Old 09-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #1  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Default The New "French Atkins"???

Anybody else read about the new "French Atkins" diet? It's featured as the next big thing in weight loss in September 27 Woman's World
magazine. I bought the magazine, read it; it sounds AWFUL! I'm pretty sure I couldn't do the 1st phase for 6 days. I might hurt somebody.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #2  
Less Juicey

Here's one of the links I found:

http://blogs.howstuffworks.com/2010/...sity-epidemic/

What do we think, Atkins buddies?
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

It sounds awful and bland. I'll stick with high fat Atkins.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:35 PM   #4  

Sandy, if I had to do this, someone would have to DIE!

YUCK!! If you take my carbs then for God's sake, leave me some fat!
Zaftig Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Combining very low-fat AND very low-carb can be dangerous (in extremes, it can result in what's called "rabbit starvation" or "protein poisoning" ).

The protein and vegetable days may be enough to prevent that, and the "cheat meal" phase would certainly, but it seems so much more extreme than it has to be.

It reminds me of a diet you can't even mention here, because it gets censored out. The closer you get to zero carb AND zero fat the harder the diet is to stick with, and the less reason than you want to.

I'm not saying that you can't be fat-conscious and follow Atkins or other low-carb diets (they don't have to become the 90% pork fat diet), but restricting it to that degree probably isn't necessary or particularly healthy for most folks.

If you only have a few pounds to lose, I suppose it would be harmless (in that you'ld probably get to the "cheat meal" phase before you would experience the risky symptoms).

If you have a lot to lose, though the lack of variety and the lack of fat/carbs would be unpleasant and possibly even dangerous. (Though the symptoms of rabbit starvation are so severe that I think it would drive most people off the diet before they risked their lives. That was the problem with the other diet I mentioned, the creator told people that those horrible side effects, such as severe dizziness, nausea and diarrhea were normal and signs that the diet was "working").

Last edited by kaplods; 09-25-2010 at 09:36 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #6  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyfanny View Post
Anybody else read about the new "French Atkins" diet? It's featured as the next big thing in weight loss in September 27 Woman's World
magazine. I bought the magazine, read it; it sounds AWFUL! I'm pretty sure I couldn't do the 1st phase for 6 days. I might hurt somebody.

islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #7  
Less Juicey

Default Thank you, Kaplods...

I appreciate your post...not that I was considering that diet for more than, say, two minutes! There's no way I could stay on a program like that; it just sounds miserable. Your comments regarding its safety make sense. Maybe if you went to Dr. Dukan's office once a week and were monitored carefully and you somehow were committed to the WOE, you might be ok. But certainly NOT HAPPY.

Many of us Atkins chicks have lots of weight to lose, and we don't need to play with our health without close supervision. My doctor couldn't be happier that I'm losing on Atkins, following essentially Induction for the foreseeable future, and walking every day.

Should I just close this thread since it's possibly unhealthy for many of us who have more to lose than 10 or 15 pounds?
Old 09-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #8  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

S/C/G: 350/ticker/200

Dukan is VERY strict - puts me in mind of Stillman - low fat/low carb. I don't think I could do it.

I think I'll stick with Atkins. I like having the fat in my diet. I think Dukan would make me hungry. Atkins keep me full all day long...that's what I love about it.
Simona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:03 AM   #9  
All power is from within

S/C/G: 192/190/160

Height: 5'6

The French Atkins? Get outta here! It sounds terrible and there are too many rules to remember and follow. It really irritates me that people pull what they want from Atkins and then put their little twist on it. I'm sticking with my bacon and eggs for breakfast! lol
onelife2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:39 AM   #10  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Interesting - I would not say there are too many rules to follow. It sounds simple to me avoid carbs, protein is your friend. However, I am with you all in saying that this is not a way to live, I would be very very mad if I were on this diet. It would def. not be somethig I could stick to. And I imagine it couldn't be too healthy for you.

Nobody should be eating that much meat... it's so wrong
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #11  
Less Juicey

LaurenA, is that your dog? Love the pic! And is it a Border Collie? Super-cute!
Old 09-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

I read that post, and dug around and found that that guy has been following it for 22 weeks now:

http://blogs.howstuffworks.com/2010/...dukan-diet-15/

And he's lost 51lbs on it in 21 weeks - and while that is great for him, that is just shy of 2.5lbs per week, which is attainable for any significantly overweight person following any restrictive diet plan. And that diet sounds NOT like a fun life to me at all.
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #13  
Less Juicey

Thanks for the post. You bring all that hype "You'll be a stick in 15 minutes" into perspective. No way could I follow that plan; I would HATE it and never stick with it. It sounds NASTY!
Old 09-30-2010, 09:12 PM   #14  

Hello all, this "French Atkins" actually got me inspired. I decided to follow the first stage for one week--just to get me started. I find that if I have too many choices I slide off the rails. I have been on it since Monday and it is putting me quickly into ketosis. I will add in the veggies next week and try one total protein day each week. I have been trying to get back on the diet many times and could not stay with it over 2 days. I am now into day 4 and I think this has been a good way to get started.
Elstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #15  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

If you are having trouble staying on it, then it can't be the best diet?

A way of eating, to me, should be something you enjoy that is good for you that you can stick to and still lose weight.

Eating just protein for the 'attack' phase sounds like it would make me vomit.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote