Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Default I L-O-V-E Oatmeal!

I've recently discovered the absolute amazing-ness that is oatmeal.

Now, I'm lazy and a college student, so I've just been buying the enormous economy canisters of quick oats. I believe it when people say that steel cut oats are tastier/better, but I don't want to spend the time to really cook 'em.

Never-the-less: I LOVE OATMEAL! It's so tasty and filling. I've been using about a cup of oats (is that quite a lot?) with water. I mix in a good portion of Splenda (about two packets) and add fresh fruit (blueberries this morning) and it's just YUMMY. Usually not too high in calories, either (about 300-400 according to Dailyplate.) And since I don't often have the opportunity to eat lunch, oatmeal is perfect because it keeps me feeling not-starving until I get off work at 4pm.

I am really looking forward to oatmeal and pumpkin puree. I think that sounds like the perfect fall/winter breakfast. Unfortunately, every time I go to buy some canned pumpkin, the store is out! Is there a shortage for some reason?

Anyway, I just thought I'd gush about the amazingly fantastic substance that is oatmeal.

Does anyone have any (easy/quick) recipes with oatmeal? Maybe some kind of breakfast bread? I love oatmeal but I think eventually I'll run through all possible combinations and get bored.

Phew! Yeah! I love talking about food...
Shifterred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #2  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

I share your love. Oatmeal has been my number one go to food throughout my weight loss and remains to be so in maintenance. I'm also a poor college kid living by myself (that's about to change, fiance is coming back from Iraq). I get the same huge canisters of the Quick 1-Minute oats.

I generally use 3/4 cups (225 cal), but I have definitely done 1 cup before also. I use a LOT of water and nuke it for a long time (5-6min) and generally my bowl of oatmeal nearly fills a small mixing bowl. Here are a few of my oatmeal additions:

- The old standby: Splenda packets (2 or 3) and a ton of cinnamon

- Maple syrup: Maybe one Splenda, cinnamon, and a squirt of sugar free maple syrup (20 cal for 1/4 cup, I don't use that much though)

- Sugar free chocolate syrup (20 cal for 2tbsp): Definitely does a number for a chocolate craving.

- Peanut butter: If I have some calories to play with, I'll add a tbsp or two of PB. A shot of the SF choco syrup is good with this too. Or honey

- Smushing in a banana, maybe add some nuts and cinnamon

- Any fresh fruit, like you do

- My new current favorite is 1/2 cup of strawberry or blueberry Light n' Fit yogurt (55 cal) with some Splenda packets and a shake of cinnamon. Oh my god this is amazing. It makes it creamy and thick and rich. It's like a giant bowl of warm fruity dessert.

- I've also baked it into bread. I used my own modification of this recipe. I added different mix-ins, used 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce instead of canola oil, Splenda brown sugar, and egg whites --> http://nutrition.preschoolrock.com/i...d-oatmeal-cake It was very yummy, but I think I prefer a bowl of oatmeal, haha.

Your pumpkin idea sounds absolutely fabulous also, I'll definitely have to try it!

LOVE oatmeal, haha.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkendrick View Post
LOVE oatmeal, haha.
Awesome! So happy I'm not the only one that just adores oatmeal. It's so versatile and tasty.

This is going to sound creepy. However, I've been watching you on the forums for a while and I just gotta say you are a total inspiration for me. You always have such interesting and helpful statements. I'm so happy for you and all that you've accomplished. You make me feel like, hey, I can do this!

So thank you so much for being a cool person, Mkendrick!
Old 09-23-2010, 05:44 PM   #4  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Aww, thanks so much, that made my day I definitely am inspired by EVERYone here, and I owe a lot of my success to the advice, support, and inspiration from people on 3FC. So it makes me happy that I can help others with my experience.

And also thank you for the pumpkin idea! I went to Wallyworld, and lo and behold there were some cans of pure pumpkin. I mixed 1/2 cup pumpkin (40 cal) with the 3/4 cup oats (225 cal) and added cinnamon, a bit of nutmeg and cloves, and 2 splenda packets. It was absolutely delicious, but I think I need to add more spice or less pumpkin. Very yummy, just need to tweak my combo.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkendrick View Post
I mixed 1/2 cup pumpkin (40 cal) with the 3/4 cup oats (225 cal) and added cinnamon, a bit of nutmeg and cloves, and 2 splenda packets. It was absolutely delicious, but I think I need to add more spice or less pumpkin. Very yummy, just need to tweak my combo.
Would this help?

http://closetcooking.blogspot.com/20...e-oatmeal.html
Old 09-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 245/202/170

Height: 5'6"

Another oatmeal lover here! We do the regular (10 minute) oats most days. My kids like to add maple syrup and brown sugar. I usually do honey and kefir or sometimes some fruit. There are some good recipes for slow cooker steel cut oats that are super yummy too, so you can have everything ready for you as soon as you wake up.
KimProbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #7  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Had to chime in as I too am an oatmeal lover, who buys 2 big @ss canisters each time I go to the store, but I prefer the old fashioned Quaker oats, they are much larger flakes & chewier- girls, lemme tell ya, it's the bomb! Nuke time is maybe 30 seconds longer than the quick oats & better!

Mkendrick, I too like yogurt added into the cooked oats, sprinkled with ground flax & cut up fruit. Delish.

However my fellow oatmeal lovers, my handsdown favorite way to eat oats is dry though. 1/2 cup dry oats dump into a bowl, then add any flavor yogurt and any type of fruit, stir and enjoy. Heaven in a bowl, if you put this concoction in the fridge for awhile it gets thicker and yummier even, most of the time I can't wait I just dig right in, because it is that good. Try it, I have converted many... Thick and sticks with you for hrs. Wendalyn

Last edited by evilwomaniamshe; 09-23-2010 at 08:46 PM.
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote