S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Weekly Chat: September 6-September 12

New Pages!
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:38 AM   #2  

Good Morning! Rise and Shine! Time to get up! Jojo is half a day ahead of us already. And, she went to the DIY store. Excuse me, Jojo, this is Labo(u)r Day. NO WORKING!

That said, the family is coming for lunch and I've got to cook. I'm making what we call "King Ranch Casserole" named for the famous King Ranch here in Texas. (What do you mean you've never heard of the King Ranch?) It's not Core, but it's not the worst: chicken breast, corn tortillas, cream soups (I'll use low fat of course), salsa and the dreaded cheese. I'll pick out the chicken and scrape off the cheese.

I've already lost a pound with just a few days of keeping the fat consumption to around 30 grams a day. It's really not easy, but perhaps it will get me off of this plateau anyway.

Have a great day everyone.

Rhonda
Old 09-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 153/142/130

Height: 5'2"

Happy Labor Day, chickies! Are y'all doing something fun? I think we are going to stay home.

Rhonda, what source(s) are you using to track your fat grams? Also, are you staying low cal, too? Just wondering.

Mornin' Jojo, I'll have to check out that crest. I have a picture of my father's family crest. His family was part of the McAllister clan; my maiden name was Allison.

Have a happy holiday, y'all! TTFN
sloanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #4  
focused and aiming

Happy Labor Day, Chickies!!

We are up early as we have a helper here taking care of flowerbeds and raking grass, etc.... I had oatmeal with blueberries for bfast. It was yummy.

Rhonda, I love that casserole. I've never stayed at the King Ranch, but I have stayed at the Y O Hilton that's on the Y O Ranch. Fun place!

JoJo, what project are you working? Sloan has been doing kitchen remodeling and Nancy has been busy with home projects, too. You chickies are hard workers. Curtis and I have small projects going but last summer we had new porches/decks built.

I had the neatest thing happen this AM. Actually 2 of them. The first happened when I was standing on the back porch holding an empty hummingbird feeder (I had just hang a fresh one out back and was taking the "old" one in for cleaning.) Three or four (hard to count those little buggers sometimes.) came to the fresh feeder then one came within 3 or 4 feet of me at the backdoor and hovered watching me trying to figure out what I was doing with the feeder. Then he left; then he came back for a repeat.

Episode #2 happened in the front yard again with a hummer (probably the same one). I had just hung the fresh feeder and was standing around 3 feet away when he came back and fed. He even fed with his back to me.

What a perfect way to start a day!

I did wi this AM and was down. Life is good. Now it may be hard to wait another 30 days before weighing, but that's the plan.
ontarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #5  

Sloan, I'm using fitday.com I am trying to stay at 12-1500 calories a day.

Sandra, what a sweet story. We have hardly any hummers but tons of jays and other birds. I'm going to plant some Turks Caps because that should bring the hummers around.

BBL
Old 09-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #6  
beachbum

Good Morning Ladies

Got up late,as I went to bed late last night,than this morning I went out to the beach to get some walking done before the remainder of the tourist get there.

Going to have a me,myself & I Labor Day BBQ with a beef burger and two hot dogs on baked beans for dinner. Decided since we have beautiful days ahead I'm going to keep my BBQ grill going even if it by myself.

Have to start the BBQ have a wonderful Holiday and see you guy tomorrow as I'm going to watch the final outcome of the Duesche Bank Golf tournament.
beach bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:42 AM   #7  
focused and aiming

Rhonda, I haven't heard of Turks' Caps. Let me know how they work. We're using honeysuckles and coneflowers mostly. Today it looked like a red bowl was pretty good, too, for attracting them. :lol

Maryann, your day sounds good to me. We may have chili dogs later. I'm thinking baked fried chicken for lunch, though.

Curtis is outside mowing and Andrew is cleaning flowerbeds. I will start cooking lunch in a few minutes.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:50 PM   #8  

Hey chickies! We have had a productive day. DH and DS put two attic fans in upstairs. They should have been installed earlier, but it was dangerously hot in the attic; better late than never. I got busy and made 12 8oz. jars of Wild Persimmon Jam. I have never canned before, and I have to say that it was pretty easy. I even sealed the jars in a water bath! We tasted some of the jam, and it is yummy! It has the consistency of apple butter, but is a little tart due to the orange and peach jello that the recipe called for. We have a persimmon tree in our back yard, and it drops tons of persimmons every year. I think I have enough to make about 12 jars of Spiced Presimmon Butter, too.

Sandra, congrats on the weight loss!!! I love your story about the hummers.

Rhonda, thanks for the info about fitday. What are Turks caps?

Maryann, enjoy your day. I think it sounds nice!

Nancy, are you okay? Let us know how you are!

Hey Vickie and Jojo
Old 09-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #9  
focused and aiming

Your persimmon goodies sound delish, Sloan. I'd never heard of making jam out of persimmons. I'm curious as to the taste.

Well, Chickies, the results are in.........FRIED FRITO PIE won best tasting new fried food item at the Texas State Fair.

We had taco soup/cornbread for dinner. It was pretty good. I have a pan of cornbread in the oven now. We don't like to run out.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #10  

Fried Frito Pie No calories in that!

Sloan, Turks Caps are a flower, native to here that attract hummingbirds. Tall, willowy, with red flowers at the end.

We had a good lunch, and I had a good workout. I had just a sliver of the pie.

Then, I saw Todd who worked me to a frazzle.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #11  

Fried Frito Pie sounds like good, but I'm getting heartburn just thinkin' about it.

Sandra, persimmons taste faintly of plums, but are almost tasteless. The recipe I used called for peach or apricot jello to be added. I love apricot, but the store didn't have any, so I used peach and orange jello. The jam is sweet and tart, and it tastes like peach. Is the recipe you use for the cornbread posted here?

Rhonda, congrats on having only a sliver of pie! That is quite an accomplishment

I've been op for three whole days!! It has been a very long time since I have done that
Old 09-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #12  
focused and aiming

Sloan, I confess I'm not using CORE cornbread. I use Texas Yellow Cornbread mix. (And I melt butter in the pan before adding the batter.)

Rhonda, I thought you were probably taking Labor Day off. Sounds like you had a full, fun day.

I just had some delicious green grapes. That's all for tonight. The kitchen is closed.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #13  

But Sandra, there's no rest for us serious body builders. We never take a day off!
Old 09-06-2010, 10:52 PM   #14  
focused and aiming

And I reopened the kitchen. I had 1/2 a sandwich. Now lightning will probably strike me.

Last edited by ontarget; 09-06-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:39 AM   #15  
hopeless but harmless

Height: 5' 5"

Hello everyone! Did you all have a good Labor day? Gosh I remember L.D. and Thanksgiving when you were encouraged to eat your own weight in food in a 24 hour period. Happy memories of happy days. I always feel sorry for any American on a diet towards the end of the year. Thanksgiving and then Christmas following on its heels was a dangerous time

Sandra Umpteen projects on hand. We are planning to move in the spring. We have been in this house for 32 of our 35 married years and there are just too many memories here. We have an old early Victorian house and are in the process of decorating. The ceilings are awfully high, we have several long corridors, the bedrooms are all double, the floor boards uneven oak and on top of that we have a double cellar and a large attic. Houses aren't moving very quickly but we hope they will get a wriggle on next year. We are looking for a small bungalow or 2 bedroom house with a managable garden. Any money we have left over from the sale we want to buy a camper van so we can have holidays when we feel like just upping sticks and going. A different sunset every night.

I haven't heard of Turk's caps either, but then, a few years ago butternuts were only sold on the exotic veg counter at the markets here. Now they are run of themill and I'm so glad because I LOVE them roasted.
jojo23 is offline   Reply With Quote