Old 09-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #1  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Default Favorite recipes for high-fat, very-low-carb, real-ingredients dairy treats

I made a high-fat dairy treat yesterday that I quite liked.

Softened cream cheese mixed with whipped HWC and a few drops of vanilla extract.

I used one 8-ounce package of cream cheese and whipped ca. 6 ounces of HWC. Carefully blended those together with an electric mixer.

Serving portion, 2 Tablespoons with a few drops of vanilla extract.

For those who like things sweeter, a few granules of stevia powder would work well.

If nuts or berries are in your food plan, those are nice additions.

This thread is for high fat, real food dairy treats, with no Frankenfood ingredients. Please post only recipes using real foods, no chemicals.

Last edited by SilverLife; 09-21-2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: clarification
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 241/194/160

Stupid question ... what is HWC?

I buy a whole fat, made with cream yogurt called "Greek Gods Yogurt". Its one of the lower carb yogurts I can buy here . I add a dash of splenda and 1/4 cup of berries and I love it. Never thought of adding in allowed nuts but I can imagine how wonderful it will be with toasted pecans.
Shells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #3  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Hi, Shells. It's not a stupid question. HWC is heavy whipping cream.

Store-bought yoghurt is good to use as a starter and make yoghurt out of half and half, or half and half w/ HWC, and have amazing yoghurt that costs a fraction of store-bought. I bought a yoghurt maker at a thrift store for $5 and have made it once a week for years.

I've read that Greek yoghurt has the whey removed to lower the carbs. "Full fat" used to mean the same as whole milk. I don't know if that is a legally protected phrase.

Just for reference:

Whole milk is not high fat and is actually a high carb food. One cup of milk has 13 grams of carbohydrates and 8 grams of fat.

Heavy whipping cream has, per one fluid cup, not whipped, 7 grams of carbohydrates and 88 grams of fat.

Half and half, per one fluid cup, 10 grams of carbohydrates and 28 grams of fat.

Nutritional info at NutritionData.

I use my yoghurt made from half and half w/ HWC for sour cream, for a base for adding things, for salad dressing, etc. I know exactly what is in it. Has fewer carbs, too.

Splenda is chlorinated sugar, a chlorocarbon, which is an excitotoxin. It is not real food. If you're interested, google Dr. Russell Blaylock for info on excitotoxins.

Hope this helps a bit. High-fat, very low carb, real food only includes certain foods.

Last edited by SilverLife; 09-21-2010 at 03:39 PM. Reason: added something
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #4  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Hey Silverlife, this is similar to the treat you mentioned, but it's more like cheesecake. It's adapted from the Hungry Girl web site; she uses LOTS of frankenfoods, but I don't.

Lemon Cheesecake Dessert (Makes 2 generous servings)

2 T. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. ricotta cheese
2 - 3 T. heavy cream
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. fresh grated lemon rind
1 tsp. vanilla extract (or scape a vanilla bean)
Sweeten to taste with Stevia, Truvia, Splenda...or not at all

Mix the ricotta cheese and cream cheese well in a small deep bowl with the heavy cream. Stir in the vanilla, then the lemon juice and the lemon rind. Sweeten to taste. You can also adjust the amount of lemon juice to taste, depending on how "lemony" you like it.

Divide into two small ramekins and cover, refrigerate for at least a half an hour. Serve as it is or top with heavy whipped cream and berries if desired. Amazing!

Caution: This is NOT an induction recipe - the ricotta cheese is on an OWL list. The ricotta cheese and the cream cheese may stall you if you're on Induction. And it's really good.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 241/194/160

Wow .... given that I use very few processed foods I will allow myself the tiny bit of splenda that I use in a month . The yogurt I use is high fat, low carb ..... it was just a suggestion to answer you question.
Shells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #6  

Homemade ice cream.

1 cup HWC
vanilla
natural sweetener if you want

I whip all ingredients and then put in freezer in a bowl. Its light because of the whipping. (remember only 2-3 tablespoons of whipping cream on induction so make sure you count how much you have)

or you can make more traditional ice cream

1 cup HWC heated to just below scalding
add vanilla and sweetner if you want
2 eggs beaten and mixed (add a few tablespoons of the hot mixture to the eggs and stir, then slowly stir the egg mixture into the hot liquid. If you go too fast the eggs will cook and leave chunks. If this happens you can just strain it before it goes in icecream maker.

Leave on heat stirring for a few minutes (do not simmer, scald or boil).

I then cool in fridge and add to icecream maker when cold.

You can add vanilla bean, espresso shots, sugar free syrup, etc for flavor. If you want to do mint or something then I cook the mint in water (normally I make simple syrup with sugar but just water on atkins) and make an almost tea - very strong. Then add 2-3 shots of that for flavor.

Good luck!

Last edited by readyfreddy; 09-23-2010 at 12:19 PM.
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #7  

You could also do an almond ice cream w some almond milk and almond chunks or something.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:10 AM   #8  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

Height: 5'2"

My mouth is watering for some homemade ice cream
How does this taste, I mean compared to actual homemade ice cream?
This is my weekend treat for sure!!! Thanks readyfreddy
-Judy
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #9  

Its not as sweet and its thicker because of the higher egg ratio (more like custard) but very good!
Old 09-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 277/ticker/155

Height: 5'10"

Silverlife, your recipe sounds delish! I want to make it but I'm not sure what whipped ca. means? Thanks for the insight!

Last edited by AydaKenzington; 09-26-2010 at 03:51 PM.
AydaKenzington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:43 PM   #11  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Have any of you heard of "creme fraiche"? its a creamy thing, but has active cultures like yoghurt. YOu can always find it in quebec, and recently here in Ontario. Og carbs, 40%fat. Can be used like yoghurt or sour cream. Good on fruit etc. see if you can get it where you live! its great. I am going to see if I can culture it and make my own sometime.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:04 AM   #12  
cher37

Default Coffee Ice Cream - Yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyfreddy View Post
Homemade ice cream.

1 cup HWC
vanilla
natural sweetener if you want

I whip all ingredients and then put in freezer in a bowl. Its light because of the whipping. (remember only 2-3 tablespoons of whipping cream on induction so make sure you count how much you have)
I made this recipe tonight & added 1 tsp ground coffee, and sweetened with 2 packets of french vanilla splenda!

I must say, this is a rich dessert (thanks to the whipping cream) - so a 1/4 cup was good enough for me & satisfied the desire for something cold and ice creamy!

My hubby was pleasantly surprised that I made it
Old 09-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cher37 View Post
I made this recipe tonight & added 1 tsp ground coffee, and sweetened with 2 packets of french vanilla splenda!

I must say, this is a rich dessert (thanks to the whipping cream) - so a 1/4 cup was good enough for me & satisfied the desire for something cold and ice creamy!

My hubby was pleasantly surprised that I made it
Cool!

I was also thinking this weekend you could probably use unsweetened coconut milk to make coconut icecream....
Old 09-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
Have any of you heard of "creme fraiche"? its a creamy thing, but has active cultures like yoghurt. YOu can always find it in quebec, and recently here in Ontario. Og carbs, 40%fat. Can be used like yoghurt or sour cream. Good on fruit etc. see if you can get it where you live! its great. I am going to see if I can culture it and make my own sometime.
Yeah I like using it in savory dishes

I have an appetizer I do that is a huge hit where I put a slice of smoked salmon (not the thin lox kind but the real meaty chunks of smoked salmon) on a crinkle cut salt and pepper potato chip and top it with creme fraiche and chives. You could easily adapt it to atkins if you used a cucumber slice instead of a chip.

I find creme fraiche to be like sour cream but a little runnier?

Last edited by readyfreddy; 09-27-2010 at 12:55 PM.