Old 09-29-2010, 11:16 AM   #1  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Wink Crockpot cooking!

When I first started losing weight I was scared to use my crockpot... I couldn't count every single calorie that went into my mouth! How could I calculate an entire recipe!

Well I found a recipe calorie calculator on the net, averaged the amount of cups in each meal, VIOLA! Amount of calories per cup of food!

In the last two weeks I've made sweet and sour chicken (breasts), spaghetti with meat/veggie sauce (heavy on the veggie), chicken breasts with mushroom sauce and last night was beef/veggie stew (two tiny steaks and TONS of veggies).

With winter coming and me being short on time this is the perfect solution to making sure we ALWAYS have a healthy dinner on the table.

Do YOU have a favorite crockpot recipe?

Last edited by cfmama; 09-29-2010 at 11:17 AM.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #2  
Vegging out

S/C/G: 268/ticker/148

Height: 5'6"

I make a bean soup in the crockpot that I am just in love with!
dudesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:48 AM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Oh, the crockpot!! LOL! I had the same fear. In fact, I need to dust off the old favorite. I'm strong enough to face her again!

I have planned a pot roast for this week, actually, probably tomorrow night.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:11 PM   #4  
Writer. Often pantsless.

Height: 5'7

cfmama - can you post or message me the recipes??? I am crockpot illiterate and was scared of the same thing! I got one for my wedding almost two years ago and I always think, "It would be so great to make something in that thing!"
pokeycactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #5  
weight, be gone!

S/C/G: 227/191/125

Height: 5' 4"

Chili!!

Extra lean ground turkey, onions, green and red peppers, tomatoes, tomatoes, (LOL), vegetable juice.... spices. (then add beans if you like that kind of thing). YUM!

pokeycactus, I think posting crock pot recipes is a GREAT idea!!!

Last edited by lolcat; 09-29-2010 at 12:15 PM.
lolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #6  
~*Regina*~

S/C/G: 304/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

I would love to know healthy crock pot recipes! I have 2 pots and use them for parties and that's it. it would be nice to cook one meal for the whole week
BlueEyes83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:37 PM   #7  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

I made Hungry Girl's seafood chowder on Monday night in my crock pot! ...but only because I don't have a kitchen at the moment.

I make this recipe, and its AMAZING:

http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot...eese-yum-89204

I've lightened it up by using fat free cream cheese.. but other than that, its amazing. We usually have it with brown rice and salad.

I also like making this: http://www.hungry-girl.com/week/week....php?isid=1658 The turkey chili.. Although, I double the chilis because I love LOVE LOVE hot spicy food... so....

There's some.

I have tons more. I heart my crock pot. It's the best wedding present I got! (Besides the cash!! HAAH!)
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

A friend of mine showed me this. It's the easiest, and tastiest! I use non-fat cheese (serving size) and low cal corn tortillas. Overall, the taco ends up having about 100-125 cals so I can eat about 2 guilt free. Give it a try, it's delicious!

CHICKEN TACOS

3 to 4 frozen chicken breasts
2 to 3 cans of Mexican Tomatoes (Located with the stewed tomatoes at the grocery store)
Flour or Corn Tortillas
Shredded cheese

Just put it all in your crock pot, add about ½ can of water and cook on low temperature for about 8 hours.
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #9  
Out is Through

I get very paranoid leaving appliances on when I'm not home..has anyone had any problems with this in the past?
Creeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeech View Post
I get very paranoid leaving appliances on when I'm not home..has anyone had any problems with this in the past?
I get paranoid too, but every appliance I buy has an auto-shut off. (I'm very forgetful and clumsy) The crock pot I use has a timer. I feel safe with it on, it goes to warm setting after the cook time runs out, and I make sure I don't leave anything near it. It sits all by itself on the counter. Don't worry, i got the wiring and reviews checked out on our socket and crockpot. So far, I am in good shape! I am more afraid of leaving an iron on!
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #11  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeycactus View Post
cfmama - can you post or message me the recipes??? I am crockpot illiterate and was scared of the same thing! I got one for my wedding almost two years ago and I always think, "It would be so great to make something in that thing!"

Me too!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #12  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeech View Post
Nope, love the thing!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I have used my crockpot for over thirty years. I am sure over a hundred times. Very often, on days when I wouldn't be home all day. I've never had a problem because it's an electric appliance left on. It's important to check the crock for any cracks.

People need to stay in their comfort zone with this.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #14  
Es ist ein neuer Tag!

S/C/G: Highest 280+

Height: 5' 7"

One of my favorite things in the crock pot is a boneless, skinless chicken breast, a can of green beans and a can of fire roasted stewed tomatoes. Makes a great meal for one (since I live alone). Most of the time though I will cook two chicken breasts so I can have the leftovers for lunch the next day (like today). I'm not a fan of chicken breasts because I think they are too dry, this way they are nice and moist. If I were not a carb watcher, it would be great over rice. I have one of those really little crock pots for cooking for myself and a larger one for bigger meals.
MamaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I have a recipe for Saurkraut and Pork - so easy. DH has a German background and it's good luck to eat Saurkraut and Pork on New Years Day. I've made this recipe at least thirty times. My family loves it.

My MIL told me:

-one or two glass jars of saukraut ( or bagged) leave about half of the liquid in jar. She said canned saurkraut has a 'tinny' flavor so don't use that.

-pork steak, pork chops, or pork ribs, or pork anything

-couple slices of apple (to cut the tart taste)

-Pepper

Put in all in the crockpot. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours. Break up pork a bit before serving. It will just fall apart. Serve on smashed potatoes.

Some folks like to add some of the following: more apple, onions, caraway seeds, garlic...

It's so easy and yummy if you like saurkraut.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 09-29-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote