Old 09-27-2010, 08:22 PM   #1  

Default Cool Whip???

Okay, went shopping the other day and saw sugar free Cool Whip, 3 carbs per 2 tbls. Sort of surprised that sugar free would have any, but oh well. The lite only had 1 but had sugar in it.

What gives, what is the best choice.

Yes, my days have been reduced to wondering about this!
Zaftig Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #2  
Viva Cristo Rey!

IMHO, I think we ought to get away from "non-dairy" toppings, coffee creamers and any other foods that contain "creme" that isn't made of ingredients found in nature -- because of the trans fat. I believe that's a worse problem than sugar vs. non-sugar in those types of products.

I base this on an experience I had after I learned about trans fats, and then I had a dish on which some non-dairy topping stuff had congealed. It was so sticky and greasy and gunky and I just thought to myself "Do I want that junk in my coronary arteries?" and the answer was "NO!" I have not had the stuff since.

Don't mean to be on a rant here, but I honestly believe we're better off having a bit of real cream or butter than the mutant substances the modern "food" industry pawns off on us. There are books on this topic that explain it much better than I can, too. I think one of them is titled Real Food. And then there are the French Women Don't Get Fat series.
Skinnyminnie Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #3  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I'd skip the Cool Whip altogether and just make your own with heavy cream and splenda/stevia. Cool Whip has all sorts of crap in it.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I have a recipe for apple salad that my husband requests every once in a while that uses Cool Whip, so I do buy it occasionally. Whipped cream probably is healthier, but it separates too easily, so I just use the Cool Whip. Since I make it three times a year or less, I'm not too worried about the junkiness of Cool Whip.

I use the Cool Whip Free most of the time, because it's the lowest in calorie (15 calories per 9g serving) and 3g carbs.

But according to my information (from the kraft website) the sugar free has 20 calories per 9g serving and 3g of carbs. If they've changed the sugar free to now only have 1g of carbs, I'd probably have choose that one.

Last edited by kaplods; 09-27-2010 at 09:00 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

I like Cool Whip. Eat it once per week. It has a place n my successful weight management. Go w/ lower cal too. I get lite.

Last edited by Karen925; 09-27-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:17 AM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaftig Mama View Post
Okay, went shopping the other day and saw sugar free Cool Whip, 3 carbs per 2 tbls. Sort of surprised that sugar free would have any, but oh well.
If your doing Atkins, "sugar-free" cool whip contains corn syrup, which needs to be avoided.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #7  

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
If your doing Atkins, "sugar-free" cool whip contains corn syrup, which needs to be avoided.
Yep and cool whip has nasty transfat oils etc. Its basically garbage food!

Buy real cream and whip it yourself! that way you can add some stevia if you want sweet.

Also - in a pinch - the cans of whipped real cream with just sugar and air only have 1 carb per 2 tbs.
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #8  
cher37

Default I can't resist .....

"Cool W-i-h-ip !!!"

... to quote Stuey from Family Guy
Old 09-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cher37 View Post
"Cool W-i-h-ip !!!"

... to quote Stuey from Family Guy

LOL!!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post

I have never been a fan of the stuff, always prefer real over fake, but I was just curious. If it is sugar free then how can it contain corn syrup? Oh well, the craziness of food labels I guess.

Thanks for the replies all, I will continue to steer clear of the stuff.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:22 PM   #11  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Default It's a matter of semantics...

Cool Whip can be labeled "sugar-free" because it has NO SUGAR in it. It has corn syrup instead. It's not labeled according to how our body metabolizes ingredients. There's a tricky world out there, Atkins buddies!
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #12  

Well that's just not fair now is it???
Old 09-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyfanny View Post
Cool Whip can be labeled "sugar-free" because it has NO SUGAR in it. It has corn syrup instead. It's not labeled according to how our body metabolizes ingredients. There's a tricky world out there, Atkins buddies!
That can't be true, because none of the other Cool Whip varieties have (table) sugar added either. It's not "table sugar" that is counted, it's any sugar (including sucrose, glucose, fructose....) It's why light ice creams cannot be labeleld sugar-free because milk contains lactose (a sugar that is naturally occuring in the milk), so they must label the ice cream "no sugar added," rather than sugar-free.

The fructose in corn syrup in the sugar free Cool Whip would count as sugar if the serving were larger, because it's the number of grams of sugar (any sugar) in the serving that determines whether an item is sugar-free. All of the other Cool Whip varieties have at least a couple grams of sugar per serving, but the Cool Whip Sugar-free label states that there are 0 g of sugar per serving (but 3g of some other carb).

The corn syrup would contain sugars, but there must be less than 1g of those sugars in each serving (enough to be considered 0g).

It's only because it contains less than 1g of sugars per serving that they can call it sugar-free.

Last edited by kaplods; 09-28-2010 at 09:21 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:52 AM   #14  

I think I'll just continue to avoid it, much easier. I never really liked the stuff, too artificial for me. I think when I have the hankering, I'll just whip up the real cream with the stevia as was suggested. I don't really have a big sweet tooth so it really isn't much of an issue. I miss my carbs, but not sugar so much.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #15  
cher37

Default ... comedic relief ...

"Cool W-i-h-ip !!!"