Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 04:01 PM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default ~~September Golden Girls~~

We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us

And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark? What's the best thing that happened since you passed the 60 mark?
Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!
Old 08-31-2010, 11:59 PM   #2  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

In case you didn't see it in August:
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=-YFRUSTiFUs#t=65

Enjoy!

Last edited by jess1; 09-01-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:09 AM   #3  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello all,

Have been having internet connection problems ~ so haven't had a chance to catch up with the last of the August thread.

Sent 2+ hours on the phone with a guy yesterday who tried to help me, then a field tech came to the house for another couple hours. Thought we had it fixed, but shortly after he left it started acting up again. I think my husband is gonna try to get them to come back today.

So, I'll just say hope you all are doing well. I'll quick get this sent before the thing blinks out again (if it hasn't already

Take care
Old 09-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #4  
Bobbi

Good Morning!
I was wakened by two Orioles fighting over grape jelly this morning, 6:30am. It's time they take off for warmer climate so I've been keeping the jelly and Oriole juice filled for their trip. I was sitting outside for my morning vitamin D/reading session and a bright male yellow finch landed on the bench I was sitting on. (I had my nose in a mystery book, "The 8th Confession" by James Patterson) I was thrilled to see the finch that close up. Since DH has been retired (5 years now), he has been doing much of the yard work that I used to do. My summers fly by becasue I'm stuck in the house. This year I started a new tradition, I sit outside in the sun for 1 hour every morning. Yes, I put lotion on so my skin doesn't wrinkle anymore than it already has/cancer prevention. I bring out a thermos of coffee/book and really enjoy myself. I'm really going to miss this little ritual.
I've goofed off all summer with my calorie/food intake too. I'm glad Jane started a new September challenge, it's just what I need to get back OP. I have to go back and change my weight bar after I post this.
Glynne...don't ya hate that when our life source CP is on the blink, dealing with CP techs suck. We don't have a land line phone anymore and when we have to pay for the minutes, it is double frustrating.
I'm curious, how many of you have land lines and cell phones?
Donna...that gal on the clip was funny. She's 6'2", wish I could borrow some of her height!
What does everyone have planned for September? Zoe, vacation done? Lynn...classes starting? Freda...feet hurting, hospital floors are hard on them? No, I don't can anything. Freeze it! Karen Mo, Cp still on the fritz? Karen Florida...still got those ice bags on your rump? My tomatoes are all frozen, no canning for me. That's too much work. Rosey...what did Dr. Turd say about your total weight loss, is he still negative? ISABELLA...WHERE ARE YOU? I think something terrible has happened to her.
Toonsie...I'm jealous of your year around garden. Mary...I'm so happy that your hubby is starting to see the end of the tunnel. What a summer it's been for you!
We had lots of wind last night and branches are down all over. Lots of my apples blew off our fall apple pie tree, they don't look so good either. I think I'll leave them for the deer and not freeze today. I have to concentrate on making something for supper to jump start my diet tonight. You all have a great Wednesday.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 09-01-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

For some unknown reason, my screenview has changed. Everything looks VERY large.

I have just finished 1st week of a 3-week course. Students seem very nice. This class goes so fast, I won't have much time to get tired of them.

Upped my eliptical to 10 minutes today. Have not yet heard from my DD about today's schedule for my marathon training. If I need to do something today, I will go back to gym tonight.

No special plans for today.

Lynn
Old 09-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #6  
Donna

Good September, All!
I can smell Fall..... Summer is OVER. Thank God!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found a site, Recipe4Living, which I LOVE. They have tons of menu ideas, recipes, etc., all for ThoseOfUsWhoStruggle. It might be of interest...

Nothing, nothing, on the agenda today. I found a new crochet pattern (Mother of the Bride Shawl) which I'm making for Aunty Ann for Christmas. It's pretty! I look like a bag lady all winter, with layers of shawls (I keep the furnace low $$$)... and she might like a pretty one, too!

Isabella is in my thoughts and prayers, too. Bobbi, I haven't wanted to say it, but I've thought the same thing you had the courage to say.

PT/Zoe, Rosey, Freda, Karens, everyone... have a lovely 1st day of September! Be safe!

Old 09-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #7  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Oooohhhhh, look at YOU, PT!!!!! You have accomplished so much since you started out, and I'm SO proud of you! LOVE the pic...love it, love it, love it!
Bobbi, yes. I'm afraid for Isabella, too. She really seemed overextended - trying to do so much. Like Jess, I've been unwilling to put it into words, but I'm glad that you did. I remember when Meowee passed away, and we at least were notified. This not knowing what the situation is - if she's ill, or worse - or maybe fine & dandy, but no access? (Oh, that's just SO unlikely - she knew we worried about her, and managed to check in somehow every so often...). Well, maybe we're just not going to know, but it makes me so sad.
September. I can hardly believe it, and at the same time, the seasons just seem to come and go so quickly nowadays that I'm not at all surprised that summer's over. Maybe the plus side is that winter will come and go just as fast...then spring....then I'll be another year older..... Yikes. Anybody remember that Paul Simon song "Slip-sliding Away"? Things sure do seem to be doing that.
Hi Gayle...and Karen3, hello, hello and nice to see you!
DO keep us updated on your marathon training, Lynn....but don't overdo, you hear?
Must put nose back to the grindstone,

Z
Old 09-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #8  

Good Morning all,

Getting ready for a little vacation/family reunion time. We leave tomorrow, 10-11 hour car ride. NOT looking forward to the going, just the getting there. Sorry to say, I am not a good travelr. when I get overly tired I get whiney. You know, like the kids "are we almost there". Lots of family (about 130 last count) and lots of great south food. Which naturally means fried and smothered in grease. And delicious. Prayers, please!

I too am concerned for Isabella. I know we were all thinking the same thing, afraid to give it voicce. I hope she is just busy and don't have time but we fear the worst. Again, anyone that hasn't given their phone number to someone on the board, please do. We worry

Donna, Sounds like it must have cooled down a bit there. I'm hoping we get some cooler weather this weekend. Still pretty hot here. I'm hoping Ky. will be cooler...please...nothing like spending the day outside with 130 people when it's 95. No matter how much you love them, give me a few hours of that and i want to go inside to the air. Love the new picture. You are looking great girl! I'm going to check out the new recipe site. Getting sick of the same old things.

Lynn, Marathon training? you are making my exercise efforts seem sort of slack now. Guess I might have to join you.

Gayle, good to see you. How are your dieting/exercise efforts coming along? I hate computer problems! I am such a moron when it comes to computers I have to have help. And I've come to depend on this thing!

Karen, Hope you're feeling better.

Z, Time goes so quickly any more. this month has simply flown by. I'm lookng forward to fall, but then comes winter. Not looking forward to that so much.

Bobbi, Just finished the 9th in the Patterson series. He just doesn't disapoint, does he? I always love his books. Just got "the Keep" at the library. I'm saving it for tomorrow, something to read in the car. Maybe it will keep me occupied and keep me from whining quite so much. Anyone read it? It's supposed to be quite good.

Toonses, You too? 100 mile bike ride? You amazing woman! I think I'm doing great when I take the grands for a bike ride around the neighborhood.

Mary, I haven't tried those upside down tomato planters but 2 of my neighvors did this year. the tomato vines just withered up and died. I don't think either of them got any tomatoes at all. Maybe they didn't water enough? I had thought about trying them too, they look interesting.

Everyone have a wonderful week

Freda

Last edited by the slim me; 09-01-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #9  

About not being able to get in touch with Isabella -

I have many email addresses and phone numbers for our members (unfortunately, not one for Isabella). Because of privacy reasons, I do not share this information. However, it might be a good idea for each of us to add the email address of a family member. Just in case.

If you want me to add your information, please PM me & I will add to the list.

