Old 09-04-2010, 12:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 310/281/160

Height: 5'10"

Default Introducing myself

Hi everyone,
I'm new here and am just jumping in. I have about 120-150 pounds to lose from my starting weight of 310. I am currently down to 285, for a total of 25 pounds in the past two months. I haven't exactly been on a formal plan, but rather changed my eating habits after we discovered my husband was diabetic two months ago. Since his diagnosis we have cut out almost all processed foods and are switching to leaner meats, fresh fruits and vegetables and learning portion control and moderation. I have also cut out a lot of soda, and stopped eating fast food. I still treat myself about once a week by having lunch with co-workers, but instead of a double cheeseburger and large fries I might get a kids burger, small fries and a bottled water, OR a Wendy's chili and side salad, and I'm surprised at how satisfying it is.

Though I didn't go into this to lose weight (even if it was needed), I've seen such a big difference with very little effort, I've decided to kick it up a little and see what happens. The eating habits have to be permanent if we hope to keep DH off of shots and control his diabetes with oral meds, but I'm also benefiting from it because I have a family history of diabetes as well. I also like the example I'm setting for my son so that maybe he will grow up with healthier habits than his parents had.

I look forward to meeting and learning from all of you.
Gamecockgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:39 PM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Sounds like you've got it nailed! Well done on the loss already.

I lack the will power to do it your way, I need the safety net of following a calorie/carb counted plan ~ so I really admire you!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4

That's awesome! Sounds like you just need to continue striving for a healthy diet and maybe throw some decent exercise in, and you're good to go

Very good to have you here!
althepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:53 PM   #4  
TEAM CUPID & BL BLUE TEAM

S/C/G: 306/see ticker/153

Height: 5'3

Hi there!! I could have written your post WORD FOR WORD. I started out at 306, am down to 285.8 (officially, it will be lower by tomorrow on my weigh in day. LOL). My dh was Dx with diabetes a month and a half ago, which started our lifestyle change to get healthy. We've also cut out all (or most) processed foods, ALL sodas, most fast food, and junk. We're eating lots of veggies, fruits, and well balanced meals. It's be a GREAT experience so far for our family.

Like you, my goal wasn't to lose weight, but now I'm excited about it. I've just started exercising here at home, and can't wait to see the unhealthy side of me continue to fall away.

Welcome to the group (I just discovered this place about a week ago). Feel free to hollar at me (via yahoo, pm, facebook, etc etc) anytime.
JackieHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:45 PM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Welcome!! I love all the new activity we have here. It's so nice you have joined us and I'm glad to hear you're already well on your way.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #6  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hi and welcome!

Good luck with your goals
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #7  

Hi and welcome!

I'm at 290ls..which is getting close to your current weight. I'm surprised you've been finding losing relatively easy (although, hey good for you!). What's your secret? Different motivation this time, or just feel you are more ready? Just curious....

Hope we can stick around and learn from each other.

ReitmansFatGirl
ReitmansFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 310/281/160

Height: 5'10"

Hi Reitmans...for me it is easy, for now and for 2 reasons. First, and it's almost embarrassing, I've cut out all fast food. This impacted me greatly because I would sometimes eat fast food 3 meals a day. I'm embarrassed I fed that to my family that much. So even if I didn't eat "healthy" food, the simple act of switching to home cooked meals would make a huge difference. And, the second reason, is the food I'm eating now is not a choice. My husband is diabetic, like his father and grandfather, and controlling his diabetes through diet really is a matter of life or death. Plus, I really want this "family tradition" to end with my husband...I don't want this passed on to my son.
I have tried to lose weight in the past MANY times to have it fail a couple of days into it, and it was because I was reaching for a snack and though I meant to go for a yogurt, ended up grabbing a piece of chocolate cake. Every time I tried to diet, my husband and son still ate their normal way...neither of them have a weight problem. But now that the entire house has committed to eating healthier because of my husband's diabetes and it makes it a 100 times easier.
I'm also finding I like packing my lunch for work. In the past, I would go out, rush around to grab something, wolf it down and then hurry back to the office and didn't feel like I had a minute to catch my breath. Now, I have the time to just sit and read a little bit after I eat, before I 'get back to the grind' and I'm more relaxed the rest of the day. Plus I don't feel as "blah" as I did eating the double cheeseburgers.
Eventually, I'm sure the weight loss will taper off and I'll have to be even more disciplined and make even more changes, so that's why I found this place Hoping to benefit from the advice I find here.
Gamecockgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #9  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I am amazed at how easy it ended up being to cut out the fast food. I thought my children would have a hard time. I guess they did at first. Maybe once a week I'd hear "Can't we have McDonalds?" But that soon tapered off. Now, 10 months into this, I can go to McDonalds on the rare occasion. I know what we're all going to get. I get a grilled chicken sandwich with half the bun, and my boys split a chicken sandwich between them with a yogurt parfait on the side. That's a far cry from the past value meal each with large fries and full sugar pop. There are only a few drive thru's I'll visit.

I'm sorry you had to make radical changes because of diabetes, but how wonderful that your whole family is on board. It's great for the whole family to make these healthful choices and let's hope the diabetes really does end with your husband!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Welcome and congratulations on the success you've had already!!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:30 AM   #11  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

HI & WELCOME! We started at just about the same weight, I was a bit heavier than you, and I'm a little shorter @ 5'8. All the changes you've made are exactly what I've done as well ~ I can't ever follow a strict diet 'plan' or I lose my mind and stomp my feet like a spoiled child and say I"LL SHOW YOU and then eat 3000 cals in a day LOL yay that sure showed 'them'! Instead i kept a general allotment of calories per day in my head and in a journal, and 'spent' my food money wisely. It was wicked hard to kick the McD's habit of double squishy cheeseburger & fries, but I did it. Now when I go to McDs it's for a coffee, or if I have to eat, a grilled mediterranean salad (shockingly yummy btw).

so congrats on making some awesome life changes. Believe me, even if you do no more than that, this time next year you'll be amazed at how different you and your life are

Hope to read lots about your journey.
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:51 AM   #12  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

Hello and welcome!

It sounds like your healthy choices are paying off.
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote