Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #1  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Strength training/exercise DVDs every day?

Ok, back in the day when I was in high school/college I was always told you shouldn't do weights every day and even then you should switch between muscle groups (like shoulders/back/arms and legs). However, now with the Biggest Loser and the emergence of the 30 Day Shred, which advocates doing the video every day, I've been wondering if that advice changed? Granted in the 30 Day Shred they're doing dynamical weight training. So lots of movement and not very heavy weights.

So is it ok to do these type of things every day? I don't want to get injured. I prefer to run but the weather has been horrible lately so videos are the only thing I can really do. Plus, with winter coming I need some sort of plan.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #2  

You are inviting trouble if you exercise the same muscles every day. Even the BL on the ranch only strength trains 2 hours a day, more than that is counter productive, and does different muscles on different days.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #3  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
You are inviting trouble if you exercise the same muscles every day. Even the BL on the ranch only strength trains 2 hours a day, more than that is counter productive, and does different muscles on different days.
Ok, so I'm not crazy thinking that. So why do they recommend doing the 30 Day Shred every day??????
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
Granted in the 30 Day Shred they're doing dynamical weight training. So lots of movement and not very heavy weights.
I am FAR from an expert, but in my experience with the 30DS - I've been using it pretty consistently since March, alternating with other DVDs - I agree with what you've written above.

If you count it up, the 25 minutes of the workout only incorporate about 6-7 minutes of strength training, and even then it's pretty low-intensity. Now, it doesn't feel low-intensity, especially when you start, but I only ever had really achy muscles the first couple of times I did any of the three levels. In that case, I wouldn't do the same workout again without a rest day in between.

Just a side note - I love that, living in the South, I exercise indoors all summer, and now I can't wait for the weather to cool down so I can start walking and jogging again. You, obviously, have the opposite problem!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Generally, the every-other-day thing applies to lifting heavy weights, not 3-5-8-lb dumbbells. For example, you can do pushups every single day. Not a problem.

As far as exercising every single day, I like to take at least one rest day/week (I might walk, but nothing more).
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote