1 go? Maybe we can encourage each other with this woe lifestyle.

Hope everyone have a great weekend.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #4  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

MADELEINE ~ thanks for starting the new thread; it is appreciated, as I am keeping 2-3 others threads going as well. I wasn't here yesterday as we had a very busy day doing a lot of running around, shopping & walking; plus paying bills and doing errands, etc. Boy, were my legs & feet glad to rest last night; I went to bed a bit earlier too ...

Guess who had a bit of the ***white stuff*** fall today? I think this is the earliest I can recall, but it was very light and melted as soon as it touched ground. We had to go back up town today for other stuff we needed, and the weather has been so varied just in one day; we had ***, then , and , then again, but now the sun is gone behind a big fur tree and it feels chilly in here again. We had to put the furnace on but it only ran once and then stopped. It will come back on during the night I'm sure as it is supposed to get down into the 30's F here ...

We had a pair of WHISKEY-JACKS (or gray-jays) here all week and today they were stocking up on food for the winter. They kept coming back and filling their beaks/gullets and carting the food to different places. They had a run-in with some blackbirds (grackles) the other day, but I think they have
finally left for the south as we haven't seen them here since. We put out a bit extra food for them for their long trip.

We had leftover BBQ spit chicken with some veggies & new potatoes. WE ate much later tonight as we got home late from shopping so lunch was late as well, but I did make a pot of roasted veggie soup with barley & lentils for lunch. That was so nice an a cold day like today. I think we are all set for winter; DH and I stocked up on socks and such. I also picked up some things I was missing in my pantry as I like to stock up for the winter at this time of year.

Well, dinner & cleanup are all finished, then put away some stuff in the cubby for storage for a little while. Hope you all are having a great weekend ... ttyl, Rosebud
Old 10-02-2010, 11:35 PM   #5  
Madeleine

Rosebud: they are threatening some snow for us tomorrow as well, so who knew autumn is the new winter!
I went for a 90 minute yoga class, but they had shortened it to only 60. Didn't get out for a walk today, it was rainy and we did a lot of errands, tho if walking through stores counts as exercise, home depot did it for me.
My back is having problems tho. The yoga helps, but I am hoping its just because I am not used to exercising so much and its just sore muscles.
Sticking to plan. Trish, you gotta try these heroin chicken wings. They were awesome. tho messy for the oven. had them with veggies and blue cheese dip. was worth avoiding dairy the rest of the day for it.
I found a copy of the 2002 book and am going by that. BTW, they also published atkins for life that year, a whole book about long term lifestyle with meal plans for 45, 60 and 100g carbs/day depending on where you settle in for maintenance. Yes, this is where we will settle in long term, but induction is not a permanent state of being. I am reading and re-reading parts of the book like its a lifeline into weight loss, which it is.
hope everyone is having a good weekend.
right now i am doing ok with induction, lets see what tomorrow brings.
breakfast plan, omelet with spinach and feta. avocado for snack. (thats when I miss lemons, cursed allergies)
I am really not doing the sweets, avoiding most splenda. Its really hard at times. I am a sweet-a-holic. I have curbed my sweet intake, but I haven't really quit them, so I am letting that go this time. I went off the the splenda a while back, and have been using a lot less since I allowed it back into my life. keep it up trish, you can do it.
ttfn
Old 10-03-2010, 03:46 PM   #6  

My first day back on Induction went great. I actually enjoyed the day and the food.

MADELEINE Wondered what your name was. Glad to know. The 2002 book is the one I've got and going by as well. Never heard of the Heroin wings, but looked it up online so will try them. Any suggestions on best way? I absolutely love wings and it makes you feel like you are eating so much more than you are. a good psychological thing I think. I cook them rather plain for now... wrap mine in foil and cook them in my toaster over, then when done I open up the foil and broil them until they have a crusty top (making them a crunchy food). Just use salt on them so the heroin recipe will be a nice change. I've got chicken wings in the little oven now.

I've been making myself a 2 eggs salad with celery, bacon and mato for breakfast, lunch today was homemade lowcarb chicken soup. Just put a little celery, onion, broccoli and cauliflower in it with a chicken thigh and a chicken breast. Will have a snack ham, celery and cream cheese roll ups before I go to church and have my chicken thighs when I get home with a salad of greens and mayo. I love salads with mayo instead of dressing and Duke's brand has no sugar.

Rosebud I just know your house always smells so good with your cooking. I love BBQ, but haven't found a low carb friendly brand locally yet. I keep telling DH that we need to drive over to Matthews, NC to the Trader Joe's as I think they carry a lot of low carb friendly stuff. In the meantime, I've got to hit Walmart tomorrow to get some Atkins friendly foods.

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #7  
Madeleine

Trish, can't get Dukes Mayo up here. In fact, I am griping after going shopping yesterday. I basically have a choice of 2 stores, and they both seem interested in LIMITING the brands available, not expanding them. SO for may I can get helmans, and a store brand. thats it. You wouldn't know it, there is a big shelf of mayo, but its in different sizes and packaging, (jar or squeeze bottle) etc.
Recently, they seem to have cut out my brand of tea. (hence my ranting)
THere are a lot of brands from europe and the US I would like to try. Sometimes I can get them at specialty stores, but its a pain. I went to a specialty store yesterday, they had a nice shelf of diabetic products, got a mayo to try that uses splenda instead of sugar, (whats wrong with none?)
and a chocolate syrup. The sorbee choc syrup is awful, but this at least taste s like chocolate, so I have hope.
Next time I visit my dad I may go grocery shopping in BUffalo just to get some other brands thats are not available here.
Went for a nice walk today, but the back was still sore, so didn't go to a yoga class, think I will do some yoga stuff at home tonight, without the class, so I can avoid the back bends, they seem to aggravate it.
so yes, look up the heroin wings and give a try. I have a nice wing sauce for dipping. I tried using that before rolling the wings in the cheese, but it didn't work well. So I will just dip after cooking.
having leftovers today. mmm
Old 10-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #8  
Linda

S/C/G: 182/169/135

Height: 5' 2

Good morning.

Looks like everyone is starting back on induction, Me too, although with a few more carbs, maybe I can call it phase 2.

Madeline, thank you for reminding me of Atkins for Life. I bought the whole kit when it first came out. Must go find that.

Yes, you have to try the herion wings. They are so yummy when fresh out of the oven.

I agree Sorbee chocolate is yucky. I did buy some SF chocolate while I was in the States which we can't get here. It's made by Dove and it's very good.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #9  
In it 4 the long haul

S/C/G: 161/see ticker/120

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Good afternoon girls...........

I have been out of pocket for almost the past week. I have not been on here much. I have been checking up and sounds like you all are doing well with eating and some exercising.........

I have not been being good with my eating. I will blame that on not being at home the biggest part of the time but really it is my fault. I am trying hard to get on track but not doing so well. I did just finish a 3 mile boot camp work out by Leslie Sansone. Picked it up at walmart yesterday.

Some updates on my kids............

Friday when we got home from BIL funeral (stayed until late afternoon) I got a phone call from my daughter. She was checking on my biopsy results which by the way showed normal tissue so must have been just some screwy periods I was having. She is having some female problems as well and told me that she is going to have an exploratory lap done on this coming Tues. I asked her if I could be there and she told me her husband would be there and I told her that I did not care and still wanted to be there and she told me that was ok. I got some wonderful advice from one of my SIL at the funeral on Friday. Told me that I did not want to loose my daughter and that if that meant being around him then that was what I needed to do. If not then if the time came for them to divorce then she might not feel comfortable about coming to me for help or even coming back home. She will call me this afternoon and let me know what time to meet them at the hospital.

My son (the one I had the disagreement with) invited me over to supper last night. Just me and him. We had a good talk and decided to work harder on our relationship even though we did not always agree with each other.

My youngest son had breakfast with us at a local restaurant on Sunday morning. It was just good seeing him and able to talk for a bit. Did not even harp on him about not having a job.

God has blessed me this past few days with being able to spend some time with my kids and work on our relationships. I am so thankful.

Rosebud Thank you for making me laugh last week with your comments on my kids. I needed a good laugh. I had definitely cried enough.

Thank you so much for being here you are very much appreciated..........
Leann
Old 10-04-2010, 07:15 PM   #10  
Madeleine

Leann: your SIL sounds like a wise woman. I think my own sister lost a couple of friends by not liking their mates, and being vocal about it. THe friends didn't patch it up even after the divorces, so that may be true. I can't stand my sister's husband, but have never said so. I just listen when she wants to gripe.
its good that you are just accepting him being there.
I usually get to see men at their best with their wives in labour, most are quite wonderful then, and I am sure it will be like that for this procedure. You may see a side of him you can appreciate, if nothing else.

There heroin wings were wonderful.
BUt no weight loss this first few days on induction. It may sound weird, but I am going to increase my fat intake for a few days and hope for the best.

Lindyloo, I leave for Edmonton on Wednesday morning, have a conference until Friday, staying to shop a bit on Saturday before coming home. I will think of you and wave!
Old 10-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #11  

Hi Everyone

Have had a great OP day. Day 3 on Induction. Blood sugar was up this morning, but it was because I stayed up waayyyy toooooo late with DH last night and it usually goes up when I don't get enough sleep. It was back down after lunch. I have a routine/plan (schedule) for each day of how I'm eating to stay on Induction to keep my carbs to 20 grams, so all is fine. I've been more active but no formal exercise. I may work on getting that going tomorrow. We are planning a trip the end of the month to visit DH son and his family. Not sure how I'm going to work my low carb diet for then, but have to stay as low carb as possible. I'll have to do some planning between now and then.

Leeann I agree with everyone about you DD husband. My oldest son's wife didn't like any of his family and we had not relationship with them the whole time they were married. Got along with his second wife. His 3rd wife was fine until they married and I married. She doesn't like any of his family so we don't hear from him any more. He used to sneak to call me especially on Mother's day, but the last time he called she caught him and I've never heard from him since. I'm so glad things are working out for you and your kids relationships.

Lindyloo and Madeleine I got the parmesan (sp) cheese today to make the heroin wings one day. I love wings anyway so have to watch how many I fix because I could eat the whole bag. It will be nice to have a different way to fix them. I usually make them plain, but have made buffalo wings as well.

Madeleine The problem we have here about certain brands is they don't carry them all the time. There is a brand of milk called Count Down by Hood which has 3 grams carb and 90 calories in their regular milk and their chocolate, but the only place I can get it doesn't carry the chocolate all the time. Walmart has a Soy milk that has a vanilla and a chocolate flavor. Trouble is they never have the chocolate any more. I finally bought the vanilla today because I was at Walmart and it has only 1 gram carb per serving. It tastes pretty good... I just hope they will have it next time I go. I bought the last 2 cartons they had.

Have a good night.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #12  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

LEANN ~ You're quite welcome! I agree with your SIL & Madeleine -- the most important thing is loving your daughter and maintaining your relationship with her, no matter who she is married to. You only have to practice tolerance and as Mad says, every now & then, you will see a glimpse of why she loves him. Besides, it will also be good practice for when your boys marry down the road too; and I know that you want to be an of a MIL ...

MADELEINE ~ today, we were totally blessed with and temps in the 70's too, and that is supposed to last all week. Finally, our real fall is here ...

LINDYLOO ~ good luck with your plan ...

TRISH ~ you are more patient than me -- I can't be bothered going all over the place for a different bottle of this or a carton of that. I just buy the best one I can find at our two local food stores; and some things I just have cut out or make my own. I am fortunate that my BSL's are doing good now; but I have to watch the sugar and my portion sizes the most.

Becuz of the lovely weather, we went up town to pay bills and pick up some things at a new dollar store here; and a bulk food place. We had a very small lunch (DH & I shared a slice of pizza), but I sure got lots & lots of walking in today; so, I am resting my tired legs now.

I was just reading a story in the OUR CANADA magazine about a lady who went on a trip with her DH to Italy when she was pregnant. It was interesting to hear her point of view of Rome, but she said that maybe she was jaded becuz they went in July and it was over 110 degrees F for the whole time. She said the food always seemed to be something akin to Chef Boy R Dee at every restaurant they went to; and their hotel was too far out of the city as well. I sure hope RUTH picked better places than they did, but then she has been there before ...

The wings sound lovely ladies, but since they are high in calories for my plan, I have either breasts or drums more often. Hope you all have a wonderful week ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-04-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:20 PM   #13  

I've had a great day OP. Even did the Leslie Sansone's Power 1 mile walk. So I have formal exercises started. I read where Atkins book says start out doing 2 days a week and build up. However, I am going to attempt 3 days though. I usually am very busy Monday, Wednesday and Friday which with walking envolved those days so my goal is to exercise Tues, Thurs and Sat.

I have a question. I asked it on Atkins since I'm doing Atkins, but I want to ask it here because of the diabetes and taking Metformin. On Metformin, we don't have the problem of hypoglycemia situations that you get on other meds. I usually eat 3 meals and a snack each day. My question is this... Do you eat when you are not hungry? To me eating when you are not hungry is not wise or a good thing. I had 2 good meals today and loved the heroin wings. Evidently it satisfied me so that I have not been hungry since then. I did make a low carb vanilla ice cream with Stevia instead of Splenda and I'm am totally fine. My doc had said I could eat ice cream in place of a meal, but he was thinking of regular ice cream with sugar. I'm just thinking that the fat on the wings and my salad and then in the ice cream must be doing its job of curbing my appetite.

When I was a teenager and was thin (never was skinny), I never ate more than 2 meals with a snack once in a while. Today's eating has actually felt more like the way I ate back then. Maybe Atkins is going to help me get back to what was originally normal for me.

I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Oh Lindyloo and Madeleine I took chicken tenders and cut them up and made DH chicken nuggets with the heroin wing recipe using season salt instead of the oregano and he loved it. This will be a regular in our house for sure.

Hope everyone has had a great day.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:56 PM   #14  
Madeleine

Trish, one of the points with atkins and with diabetes, is to keep sugars steady and not have highs and lows that trigger eating outside of plan.
So small frequent meals are the idea. The smaller meals don't challenge our bodies in the same way.
that said, I often find the atkins meals quite satisfying, but then get really hungry when I get hungry. So, I have learned to eat "ahead" a bit so I don't get overly hungry, which leads me away from plan. But you also have to figure you what is right for you. I find the arbitrary ideas of breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and supper doesn't work so well, I usually have breakfast at 730 to 8, and with lunch at noon, don't usually need any snack in between. I MUST have a snack between 3 and 4 pm, and prefer supper a little later, between 6 and 7, but also seem to need something just before bed. SO I have adjusted to my own body clock. If I eat breakfast earlier for some reason, I may have a morning snack if there will be a long gap before lunch. Its hard at times with irregular hours.
Glad you enjoyed the wings, I appreciate hearing about them on the forum.
I will be in Edmonton at a conference for a few days, will have internet, so may check in briefly. at an airport hotel for the night, hoping to get some sleep before I leave at 5 am.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:27 AM   #15  

Thanks Madeleine I believe you are right so will work at getting meals and snacks more regulated.

Just a quick flyby to say hello and have a great day.
Closed Thread