Old 09-01-2010, 07:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Default Vitamins and nausea

Can someone suggest a multi-vitamin that won't nauseate me?

I've taken vitamins on and off (mostly off) throughout my life, but in the past couple of years I've developed a problem - about 15-45 minutes after taking the vitamin, I get seriously nauseated and very uncomfortable. I'm not sure what's causing this but it makes me not want to take my vitamin.

Currently I'm taking One a Day for women, but this has also happened with Centrum and store brands. I take the vitamin with breakfast, but it's also happened when I tried taking it with dinner.

I would be willing to try a more expensive brand, but I'd rather not pay a ridiculous price for "premium" vitamins.

I do try and eat a balanced diet, plenty of fruit and vegetables, but I'd still like to take a multi to cover my bases, especially with my weight loss. The last time I stopped taking the vitamin, I felt like I lost more hair in the shower . . . that could totally be unrelated, of course, but I figure as long as I'm not OD'ing on something, it can't hurt to take a vitamin!

Thanks!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:33 AM   #2  
miamimelting

S/C/G: 239.5/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7

I get nauseated also! Its terrible. I've found the only way to eliminate that is to eat before hand and take it with food. