Old 09-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #1  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Going to bed hungry

Anybody else have this problem? No matter what I eat I'm always so hungry right before bed time. Last night i made steak and veggies for dinner and then had an orange for dessert. It should've been a filling meal, but I was so hungry before bed!
This morning, I felt really full, though, so it definitely was enough.

I'm wondering if this is just because my body thinks it needs dessert still? Is there anything I can do to prevent this because I really feel like I'm at danger of overeating during this time, especially if there is anything remotely good in the house!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #2  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Did you usually eat right before bed time? If eating has been paired with that time of night it is hard to break that habit.

I'd recommend starting a new habit right before bed time that would be rewarding to you. Maybe you can go out for an evening walk or watch a DVD that you want to see?
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #3  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Are you eating enough for dinner? Assuming you are - here are some things that work for me:
- Sip hot tea before bed
- Snack on 100 calorie bag of Orville Redenbacher's popcorn
- An apple and some Low fat cottage cheese is a good before bed snack. I read that protein is good b/f sleep (the cottage cheese) and apples are fiberous, which fills up your tummy
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #4  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I'm not usually hungry at bedtime but on the rare occasions when I am, I tend to just go to bed hungry - and smug! - confident that I'll see a loss in the morning. (Confidence sometimes misplaced, though!!)
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #5  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_H View Post
Did you usually eat right before bed time? If eating has been paired with that time of night it is hard to break that habit.

I'd recommend starting a new habit right before bed time that would be rewarding to you. Maybe you can go out for an evening walk or watch a DVD that you want to see?
My eating times are sort of all over the place. I know I should be more consistent but I have a young daughter who goes to bed around 6pm so depending on how nice she is that day I can sometimes squeeze making dinner before that. Other days, though, she's not in a good mood and I don't even start until after she's in bed. Then other days I'm so exhausted I end up taking a nap with her for a couple of hours and eat after that.

We tend to watch TV at night before bed or I read so that's pretty rewarding already. Walks, unfortunately, aren't possible because of DD, although that would be really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCraver View Post
Are you eating enough for dinner? Assuming you are - here are some things that work for me:
- Sip hot tea before bed
- Snack on 100 calorie bag of Orville Redenbacher's popcorn
- An apple and some Low fat cottage cheese is a good before bed snack. I read that protein is good b/f sleep (the cottage cheese) and apples are fiberous, which fills up your tummy
Yeah, I think so. It definitely seems like enough when I look at the portion sizes. I do the hot tea thing. It helps but I'm still hungry. Maybe I'll try the popcorn or apple, those sound like a good idea. I try and eat protein at night too to feel fuller but it never seems to work!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #6  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
I'm not usually hungry at bedtime but on the rare occasions when I am, I tend to just go to bed hungry - and smug! - confident that I'll see a loss in the morning. (Confidence sometimes misplaced, though!!)
Ha, I wish! Last night I was so hungry still (went to bed hungry) and I had a gain. But I think it was the steak because I really felt full this morning and I know it takes awhile to digest.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #7  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

I almost always go to bed hungry. I thought it was just me. It seems no matter what I eat, I am hungry a few hours later. So I either eat another snack, or go to bed hungry.
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

I have had two responses to this in my life, and either one works fine. I pick the one I want to apply on any given day (although I am not *usually* hungry at bedtime... when I am, this is what I do):

1. I decide that I will practice teaching myself that hunger is not an emergency. I go to bed with happy thoughts about how I am losing weight.

2. I eat six almonds and drink some water. This gets rid of the hunger until I can fall asleep.

HTH
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:22 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 332/see ticker/132

Height: 5' 3.5"

If you are eating a piece of fruit towards the end of your evening, that will send your blood sugar up, and may result in you being hungry sooner. Sometimes what works for me is to save 100 calories for the end of the evening, and then I will have 1 tablespoon of almond or cashew butter. That blast of protein makes me full, fast, and keeps me full until I hit the sack. The downside is that if I eat it within an hour of going to bed, I am STARVED in the morning.
Pacifica Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 266.2/See ticker/133.0

Height: 5'5

I always save enough calories for a snack an hour or so before bed. I just haven't figured any other way of avoiding a binge, and it's working for me.

I usually eat popcorn, apple slices with yogurt, an english muffin with a bit of peanut butter, sugar free fat free pudding... something like that. I know you aren't supposed to eat that late at night, but it's working for me.
DaughterOfVenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 167.5/164/140

Try chewing gum or brushing your teeth. That, oddly enough, makes me feel full.
catie b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #12  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

I almost always go to bed with a little hunger. I decided not to try to avoid it. I dont eat past 9pm, my tummy stays flat since Im not trying to digest and sleep at the same time....and I just tell myself to enjoy the feeling of hunger, Im just sleeping anyway I dont need to be full!

Plus - having overcome a food addiction, where for 20+ years Im not sure I ever truly felt my tummy signal me I needed to eat....being truly hungry feels kinda nice, more natural.
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:50 PM   #13  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

To me, it makes sense to go to bed hungry. I mean, I don't need calories/energy to sleep, do I? I always start my day with a calorie-heavy breakfast and then try to taper it off through the day so that dinner is my lightest meal. I don't know if there's any scientific theory behind this, but it seems logical to me.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

for me, it depends on if I'm hungry/tummy feels empty vs. hungry/just not full.

If my stomach is growling or feels really empty, I eat something. Normally, I eat a bread round with cheese on top, but there is really no reason for why I choose it. Or I might have an ounce of beef jerky.

But, if I'm just not full, I drink some water, brush my teeth and go to bed. I won't die because I'm a little hungry.

That being said, I also like to schdule my day so that I have a meal no more than about three hours before I go to bed. Sometimes, I have two dinners: one at 6pm and one at 10pm. I cannot go from 6pm to 11pm (when I'm going to bed recently) without food!
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:03 AM   #15  
Girl from Rio

S/C/G: 242/See ticker/118

Height: 5 2"

That happens to me too... usually what helps is having a sugarfree caramel and/or brushing my teeth
I know, crazy! but it works for me, I also have a sugarfree caramel everytime I feel a binge coming up, it definately helps me!

Last edited by carol2208; 09-23-2010 at 04:04 AM.
carol2208 is offline   Reply With Quote