General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-08-2010, 09:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - why can't I get into this book?

Everyone raves about this book. It's on all the best seller lists, they're making it into a movie starting Daniel freakin' Craig!

I'm about 100 pages in and I am so bored. He is in a cold little village, he's eating sandwiches, none of the other characters are interesting.

Right now, it's my guaranteed to make me fall asleep book, I read about 15 pages a night, and then I pass out.

Can anyone let me know why I should stick with it?
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #2  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

It does start slow, but then you'll want to continue. That's how it happened for me. I wondered what the big deal was... then I found out.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #3  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

The book is very slow to get into. I was bored out of my mind too. The financial stuff is HORRIBLY boring!!! I dunno why that was even important. But once Lisbeth starts helping Bloomvist, things get a lot better. Trust me. The Girl Who Played with Fire was A LOT better. I couldnt make it through the last book though. I was bored to tears, and spent 3 weeks trying to finish it. I just read the last chapter and gave up on it.

As for the movie..I'm very against it being made. I thought the Swedish version was excellent!! It stuck closely to the book. The girl who played Lisbeth was spot on. I don't think I will see the new version. I'm waiting for Played with Fire to come out on itunes so I can rent it.

Last edited by Shopaholic1204; 09-08-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 250+/176/149

We just rented the Swedish version and it was very good!! Not yet read the book but I'd def recommend sticking with it a bit more.
hhichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:05 AM   #5  
I was born this way hey!

I personally think you can watch the movie and then just go right into the 2nd book. The movie skips all the boring stuff.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who can't get into this book. I was so excited about it, and it has become the book that sits on top of the toilet for anyone to read who can find more interest in it than me. Maybe I will watch the movie that's already out. I only got to MAYBE page 30 if that. (Sad thing, the magazines by the toilet still get more play than that book!!)
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Jen~I was like you and had an extremely hard time getting into this book. The worst part for me was remembering all the names! They're so similar to each other and I kept getting confused. And it was so slow. And boring. And you have to stick with it. It gets better, although I have to say it is way past the half-way mark. Books two and three are even better, but if you don't know the stories behind the characters (which you get in book 1) you won't understand what drives them.

Or rent the movie (it's on Netflix ondemand so you can watch it on your computer). It's violent and it does skip the superfluous stuff, but you have to read the subtitles. I'm not convinced that the American version movie will do the book justice.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #8  
Changing behaviours

I am SO GLAD to hear that people other than me don't get this book. I finished it, because I can't not finish a book, but it was torture
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #9  
I was born this way hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
I'm not convinced that the American version movie will do the book justice.
I agree. I don't see why they need to make an American version.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #10  
Future Skinny Pastry Chef

S/C/G: 285/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

The first book is hard to get into because it starts so slow, but it really picks up about 150 pages in. The second book is really good and the third book is cathartic.
Rashomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Ohmygod, on page two hundred it FINALLY got interesting. I thought the ending was kinda eh, but so glad to be done with that!

Spoiler below - white text, just highlight to read. Don't read if you are sensitive!

I was a little amused the book went from NOTHING going on to a anal rape with a butt plug. Just seemed a little out of the blue?
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #12  
Changing behaviours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
Ohmygod, on page two hundred it FINALLY got interesting. I thought the ending was kinda eh, but so glad to be done with that!

Spoiler below - white text, just highlight to read. Don't read if you are sensitive!

I was a little amused the book went from NOTHING going on to a anal rape with a butt plug. Just seemed a little out of the blue?
Had to laugh at this ^^, SO true!
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 181/175/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic1204 View Post
I agree. I don't see why they need to make an American version.
A lot of Americans don't like subtitles. It's unfortunate that a lot of these great foreign films are being made into really crappy English films. I was so disappointed to hear that Let the Right One In is now an English film; it was already good!

Last edited by therex; 09-11-2010 at 12:45 PM.
therex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #14  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Just finished it and agree that the /businessfinancial stuff was a drag during the first part. Who knew?
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I've got the book on my nightstand to start. Glad to know that it may be slow to get into-- that way I won't give up on it. Actually dh took it with him on his overseas trip and he returns tonight. I'll be curious to see if he read it and what he thought before I give it a whirl!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote