View Single Post
Old 03-10-2003, 01:53 PM   #7
QueenB
Progress..not perfection

Talking I'm BAAAACK......(again)

Well guys.....I am glad that I am typing this, because I literally have no voice left! I am also glad that I'm typing with my fingers....because they are not sunburned. hint hint.....most of me, is. But that's ok, because I will brown, or peel (peel probably) but we did NOT get rained on, and that was the goal after all, wasn't it?

First and foremost, I wanted to mention that I met a girl there that posts on my Tony website and how awesome it was to meet her. She is an absolutely awesome person and one of the sweetest people I have ever met. I was so afraid that we wouldn't find one another even though we had told each other what we were wearing and had picked a time and place to meet. She had even prepared a sign (like you hold at the airport) with a picture of Tony holding the WC trophy and above him was mine and Ron's names spelled out in colored bubble letters. I asked if I could keep it and I'm putting it in the Tony room as a momento. It was so strange to me that I had never actually "met" her, yet she felt like an old friend to me. We greeted each other with a hug and as she left we gave each other a hug and I really feel sad that I don't know when I will see her again. I feel really blessed that through our appreciation of a certain Mr. Stewart, two ladies were able to meet that othewise wouldn't have. I would also like to add that I knew I had met a kindred spirit when we were having our picture taken together (by her family) and I asked Ron to take one of us too and she said, "Are you sure you want to give him the camera? We want to have them come out, don't we? I just loved that.
The race was absolutely awesome! I'm tired, sunburned, my legs are killing me and I had to sit in traffice for 4 hours and I don't care. Of course you know I wanted Tony to win, (duh) but if he couldn't, there is no one I would have rather won than Bobby. I absolutely loved the way he took command of that track and showed Gordo who was boss. It was also awesome (how many more times can I use that word) that Tony ran up front all day and is now SECOND in pts! He didn't feel well yesterday and they were giving him some ice in his car after the race and he said he talked about how he loved racing in Atlanta and I loved hearing that voice across my headphones as I was walking through the track...it was so neat.

We left about 4:30 am so we could get in there at a good time and I think we got at the track (after one bathroom, one food and one gas stop---we called them "pit stops") just a little before 8:00. We parked fairly close to our seats and got into the track right as they opened the gates. We staked our "claim" on our seats and headed out into the racing atmosphere....one of my most favorite things to do. I just felt like I was walking in the clouds. I love the smell of the foods cooking, octane running, loud music blaring and even the heat coming up off the asphalt. There is so much that contributes to the "racing experience" than just the race itself.

I was very good spending wise, (I have to save money for Bristol, you know) and only bought a clear plastic Tony backpack, which I love, a new Tony shirt which is DA BOMB, some of those headphones with built in radio & Ron got a couple of hat pins as well.

I would also like to say I was amazed at the amount of Tony fans there. As me and Julie were walking around, I kept saying, "There's a Tony fan...there's a Tony fan & there's a Tony fan!" I told her I wished I had one of those little clicker devices, so I could click off the number of people that I saw wearing Tony gear. I guess the reason I'm shocked, proud or whatever you might call it, is because for the last couple of years, you usually have to defend the fact that you're a Tony fan or get cussed out or made fun of because you support the best driver on the track. (in my opinion) There was a time when you would find yourself swimming upstream in a sea of red (Jr. fans) and praying you could just catch a glimpse of orange and when you finally did, you were so happy to see them that you either hugged an entire stranger or would at least pat them on the back simply because you knew you were down in the trenches together. But yesterday, you would be hard pressed to scan the crowd and not find lots of Tony fans. Now, I'm not sure which of these are true fans...and how many of these have just jumped on the Winston Cup bandwagon, but I can say this: In the Weaver grandstands yesterday, there was a man named Ron, a lady named Tina and a lady named Julie that were truly proud and honored to be called Tony fans.

NOW......only one week and 4 days till Bristol!

By the way, film has been dropped off at Eckerds and will be picked up after work and hopefully, (fingers crossed) pictures will be posted sometime this evening.

I love you and missed you guys a bunch!