Old 08-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/228/145

Height: 5'6

Default What are you reading?

Just curious , what are you reading. Please share with us

Last edited by Bootsie; 08-30-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:40 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Well, I just finished reading through "8 MINUTES IN THE MORNING" by Jorge Cruise; his plan is fab and very EZ. It is also based on exchanges or portions; and I love his daily boxes for the exchanges; you just check off your servings as you go through the day. I had some photocopied so I have lots available. It is the easiest system I have every seen really. He has the daily calorie allotments across the top of the box already; so there's no calorie counting or figuring out anything.

I love doing my toning exercises and weights in the morning upon waking as I am less likely to put them off. I still do some other stuff later on, if I want to like stretchie band work or chair aerobics or walking (including power walking which he recommends and trekking, etc).

I also read my bible as you know, plus a couple of daily devotionals each day: THE DAILY BREAD & Crystal Cathedral's POSITIVE MINUTE daily devotionals; and they send me their weekly sermons as well.

I am terrible for starting more than one book at a time and recently am reading some older books that I found -- Norman Vincent Peale's "THE POWER OF POSITIVE THINKING" and "ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH PRAYER" by Charles L. Allen.

My newest fluff romance novel is "ETERNITY" by Jude Deveraux; which is just for fun, of course. EDIT TO ADD: Oops, I started reading this book and suddenly realized that I have already read it ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-04-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:09 PM   #3  

The exchange is what I am on Rosebud and it is the one I picked for the rest of my life, for I find it easy . I love The Power of Positive Thinking, it is awesome. I will look for, 8 minutes in the morning at our book store in Marble Falls.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/211/150

Height: 5'3"

I'm currently reading "Foolproofing your life" by Jan Silvious. Perhaps not the most entertaining book in the world, but I'm trying to find Biblical answers for dealing with manipulative people in my life right now.

Realizing that even Christians can use guilt tactics, abusive manipulative tactics and even spiritual abuse to control other people has been a huge eye opener for me. My mom heard this lady on the radio and told me I had to get the book to get the Christian perspective on it. I'm really glad thus far that I have. I had a lot of toxic relationships/influences, even in my church leadership circle that I'm feeling so relieved to be out from under that stress at this time.

Just being able to identify it and realize what was going on has been a huge weight off of my shoulders! (and I love how Silvious uses the Proverbs so clearly and succinctly to identify and define these behaviors!)

still praying that God shows me His direction for my life through all of this. But the book is REALLY good! I think everyone should read it!

Last edited by boots; 09-03-2010 at 09:42 PM.
boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:43 PM   #5  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

A Praying Life by Paul Miller. I'm reading this as part of a group Bible study. We are only on chapter 1 but its very good. I suggested my Hubby read it next.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:58 PM   #6  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

Height: 5'2"

I am reading the Left Behind series again. I enjoyed the books immensly and use them as a motivator to help me do my crunches everday. I will do ten crunches and then read one chapter as a "reward" for doing the crunches Then repeat. By the time I am tired of reading for the evening I will have done 3 to 5 sets of sit ups, reverse sit ups and obliques crunches.
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:27 AM   #7  

Good Morning! All these Books are new to me! I am reading Awaken the Giant within for about the 3rd time.

I love reading the Bible , it is surprising what I think I have read before and God opens my eyes to something I never remembered reading before. I just don't know if I get into a trance reading it or what so strange. Psalms used to be my favorite but lately its been John, Peter, Ecclesiastes...
Old 09-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #8  
Rosebud

I went to our local second-hand shop yesterday and picked up an armful of new books to read (well, new to me). Some are fluff romances, a few novels about life, and one Christian one that sounds really good is called, "LAUGH AGAIN" by Charles R. Swindoll. Will let you know what it's like.

I also picked up a natural health based book by Andrew Weil, M.D., called -- "8 WEEKS TO OPTIMUM HEALTH" ... I noticed that he has included a few of his own favorite recipes as well as some accounts of healing stories. I have read some of this man's other works: he is really a respected health guru.

I even found a couple of newer books that have more than one novel in each book; one is Christmas stories which I will save for around Christmas time, and the other called "THE HOPE CHEST" which has three stories about women spanning 3 centuries ... sounds good to me.

One novel is supposed to be a really good one about life, laughter, and marriage called -- "LOVE LIFE" by James D. Houston. So, I will be pleasantly busy over the next while ...
Old 09-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #9  
Rosebud

My SM lent me a wonderful book by RICHARD PAUL EVANS with three of his most popular books in it. I read the first one last night -- I had read about this story so many times. It is called "THE CHRISTMAS BOX" and I even had a book called "The Christmas Box Miracle" which turned out to be a book about the book "The Christmas Box" ... I had expected it to also include the original story, but it didn't.

So why am I reading a Christmas story now? It just happened to be the first story in the book ... And, it is indeed a very, very good story; try to find it if you can ...

EDIT TO ADD: BTW, the other two stories in the book are called, "THE TIMEPIECE" and "THE LETTER". I just finished "The Timepiece" and it was wonderful too; and it is a continuation or sequel to the "The Christmas Box" ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-14-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:47 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

I am reading "The Shack" by William P. Young... it's wonderful so far, and I suggest it to anyone who hasn't read it! It's about a murder, but it's good for teens and seniors alike. I'm only about 2/3rds through, but it's really great, and it really gives your mind something to chew on. I don't even read books, but I find this one worth my time, most definitely. (:
RicecakeEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #11  

RICECAKES! I have never read a murder mistrey but I watch a-lot of CSI on TV. Has anyone read the book Thin within? I think it is a-lot like the Weigh down diet, not really sure.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:03 PM   #12  
Rosebud

RICEcakeEATER ~ When I was a teenager, I loved to read a lot of those gothic mystery romances where the damsel in distress would inherit an mansion and some mysterious dark & handsome stranger would suddenly come into her life -- now, was he a villain trying to steal all her money, or was he her night in shining armor sent to rescue her from danger ... you had to read the book to find out!!!

BOOTSIE ~ went to a second-hand book store in the city today and guess what book I found? AWAKEN THE GIANT WITHIN by Anthony Robbins; you know, Jorge Cruise recommends his books too ...

I also picked up Don Piper's second book called "HEAVEN IS REAL" ... I already have his first book called "90 MINUTES IN HEAVEN" which is very good too. I really identified with him becuz he had a really bad leg like mine or visa-versa; and it really helped me to feel better when it kept coming out of the socket and I would fall. My DAD told me that I just needed to learn how to fall well ...

And, I also picked up a couple books by Mr. R. H. Schuller (I'm a big fan of this very positive man). One is called "LIFE'S NOT FAIR, BUT GOD IS GOOD" ... and the other is "WHAT HAPPENS TO GOOD PEOPLE WHEN BAD THINGS HAPPEN?" which was written by his son, Robert Anthony Schuller.

Sooo, I've got some more good books to read for this winter for sure ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-19-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #13  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

I'm reading "The Power of Your Words" Walking with God by Agreeing with God. by EW Kenyon.

Makes me think about what I say making sure I'm agreeing with the word of GOd and not my feelings, emotions or circumstances.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #14  
Rosebud

JIGGLE ~ I've heard of that; kinda like, what you say, is what you are ... so we must be careful to focus on the positive. BTW, on reaching those 2 goals -- you must feel so good ...
Old 09-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 48/45/20

Height: 5'2"

I'm notorious for reading more than one at once! I'm reading A Year With God: Living Out the Spiritual Disciplines (Foster & Roller) and Completely His: Loving Jesus Without Limits (Ethridge). I'm also reading Harry Potter (yes, gasp!) Wanted to know what all the uproar is about. They're actually pretty good
jennygirl531 is offline   Reply With Quote