Thread: Deli Food
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
mandalinn82
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I try to build a healthy sandwich like this:

1. Choose a lower calorie bread. Sliced breads are typically lower calorie than rolls, since they are smaller. Sliced whole wheat is a good option if it is available. Sliced sourdough also tends to be lower calorie than other breads.

2. Pick a filling. Turkey, roast beef, chicken, ham - turkey is probably the leanest choice, but most sliced deli meats aren't catastrophically high in calories. The exceptions are things like salami, which are high in fat. A lot of delis overstuff their sandwiches with meat - if it seems like a huge portion, it might be good to remove some to save for a later sandwich.

3. Limit high-cal additions. That means cheese, mayo, etc. These just pack the calories onto your sandwich. You might try drizzling a bit of balsamic vinegar on, or using mustard to moisten the bread without excessive calories. I normally can't even TASTE cheese on a sandwich, so I usually don't have a problem not adding it.

4. Pile up the lower calorie stuff. Veggies are your friend! Raw, roasted, grilled, etc.

No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch!

Maintained Oct 2007-Sept 2011, then got pregnant. Our baby boy was born in May, 2012...now to lose the baby weight!!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote