South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 09-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/189/140

Height: 5'4"

Default SB friendly canned soups (phase 2)

I have a terrible cold and am so exhausted. My husband has been feeding the kids and I have been living on hot tea, ww crackers, and a little yogurt for a couple days. Last night I had a bit of roasted chicken. I can't taste anything, and nothing sounds good at all.

Are there any SB-friendly canned soups? I am too tired to make homemade. I had a can of vegetarian minestrone in the pantry that I heated up for lunch, but I know it's not good because of the pasta. Hubby would be willing to stop at the grocery on his way home.

thanks
moki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #2  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I have eaten minestrone and just removed the pasta. I also like Amy's Low Fat Black Bean Chili & Progresso Lentil. I try to keep some on hand in case I have nothing prepared and need to eat. Look for added potato, potato starches, white rice or rice starches, cream, etc. in the list of ingredients. Unfortunately, most of the commercial soups are not SB approved. Even some of the organic ones have brown cane syrup, rice syrup and added starches.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I usually keep a few cans of Progress Lentil Soup on hand for emergency meals, along with Trader Joe's Black Bean Soup and Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup. Miso soup is another goodie, and you can add all kinds of leftover tidbits to it.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 177/144/145

Has anyone looked at the v8 soups? I have been avoiding them for reasons of economy, but they are tasty. I think their roasted red pepper and tomato one is okay, but I can't remember!
Usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:37 PM   #5  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usernametaken View Post
Has anyone looked at the v8 soups? I have been avoiding them for reasons of economy, but they are tasty. I think their roasted red pepper and tomato one is okay, but I can't remember!
Here's the ingredients for the Tomato Herb:

Ingredients:

Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Water, Carrots, Red Peppers, Contains Less than 2% of: Zucchini, Sugar, Dehydrated Potatoes, Dehydrated Onions, Modified Food Starch, Parmesan Cheese (Part-Skim Milk, Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Sea Salt, Spice, Dehydrated Red Peppers, Yeast Extract, Roasted Red Peppers, Garlic, Salt, Corn Syrup, Flavoring, Lower Sodium Natural Sea Salt, Citric Acid, Soy Lecithin, Paprika Extract for Color.

Here's the ingredients for the Red Pepper one:

Ingredients: Water, Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Red Peppers, Crushed Tomatoes (Water, Concentrated Crushed Tomatoes), Black Bean Flakes, Dehydrated Potatoes, Contains Less than 2% of the Following: Cream (Milk), Sugar, Roasted Red Bell Pepper Puree, Salt, Modified Food Starch, Butter (Cream [Milk], Salt), Dehydrated Leeks, Carrots, Cabbage, Onions, Corn Syrup, Celery, Celery Leaves, Yeast Extract, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Roasted Garlic Puree, Spice Extract (Contains Soy Lecithin), Parsley, Paprika Extract (for Color).

They both have cream, potatoes, corn syrup and added food starch so I haven't tried them.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #6  
honeysox

S/C/G: 216/207/150

I frequently make tomato soup from 1/2 tomato juice, 1/2 unsweetened almond milk, with a sprinkle of Splenda. I heat it in the microwave. I like it as much as Campbell's.
honeysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:01 AM   #7  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

I was just at Whole Foods, so I checked - Amy's Chunky Vegetable looks fine - except it has corn. Amy's tomato soups all had cane juice added Boo

I checked online. Once you eliminate the Amy's soups with cane juice, cream, potatoes and pasta (although those last two ingredients could just be picked around), what comes up SBD-friendly are: Curried Lentil, Spanish Rice & Red Bean, Golden Lentil, French Country Vegetable, Rustic Italian Vegetable, Split Pea, Tuscan Bean & Rice and Vegetable Barley.

LOTS of sodium in these. Many of them come in a less-sodium version.

Whew, that was fun! Now I don't have to think about this if I get sick and want soup. And no, I don't work for Amy's - it's just that's what was in my face in the store...
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:05 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

I know you said you were too tired to make homemade, but I use organic low sodium chicken broth (seriously, only 95 mg of sodium!!!) and toss in some diced carrots and thinly sliced celery w/ some green onions. Sprinkle in a little powder and you've got an easy and tasty enough soup to help you get through.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:24 AM   #9  
Be happy.

In a pinch I put canned or frozen veggies and beans in V8 juice and heat it in the microwave. It's almost as quick as opening a can and tastes pretty good.

My husband adds a little tabasco tp his, but I just add salt and pepper.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 198/189/140

thanks, all. I ended up with some Progresso vegetarian vegetable. I didn't even bother picking out the no no veggies, there weren't very many of them. I was just happy it wasn't chicken noodle!

I am feeling a bit better today, so i might try making chicken tortilla soup tonight. It is nice and spicy, so maybe I can taste it! I will eat it without the tortillas, don't worry. I am making a huge batch so I can freeze some. With 3 kids, I know this isn't the last cold of the year
moki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:45 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

I will say that when I get sick the best thing for me seems to be a nice big bowl of hot and sour soup. YUM!!! And it really clears out the sinuses, LOL
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote