General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 135/120

Height: 5'2

Default Dorm room diet/healthy college eating?

Hi there,

I am about a month into my first year of college, and am finding it incredibly difficult to eat well so far. My dorm only allows us to have microwaves, and there is no community kitchen or anything for me to make healthy meals. I have a meal plan, and try to eat the healthy options at the caf, but salad burnout is imminent haha

I am just wondering if anyone has any tips of a relatively healthy eating plan I could follow, or foods I could eat that don't require cooking beyond a microwave. I am looking to lose about 15 pounds, but not extremely soon-in time for spring break, sure, but I am willing to put in the time to really keeping my weight off. I realize since I don't have too much to lose it is probably going to take a bit longer.

Anyway, any suggestions or encouragement are welcome
LaRuche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:49 PM   #2  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Assuming you have a dorm fridge to go along with that microwave, your options are nearly unlimited.
Fresh & frozen vegetables - put in a corningware type container with a lid and microwave - package of frozen vegetables usually about 3-4 minutes. Start at a minute or so with fresh and work your way up - depends on the volume you're cooking.
There's boil in a bag brown rice - 10 minutes in water in the microwave.
Couscous - just requires the addition of water boiled in the microwave.
Ziplock steam bags can be used to microwave chicken with vegetables.
You can heat up canned beans in that same corningware type container.
You can cook meats as well.
Look online for microwave recipes. You'll find you can cook just about everything in a microwave.

Last edited by WebRover; 09-25-2010 at 04:50 PM.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 147.2/146.8/128

Height: 5'5

i don't know what your eating preferences are, but i just got this cookbook called "peta's vegan college cookbook." i'm not 100 percent vegan or even necessarily into supporting peta, but the cookbook is all things you can make in the microwave, and it's specifically for college kids so the recipes aren't too expensive. i'm not sure if they have other cookbooks like this, but it might be something to check into if your school cafeteria options are limited. i had a hard time getting into the groove of healthy eating for undergrad,mostly because socializing=food most of the time there, but it really helped me to focus when i was eating and sleeping well.
Katherine1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #4  
Always Learning

Height: 5'5"

There's a book by Dr. Oz's daughter, "The Dorm Room Diet" and its bright pink (easy to find in the bookstore), it has some great recipes and some solutions to eating on a meal plan. I found some of the recipes yummy and super helpful (there's a smoothie that requires little more then some dairy, almond butter and a banana!)

I'm with Webrover however, everything CAN be cooked in the microwave. Potatoes, Chicken, Fish, Vegetables, Eggs, Oatmeal, the list goes on of what can be cooked (and what I have cooked) using a microwave. Also, remember its not only what you pick but how you serve it. Proteins can be made very bad for the waistline because they tend to add gravy.

Remember that everything is good in moderations, Pasta and rice can both be added to be great meals.

If you need any specific recipes, whether or not you have a mini fridge, let me know I have a huge list from my time spent with a mic and a mini fridge.
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/220/190

Height: 5 foot six

Peta vegan college cookbook is great!

salad burnout WILL happen. It happened to me last year when I bought the meal plan out of convenience (am off plan this year!). I thought I would kill someone if I had to face yet another day of spring mix!

Here are some ideas, assuming your school has one of those cafeterias with different "stations:" don't stop at the burger and pizza areas. Just ignore them. Try to go for veggie burger or grilled chicken if you must. I would sometimes get one onion ring just to satisfy the craving! Stake out the steamed or grilled veggies if you can find them.. and keep your meals as protein and veg.
damngina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #6  

Height: 5'3"

I know they are not as good as fresh but can you keep canned vegetables (and a can opener) in your room? You can even get the no-sodium or low-sodium canned veggies if you are worried about sodium levels and they can easily be heated in a microwave.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote