Old 09-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #1  
Kimberley

S/C/G: 23st 6lbs

Height: 5ft 11

Default Best advice for beginners.

Hi All

Although i am not new to atkins i have not done it for several years now, infact the last time i did it was when i was in secondary school. I have read through all the usual information and i am currently in the process or re-reading the book however i know there is no better advice than that from people actually out there living it. So does anyone have any useful advice? Things they found surprising? Things that helped them through? Etc. Any advice you can give will help me greatly Thanks and i hope to speak to you all as my journey progresses

xxx
kimberleyanddarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #2  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Kimberley, which Atkins plan are you following? The 1972 Induction?

I have found that staying away from processed/packaged foods, such as ham, lunch meats, hot dogs, or anything pre-made helps tremendously. Also, not drinking caffeine or using artificial sweeteners.

Without knowing that it is often called reverse-rung method, or backing into Induction, I cut down on things gradually over several years. I started by giving up the sugar/honey/artificial sweeteners, refined flour, high fructose corn syrup, and avoiding foods in packages full of MSG and other harmful things. A few more steps, leaving out gluten grains and then all grain, legumes and seed oils, and I realized that my food plan was very similar to the 1972 Induction list. (I eat a few nuts or nut butters, a bit more high fat dairy, and occasionally some fruit or a parsnip or beet.)

I don't eat things not on my plan. I find eating real food very satisfying. It has helped me become healthier than ever. I find it a calm and strengthening way to eat.

Hope this answers a bit of what you asked.

All the best to you.

Last edited by SilverLife; 09-12-2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: clarification
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/295/175

Height: 5'6'

My best advice is plan your snacks. That has always been my downfall. When I get hungry and I can't find anything to snack on, or I have to prepare it and I don't have time because I'm running out the door. It helps me stay on it when there is something easily ready for me to snack on.

Good luck!
luckie13luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:21 AM   #4  
Kimberley

Thanks for the advice, my hardest one will be to give up sweetners in my coffee. I drink decaff coffee but with sweetners in and i must say i love it, it will be the hardest thing to give up but i hope to gradually reduce the amount i have over time and perhaps keep them for special occasions or when i particularly feel i need a pick me up.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #5  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Kimberley, if you like the taste of stevia, it is the healthiest of all the artificial sweeteners. I know how it is to have to wean myself slowly off of certain things. I still make a tea from fresh stevia leaves occasionally and make something. I grow stevia plants, which are perennials where I live. I usually give most of the leaves to someone in my family, but save a few for myself.

The commercial stevia sweeteners have a bit of a bitter aftertaste, but they come in handy sometimes.
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #6  
Kimberley

thanks for the hint, being in the uk i am not sure if we have them here but i will certainly keep an eye out
Old 09-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #7  
Just starting again

S/C/G: 276/256/180 ish?

Height: 5'7

Default Keto strips

One of my favorite things about this diet is keto strips. They keep you on track and help you to see success even when the scale is not moving. When I wonder if I ate too much of something i get out my keto strips and see if I have strayed or if i'm ok. If you are re reading the book you should come across the information. I suggest you get some and use them, they are very encouraging...
DandyDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/295/175

Height: 5'6'

I agree about the Keto strips! I am only on day 5, and am trying to not look at the scale too much till the whole 7 days is up. So I tried the keto strips to see how I was, and it was pretty purple!! It was so encouraging! I am so glad I did it. Now I know that I'm at least at a good start.
luckie13luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:26 AM   #9  

S/C/G: starting size 18/ Goal size 10

Height: 5'5''

I so agree, I also love the Keto Strips.
ghost girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:42 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 180/175/130

Height: 5'5

If you want to ease into Atkins, what I did was:

Decided to eat less processed foods
Decided to not eat meat anymore
Decided to try the BFC
Lost10 lbs
Decided to reintroduce meat and cut out all sugar grains and beans

Lost another 5 to 10 lbs

I eat only quality meats, and most is fish...

I have lost 1 pant size in 6 weeks and I still have times when I fall off the wagon, so it is working for me...

Good Luck, the most important thing I found is to figure out what is right for YOUR body!~
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

The suggestion about always having prepared foods available is a biggie! Not only for snacks but also for meals, often.
Let's say you're tied-up all day and get home late, and you are ravenously hungry...and need something immediately. Or say you wake up in the middle of the night with extreme hunger pangs.
I always kept chicken salad, egg salad, etc. in the fridge. When I had time, I would roast a whole bunch of chicken breasts, cut them up and make a large amount of chicken salad. Or cook a dozen or more eggs and make egg salad.

Don't put yourself in a situation where you're starving and tired, need something to eat immediately and absolutely don't feel like cooking a meal and there is no available Atkins foods. Huge risk of eating something unapproved. Not only is having prepared foods available a biggie....but even more, to always make sure there are plenty of Atkins approved items in your kitchen. Don't run out of these foods...make sure they are always available for you. I always had plenty of eggs, veggies, etc. in my kitchen and made sure I never ran out of approved foods I could eat.

Also....i did use Splenda but had to cut waaay back on it and could only use maximum 3 packs per day. As the diet progressed I was able to raise that amount a bit...as my metabolism became more efficient.

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:30 AM   #12  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Such good advice and tips from everyone! I've read and thought about every one of your posts. Thank you.

Welcome, kimberlyanddarren...post often. This is a great group for support and help.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote