Old 09-24-2010, 11:36 AM   #1  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Omega's, Cod Liver Oil, flax seed . .. ahhhhh

I figured I'd take a look around at the Shoppers here and see what they had to offer since I"ve been reading a lot lately about the benefits of Omega 3 and such.

Oh . . . My . . . . Lord . . . .

So many options.
Omega 3, Omega 3 6 9, Fish Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Cod liver oil pills, Flax seed oil, Flax seed oil pills . .

Is there one that is better than the other?

Any insight from those who are taking additional supplements or have taken them would be greatly appreciated.

So many bottles with little letters on the front . . . Oy
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #2  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

I know I've read that fish sources are better than plant sources but the details escape me. And to focus on the omega 3's since most people already get too much 6 and it's the balance between them that's important - you want more 3's to balance out the too-much-6 people typically get.

The fish oil needs to be refridgerated. It goes bad (won't hurt you but doesn't really help any more either). I've been told if it tingles on the tongue it has lost its potency. I never test mine. Take it with food or you'll get "fish burbs" - just as yummy as they sound!
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Coondocks - you should have gone to London Drugs I agree with Vlada, I normally do fish oil. You gotta ask to figure out which ones won't give you the fish burps, not all of them do that!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #4  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

Fish burps . . . sounds ohh so lovely

Im thinking of heading down to St Vital tomorrow, so perhaps I'll check things out there. I saw Wild Salmon Oil, Omega 3 caplets, Fish oil caplets, Code Liver Oil . . . . its crazyness I tell you !
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

I get those 'fish burps' from my Omega 3's. Yuck!
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:39 PM   #6  
I'm melting.....

S/C/G: 212/194.3/140

Height: 5'2"

I've never heard that fish oil will go bad, but know that refrigerating them is supposed to prevent the fish burps. Some brands also carry a "no fish burps" variety, but it is more expensive (but does seem to work - I've taken them before). I also take cinnamon supplements because it's supposed to be good for regulating blood sugar, but I've found that I'd rather burp cinnamon than fish - and it masks the fishy taste. Plus the cinnamon supplements are relatively cheap.
kuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:49 PM   #7  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I buy bags of flax seed and grind a little each week to put in my morning smoothies. Start slowly. Too much too soon and you will have less than desirable results in the bathroom! I started with 1 tsp and worked my way up to 1 tbs a day. Some people use a lot more, but I feel fine with that. I also take a Omega 3-6-9 supplement. Also, don't forget to eat your nuts, avocados and salmon. These are wonderful sources of healthy fats.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

Good to know about the refrigerating the supplements. I've heard good things about cinnamon as well.

I read somewhere that flaxseed is not supposed to exceed 1 tbs. in a day. Have you heard that?
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:56 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 283/278/185

Height: 5'10"

I use flax in my smoothies too, a little sprinkle will do ya and as for a fish/omega supplement, I use Vitalux which can be found at Shoppers where I bought it (not sure about LD!), and no fish burps and I have tonnes of energy on them
eriluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #10  

Height: 5'6"

If you decide to go with fish oil, freezing them will eliminate all fish burps. Putting them in the fridge will eliminate most. I'd avoid flax oil in capsule forms, it's not a very stable oil and should be kept cold, and who knows what the store has done with them.

I use flax oil and ground seeds, because I don't consume fish. Flax seeds add great nutty flavor to oatmeal, which is my favorite delivery system once the weather gets colder.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #11  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowboundChick View Post
Good to know about the refrigerating the supplements. I've heard good things about cinnamon as well.

I read somewhere that flaxseed is not supposed to exceed 1 tbs. in a day. Have you heard that?
Opinions on this vary greatly. But, the average standard is anywhere from 2-4 tablespoons a day. But, remember to start slowly and remember to grind only the amount you will need for a few days and refrigerate it. Once the seeds are ground, they have a short shelf life before they go bad.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote