Old 10-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Default Back to Induction & Committed

I started back on Atkins Induction today. The only difference is that I am totally committed this time.

I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes back in June, but I'm blessed to not have had really high numbers. Doctor game me 3 diet choices. One was low carb, but not like any low carb that I've ever done. I did the Atkins Induction and then went to 30 g carbs per Dr. Bernstein's book. My first trip back to doctor in July my BS was down some and my other numbers were better although not perfect. When I told my doctor that I was only eating 20 g carbs daily, he was concerned about it not even being 1 and a half cups of starches daily. However, he also said, "The numbers don't lie. Your numbers are better". Last month when I went back, my numbers were even better and my bloodwork showed that my BS was in the normal range where he wanted it to be and my BP was normal. The cholesterol/triglyceride numbers were still not perfect but he said that was because my liver is moving things around.

I came home and decided I wanted to switch to calorie counting, but it didn't work. The BS numbers started going back up. I am totally convinced that low carb is the only way for me to eat. My blood work proved it. So this morning, I went back Atkins Induction. I am changing my attitude about it as well. There are certain protein foods that I love that I could never eat on lowfat or any other diet and I love veggies as well as salads with mayonnaise. From now on my focus is going to be on what I can have and forget about what I cannot have. I think that is how you have to look at low carbing.

For breakfast I made an egg salad, lunch was a veal cutlet with a slice of cheese on top and a salad with mayo. I've got chicken wings in the oven and will have green beans with that. I plan on enjoying my 2 weeks of Induction. I go back for blood work 2 days after Christmas and see the doctor again the 2nd of January. While I hope to have a really good weight loss when I go back, having the diabetes under control and great blood work results is my biggest goal for now. I know Atkins will give me that.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

back Trish!
I'm sorry to hear of your diabetes diagnosis but, it sounds like you've made the right decision coming back to Atkins.
My suggestion to you would be to read Dr. Atkins Diabetes Revolution. Its packed with very insightful information.
MY DBF got his HDL up, his LDL down and his triglycerides down doing low carb. It works!
You CAN do this!!
All the best to you!!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #3  

Thanks Jerseygyrl I have the book and I'm reading it again. It is a really great help to me.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:11 PM   #4  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Taking the first step is the best thing

You can see the benefits which is great, I think you should continue with it. It's working pretty well for me right now, I'm quite happy
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:34 AM   #5  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Trish, I wish you the very best on your journey back to the good health you deserve. I do the same thing on Atkins: I focus on all the delicious things I can have and don't worry about the things I can't.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #6  
Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 249/ticker/179

Height: 5'11"

Hi Trish! Welcome back. I love your attitude, Induction has a lot of delicious and filling foods to offer - enjoy your eating, I know your numbers will be amazing when you go back!
Glamazon08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #7  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

So how is it going now trish? A few days in are you having atkins flu? or terrible cravings? I am surprised how I am not, but so far so good. Hardest for me this time is to keep the dairy servings to plan, and not have too many dairy carbs in my carb count, instead of veggies. I love the veggies, so don't want to miss out on them anyhow.
I think you attitude shift (what you can enjoy, not what you are not having) is helpful. Glass half full, right? Lots of docs believe that the mental game is half the battle, so you are on the right track.
Have a great week on induction.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #8  

Thanks everyone for the welcome back and the encouragment. I am actually enjoying my first few days of Induction and other than being a little tired, I'm not experiencing the Atkins flu like I have in the past. I think the difference is that I got the book and I'm understanding the program better than I did in the past. And other than the sliced ham with no preservatives etc, I'm eating real food this time instead of processed. Plus the change in attitude and the commitment makes a big difference as well. Even looking at the diabetes differently... got the idea from one of the diabetic books I read. Basically she said to look at diabetes as a friend not an enemy as it will help you get your life turned around to healthy eating and exercise. I'm thankful that I found out about mine early before it did any damage. Hopefully, thanks to Atkins plan, it never will.

Sunday is a little different eating schedule from my other days because of church this morning and tonight. I only eat 3 meals and a snack and don't eat until actually hungry. So I've switched my evening meal with my evening snack to compensate. This is so easy to do with Atkins. It was a cold day today so I made a chicken soup with my chicken pieces and Atkins friendly veggies. I'm finding it easy to have foods I like with the foods allowed. I think me finally settling down that this is the way my body needs me to eat then making the commitment is the big difference this time around.

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:55 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

I got really tired at the beginning, too. Just hang in there . Good luck on getting your health in order.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote