Old 09-05-2010, 09:44 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default Web Resources for Menu Planning/Calorie or Food Tracking?

Hello All,

Can you share with me some of your favorite websites or applications? I am really looking for free resources with a way to plan menus and keep track of my calories, water and exercise. I know that there are a ton out there and the sheer number is kind of overwhelming.

So, in other words - what has helped you & why? Thanks!

-Goldielockes
Goldielockes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:36 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I track my food and exercise for free at sparkpeople.com
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:03 AM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I use DietPower. It's not free but it was $49 8 years ago, so it doesn't owe me anything. It's probably not the most flexible system but I'm used to it.

To me, the best thing about these sites/programmes is not so much counting the calories - although it's far easier this way rather than with a notepad and pencil - but counting the nutrients. When I first discovered DP, I couldn't understand why, although I was eating the 'right' number of calories and was losing weight at a healthy rate, I felt so poorly: turns out I was way low on some very essential vits and mins, now I'm not.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #4  
WW Moderator

I switch off between FitDay and Daily Plate. FitDay lets me put in personalized menu options as repeaters (good for smoothies and other homemade concoctions) but Daily Plate is quicker, and has more to choose from. One warning for Daily Plate - make sure the item says 'verified', because there is a lot of inaccurate info that people have entered in for themselves.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer 3FC View Post
I switch off between FitDay and Daily Plate. FitDay lets me put in personalized menu options as repeaters (good for smoothies and other homemade concoctions) but Daily Plate is quicker, and has more to choose from. One warning for Daily Plate - make sure the item says 'verified', because there is a lot of inaccurate info that people have entered in for themselves.
Another vote for the Daily Plate. To add to the warning Jennifer gave you above (great name, btw ) even "Verified" numbers can occasionally be off for packaged and restaurant food, so you should compare any nutrition labels to the numbers TDP gives you. I think this is because of regional variations and changes in product.

Good luck!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #6  
Knowing I'm worth it!

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

I have the PC version of Fitday and love it. I also used a multiple of sites on the web for items I can't find in Fitday, such as restaurants, calorie King, and Daily Plate.
Teresa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #7  
Shooting Star

S/C/G: 261.2/245.8/199

Height: 5'7.5"

Another vote for FitDay here. I like that you can create a "custom food," so when they don't have a food listed I can just look it up on another site and add it in.

It also tracks nutrients and has a lot of custom options. I just use the free online versions, though I am considering purchasing the PC version.
StarGetsFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW 246 /CW 229 /GW 150

Height: 5 ' 1"

I use myfooddiary.com it's $9 per month. They have a fridge feature and it's so easy just click and submit. It takes a little bit of time to add the food to your fridge but it makes it so easy. They have a free trial for 7 days and you can cancel it online without having to call or chat with anyone.
catowned is offline   Reply With Quote