General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:03 PM   #1  

Default food scales

I'm trying to make a life change and eat healthy. I'm about 50 lbs over weight. I want to get a food scale but i'm not really sure what to do. How am i supposed to know how much everything should weight and how many calories are in it?

I also would like to know anyones tips for when eating out at a restaurant. And any other tips would be greatly appreciated! Im trying to learn the difference between what i think is healthy and what actually is LOL
animallover19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

calorie counting sites help, www.calorieking.com is one free one and you don't have to register. on foods with labels, the label will tell you. going out to eat, once you are familiar with portions at home you'll be able to eyeball portions in restaurants. usually the best tip is to eat half of whatever you order and take the rest home.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:47 PM   #3  
closed

S/C/G: 227.5/217.4/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover19 View Post
I'm trying to make a life change and eat healthy. I'm about 50 lbs over weight. I want to get a food scale but i'm not really sure what to do. How am i supposed to know how much everything should weight and how many calories are in it?

I also would like to know anyones tips for when eating out at a restaurant. And any other tips would be greatly appreciated! Im trying to learn the difference between what i think is healthy and what actually is LOL
I can't remember where I read this, as I have read SO much in the last two day, but: I saw someone suggest buying a postal scale for true accuracy. I too am looking to get a scale, however: my husband has a postal he used to use to mail small packages. He does not use it anymore, hmmm wonder where that ever got to.

~flamanette~
Flamanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 330/297/165

Height: 5'7

I have been wanting to get a food scale too. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good one?
jilly6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Any digital one in the $20 range will be perfectly adequate. I like one that does grams as well as ounces because that's what I generally think in terms of.

There are many calorie counting sites out there. I know Fitday will let you do EVERYTHING by weight--it seemed to me that The Daily Plate, while better in many ways, did not have a "weight" option for some things.

The most important thing to know about your food scale is the function of "zero" (or z/t or "tare") button. This returns the counter to zero, ignoring everything already on it. So you can put a bowl on it, push the button, and it says zero. Then you put your oatmeal in the bowl, record the weight, and push zero. Then you put your fruit in, record that weight, push zero, and then you can put your walnuts in and record that weight. So you don't have to mess around with any dirty measuring spoon and you don't have to do any weird math.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote