Old 09-16-2010, 07:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 201/145/135

Height: 5'5

Default I have a question for all you lovely people...

I'm new to 3fc and I quite like it here. I am hoping that someone might help me with an issue I've been having...

I have been "dieting" since I was 10 years old, not by my choice.
Always the "diets" were restrictive- you can't eat carbohydrates or meat or anything but fresh vegetables, etc.
Despite my attempts at controlling what I ate I ended up very obese for my height at age 21 (now).

For the first time ever I chose to count calories.
I started just last month.
I feel like I stumbled up a party on the lost island of Atlantis that involves Big Foot, Marilyn Monroe, and a lifetime supply of cute shoes- that is to say- calorie counting is AMAZING!
Why didn't I do this before?
Why doesn't everyone count their calories?
It's just so easy I almost can't believe it (like a Shamwow or Mighty Putty)

Which is why I'm here, asking this question...
It seems too easy...
Or too good to be true?

I'm eating 1200 calories a day and I'm completely, 100% satisfied (I stated this in another post)
In fact, I'm so satisfied that it scares me.

Also sometimes I feel like I'm getting away with something naughty-
and that is odd, now isn't it? In terms of calorie counting at least?

So, I'm just wondering if this is a normal way to be feeling?
Does anyone else feel this way?
I feel like I just won the lottery. The Healthy Body Lottery of Wonderfulness
Kaala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:09 AM   #2  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Yes, plain old calorie counting was the answer for me. I tend to eat a healthy balance of mostly whole foods, but don't have to. I can stray from the healthiest choices and as long as I stick to my calorie budget, the weight still comes off.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/150

Height: 5'11"

I agree. That's the wonderful thing about calorie counting. It's a really simple concept, calories in, calories out. And it's your choice what those calories are! (within reason, of course)

I love it, I love that I can still eat anywhere, I just have to eat less sometimes. I love that I can plan for a big meal, and nothing is denied.

I was talking to my mother last night and said the same thing you did, I've been on a diet for 15 years now, but still managed to be 100 pounds overweight. I'd deny myself things, but I still couldn't keep weight off! This is SO much better!

I'm so glad you like it, and I'm so glad you're excited for your lifestyle change! Welcome and stick with it, it's SOOOO worth it!
cherbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #4  
weight, be gone!

S/C/G: 227/191/125

Height: 5' 4"

Calorie counting is the answer for me, too... I have tried restrictive diets and they've always failed because I am the type that if I deny myself something, I'm going to end up binging.
lolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:58 AM   #5  

Height: 5'3

Spread the enthusiasm.!! It made my day. Glad it works so well for you.
2Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 192/132/135

Height: 5'3

It did it for me and I love it.. Is the best way to go about loosing weight.
RoseRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #7  

Height: 5' 8"

It is working for me. :0)

For me the key is to keep on counting, eating healthy choices (for the most part) getting enough sleep (reduces my cravings) and getting exercise in.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:37 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/115

Height: 4'10"

I think a lot of people avoid just old fashioned calorie counting, because they see it as too much work. If you tell someone that they can either make sure to log everything they eat, and check its calorie content to lose weight, or they can just remove all bread and rice to do it..which do you figure they will take?

Personally, I have never understood carb restriction. I remember many years ago, I knew a lady who was on the 1980's version of low carb Low carb has been in and out of vogue for at least 50 years. Anyway, I remember asking her about what she was eating..and remember her telling me that "oh no..I cant eat carrots". You cant eat carrots? Are you kidding me? Carrots are BAD for you? I know that this does work for some people, and I am not knocking those who use this method, but honestly, any diet that puts carrots and bananas on a no-no list is simply not for me. It is not that I am a huge carrot and banana fan. I like both, and have them regularly, but if they were BAD for me, I would have no issue removing them. But, plain and simple, they are NOT bad for you. They are wholesome natural foods, and I can't get behind any diet that won't let you eat them.
I find a simple watching of calories in vs calories out to be the simplest and most common sense way to handle weight control. And with so many simple and free programs out there to help you track your calories, it is virtually no effort at all. 10 minutes of inputting, and you are done. Honestly, whats not to love?
TornadoSiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 188/188/175

Height: 5'5"

I know! It seems so easy, huh? You eat what you want and learn to make smart decisions. Why didn't anyone ever make it so simple before???
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryesings View Post
Yes, plain old calorie counting was the answer for me. I tend to eat a healthy balance of mostly whole foods, but don't have to. I can stray from the healthiest choices and as long as I stick to my calorie budget, the weight still comes off.
Same here. You have a bit more freedom in what you eat. It's about making right decisions. I think it's more realistic than other "diet" like Atkins or something. It's more life term. It helps with the holiday's and vacations lol.

Last edited by LittlePinky82; 09-16-2010 at 01:23 PM.
LittlePinky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #11  
~~transforming Diva~

S/C/G: 368-heaviest 299/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

I too am a calorie counter - as soon as the words, "You can't eat ____" I am already putting it in my mouth. Calorie counting allows me to make healthy wholesome choices and give me room to manuever if I know I will eat something that maybe not be as good a choice. I do find that when i calorie count, I eat much more but it is healthier food so I am happy!!
WillsAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #12  
Super Single Mom

S/C/G: HW/SW 275/ CW 266.2 /GW 160

Height: 5'7"

I am a calorie counter too. And since I have re-started my journey back in the end of July, counting calories has been my way of doing things. I like the freedom you have with counting. You can choose some of the "treat" foods as long as you plan for it. That's the part I love about it.

Best of luck to you. I hope it continues to work for you!
Vixsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #13  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

I love counting calories too!! It's working for me because like WillsAngel tell me I can't have it and it's all I want. So I eat it and bam back to big girl status. It's liberating. You can get full and not worry about eating and still wanting more. You can have treats and go out with friends. Just allow for it in your calorie budget. People are always telling me it's "too much work". I said well being a size 24 was more work.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:11 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 201/145/135

Height: 5'5

Thank you everyone for your replies!

I feel so blessed to have finally found something
I can do long-term.
Kaala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Yeah it is pretty simple, its been my only successful method as well. I just can't stop or I gain it all back and then some. keeps me accountable i guess.

Good luck and congrats on your loss thus far!
ElizabethG is offline   Reply With Quote