General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-01-2010, 02:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

Default Tanning beds?

I want to do a little bit of fake tanning, but I've never done it before...I know it's bad for you and all of that but it won't be extensive, just a few sessions to cover a few flaws and get some color in my skin. One thing I'm concerned about is my weight/size. I googled tanning bed weight limits and I got a forum of a bunch of rude people who own tanning salons talking about "fatties" breaking their tanning beds and that terrifies me! I don't want to be that fat girl who breaks the tanning beds.

Does anyone else use tanning beds while overweight, or used to before they lost weight? I'm around 265 right now. Would I be able to fit in the bed? Would I break it? I also read in that thread that bigger people have to pay more for high pressure beds because it's the only ones they fit in. How small are the cheaper beds? I don't want to pay a fortune.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:23 AM   #2  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

Have you ever thought of a spray tan?
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:12 AM   #3  

No, I don't really like spray tans. I've heard they can come out blotchy. I'd much rather use a tanning bed.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:27 AM   #4  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

After a Google search I found that base beds typically support up to 250 lbs. I've never used a tanning bed before though. On the contrary, I carry parasols in summer!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:29 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

Not that I recommend tanning beds but if you insist on tanning how about a stand up booth?
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Have you ever considered the tanning lotions that you just rub on.

I tanned for YEARS and really, really regret it now. Not because of the way it made me look but because of the damage and risk I have taken on because of my choice to do it. I can honestly tell you though I LOVE the rub on lotions and the way they LOOK! I think the tan looks better than what I ever got from the bed.

I use the Kroger brand summer glow lotion. It is less than 3 bucks. Other good ones are made from Oil of Olay and Jergens.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsy View Post
No, I don't really like spray tans. I've heard they can come out blotchy. I'd much rather use a tanning bed.
Blotchy vs. cancer...blotchy vs. cancer...

That is a toughie.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #8  

Thanks for the helpful info. My mom who is bigger and heavier than me told me she used to tan in the medium bed and it was fine. I booked an appointment for tomorrow at 12:15 in the medium bed so I'll see how it goes. I've never tanned before so I'm a little bit concerned about getting claustrophobic. I hate small spaces but I might be comforted by the fact that it's not a totally enclosed space and I could get out if I want to.

How many minutes do you recommend for somebody who doesn't tan much at all, even outdoors? I spend a lot of time inside even during the summer so my skin is rather pale. I don't want to burn. Would 5-7 minutes be good starting out, about 2-3 times a week? Should I take it slower than that?

Last edited by Linsy; 10-01-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 243

Height: 5'5.5

Don't make her feel bad for asking about the tanning bed.... she already knows the risk and is really asking for people who know the answer to her specific question to help. Its not about "should I tan".

In my past tanning experiences I've used the super beds where you don't actually lay down on the plastic cover with the bulbs... you lay on a mat and turn over 1/2 way through. I'm sure those beds support heavier weight.... also some salons offer the stand up beds... I've never used one but I'm sure that would be a great solution if you are worried about damage.

Good luck sweetie
GeeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

I don't tan anymore (I won't get into the cancer argument) but I will say that when I did, the stand up beds were better anyways than the lie-down ones. Have you tried calling or going to the salon of your choice to see what their specific equipment is & the capacity? If you have claustrophobia issues, a stand-up will be a lot more comfortable for you anyways. Like SteelersFan says, you need to ask the staff about the individual beds because the beds can lose their intensity over time (bulb changes, etc) and you might be going to a salon with multiple brands so a time in one stand-up can be the same as a lie-down, but different than the other stand-up, iykwim??

Last edited by sacha; 10-01-2010 at 11:01 PM.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

When I was much younger and thinner (you know, like actually in my healthy weight range...it's a distant memory, but it's back there) my mom had a tanning bed in our house, then a stand up booth. For both, even then, I had to do some contorting to get an even tan. I think that would be pretty difficult at the size I am now. I can imagine finding myself with a pretty odd, patchy tan in no time.

Also, it has to be said, there really is no healthy way to tan. I know there are benefits (treating SAD and some skin issues) but man, I just couldn't comfortably do it, knowing what I know now. I think about all those hours I spent in the sun and on tanning beds and I just pray that's not something I'm eventually going to have to pay for.

Even if you do go the tanning bed route, you can speed things along with a good self tanner. I am HOPELESS with getting them on without streaking but I've found two that even I can't mess up. One is Ocean Potion's Endless Sun and the other is some kind of hemp lotion. Malibu Hemp Golden Glow Skin Firming Bronzing Moisturizer. I think those are all the words, possibly not in the right order. It really does tighten skin, btw. I know it's only temporary but if I'm wearing shorts, I want all the help I can get. My legs are miraculously not bumpy but this really tightens things up. ANYWAY, I use these on my legs in the summer. Because my upper body is out of the pool more, my arms get tan and my legs don't. It looks weird. It's hot, I'm wearing shorts, so I use these products (usually which ever one I can find in the store) to even things out. You don't have to be too careful, it's very subtle, they don't stink, and they don't streak or stain your clothes.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

^I don't think the OP is all that offended, she seems to be ignoring the people who state things about tanning. While exposure can help people with certain skin conditions, the health & science studies about the effects of tanning/UV rays/general sun exposure are quite clear and to most people, it's no different than asking about safe levels of marijuana smoking (the cost outweighs the benefit for people with certain ailments, but it's still smoke damage to the lungs). People are only concerned about her health.

Anyways, I gave her some info about actual beds & such, but I don't think people are out of line for suggesting she look into creams & lotions. I've always turned out fine using them when applied properly.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #13  

I chose to ignore the people who are talking about the heath concerns etc, because I already stated that I know but I'm going anyway. It's my choice if I want to tan. Thank you Steelers for answering my questions and being helpful.

That aside, I went today and I loved it! It was a great experience and different than what I expected. I bought a Lovestruck tanning accelerator which wasn't too expensive and the eyewear and went into the room with the bed. The bed was VERY nice and roomy and I had tons of wiggle room so I wasn't claustrophobic at all. The bed looked spotlessly clean and there was a sign that said it was cleaned. There was also a bottle of cleaner on the shelf. My inner germaphobe wasn't ringing any alarm bells.

I do plan on rubbing the lotion on at home next time so I can be more thorough. All in all I had nothing to worry about and it was great, but I'm glad I researched it first. I have another appointment for Monday.

Last edited by Linsy; 10-02-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:06 AM   #14  

Yeah, I thought it might rub off if I did that. It was hard to get it even because I felt rushed, but the place seemed pretty empty so I probably had plenty of time. I was dreading the whole experience, thinking I'd be stressed out and claustrophobic the whole time but it wasn't like that at all. I'm looking forward to my next session and I can't wait until the tan starts showing.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 169/124/124

Height: 5'4"

I haven't tanned in years but when I do go, I always got the most even tan from the stand up booths.
Prism21 is offline   Reply With Quote