Lynn
Old 09-01-2010, 10:53 PM   #10  
ecograndma

S/C/G: 253/190/153

Happy September ladies,

It was starting to feel like fall last week, but we will be close to 100 tomorrow.

I never took my measurements when I started my weight loss journey in January, but broke down and took them May 1st. I now check my progress every two months. I just took my measurements and since May I have loss 3 inches off my waist, 4 inches off my hips, 1 inch off my upper arms, 3 inches off each thigh, 4 inches off my chest and 1 inch off of my calves. This is why nothing fits anymore. I just filled up one large garbage bag with nearly new clothes to donate. Right now I am just picking up a couple of things on sale and luckily I can sew so I can take in some of my blouses and slacks for work. I still have a long way to go, but this really made my day. I was so excited I ordered a new Leslie Sansone DVD (this will be number 6) this evening.

I hope none of you will be affected by Earl. This looks like a terrible storm and I hope those on the east coast stay safe. You will be in my thoughts.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #11  
Bobbi

Toonses...Wow, that's fantastic! No wonder nothing fits anymore. We all celebrate with you.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning all....Wow! Just saw where the next storm has been named Gaston. Earl is flying North and Zoe should feel some effect by Saturday. Kinda reminds me of hurricane Bob 10 years ago. Kept skirting the East Coast and nailed New England. You Westerners have to realize that these damn storms are like evil family members.

I am still hobbling about. Having longer better times, but ahhhhh then I pay for it. Been packed in ice so long that when I take a hot shower I melt.

Our power company is offering a program where you have a cp meter that they can turn off power to hot water heater/ac/pool pump for up to an hour if they need the power somewhere else. Give you about $14 month savings. Anyway scheduled the electrian here yesterday to hook up ac and pool pump. He was late coming after rescheduling twice, a complete a**,"multi tasking....figured that out when he called Dh "lov". He was talking to his wife on the phone....then couldn't finish the job because "someone raped his van" and took the switch he needed for the pool pump. Now you are coming to my house to put in a switch why???????????????? Is it me that I tolerate fools less and less......

Got the loveliest invitation to a surprise birthday party yesterday. Clay's 50th! Except neither one of us knew a Clay? Didn't want to rsvp incase we'd offend someone. Puzzled on that for hours and when dawned on Dh that it was Derk the auto mechanic we have used occasionally. huh? Guess is lieu of tips???

Do you all remember when Rosie disappeared on us just like Isabella? Dh has instructions to pop on once and report to you all.

Well need to go get me a gel cushion to sit on at bridge.....hugs, karen3

Last edited by Karen3; 09-02-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #13  

Morning everyone.the suns shining my dh got home yesterday..i am glad hes home,it was to quiet around here no happy medium sigh..yes karen i did disappear didnt i..i think it was for medical reasons tho..probably when i was in the hosp..my dd has instuctions to let you know whats up with me if i dissapear again..i know we are all worried about isabella but maybe she has reasons for being gone that are not in her control..sending prayers that she is fine..the family contact list is an excellent idea..i feel that all the "GG" are family and we worry about each other..nothing exciting on my agenda today i guess the day will unfold as it progresses hope your day is great ((hugs))) rosey
Old 09-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #14  
Donna

Good Morning, All....
Bobbi, I almost choked on my coffee while reading Maxine's newest words of wisdom! Thanks!!!!!!!

PT/Zoe, and anyone else on the E. coast..... oh, my! I'll be thinking good thoughts for you and your safety! Let us know how you're faring, as soon as your computers work again. (I'm just assuming that they won't work for a wee while).

Nothing to report...... nice and cool here today. Life is good! Be safe, everyone!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #15  

Hello,

Today I went to an Irish genealogy group. Had protein bars for breakfast and for lunch. Meeting was at Starbucks. Of course, I was hungry & ate a pumpkin scone - 480 cals!!!!!!!!!!!

Upped eliptical to 11 min & did fast walking on treadmill (2.8) without holding onto handles.

Lynn
Closed Thread