Old 09-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Default I broke my toe

The very same day I posted about finally dropping two lbs., I kicked the end of my bed, taking out three toes. Here it is 11 days later and it's still sore, so I finally went for an x-ray this morning and it's official: it's busted. I'm trying to look on the bright side, that it's JUST the toe and not my foot (my worry, because of the swelling still going on) AND that the x-ray technician actually told me (normally it's like a major secret that only my doctor can convey, but mine's outta town for the week) and she asked the radiologist if they should boot me or not--apparently if I'd hit the clinic when it happened, not like 2 weeks later they could've, but now all I can do is take Advil and tape the toes together. I'm also not allowed to treadmill or Zumba, so I'm paranoid about my eating. I went swimming last night and will again tomorrow night, but it just doesn't feel like the same workout, you know?

I feel like such a dumbass.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Awe! I'm sorry! That's miserable not to be able to exercise. The pool IS a great workout though! Good for you for not taking your grief to the couch with a bag of chips! LOL!

I broke my toe the night before my mom's remarriage. I was 16 years old and was swimming at the hotel with relatives. I thought I was in the deep end but it was only 3 ft and I kicked to come up. I broke my middle toe. I'm still not sure how the middle toe managed to get isolated. I walked down the aisle barefoot. My grandmother chastised me and accused me of being spoiled, basically, like I was just whining to ruin my mom's wedding. She really didn't know me well. My mom understood. I had a broken toe, for goodness sake!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Ug it happens to us all. I broke my large toe this way and the toenail turned blue and I freaked out thinking I was going to lose my toenail. All I could do was let it heal. And it took almost 9 months for all the blue to leave my toenail. The doctor said it was blood underneath the toenail and it was all dried up and not to worry. I just kept painting my toenails to hide the blue lol.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #4  
from Here to There...

S/C/G: 256.2 lbs/241.2 lbs/120 lbs

Height: 5'4"

Chrissy - that's awful; hope it doesn't take too long to heal. When I broke my toe, they didn't have boots; just told me to walk on my heel. It was so swollen I was trying my sister's sandals that were two sizes bigger, and I couldn't put them on. If you have freeweights at home, you could do some curls and stuff sitting down so your foot rests. There are also twists you can do sitting down with a towel or broom handle. It's not cardio, but it might help.

Eliana - I broke my toe the same way, except I was in the deep end. Toe beside my big toe - how that one got isolated, I don't know! It's shorter than my big toe.
SeaWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/234/150

I've broken my toe several times. The last time was a week before my high school graduation, where I HAD to wear shoes and when I was a life guard. no fun. I also hate how there is nothing you can do for it.

I'm sorry, I know your pain. Literally.
Cassie8236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #6  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

Major bummer! Keep up the swimming, though - swimming is a fantastic workout!
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Thanks for the commiseration, ladies, it does help.

WRT swimming as exercise, I'm not a strong swimmer, so I don't know that I'm efficiently burning calories, you know? I also feel very self-conscious because the lifeguards stand guard (duh, I guess that's why they're lifeguards, right? LOL) and I feel like they're watching me and judging my non-skills. See? I can flail around in Zumba with no problem, but I'm uber-self-conscious about my swimming.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote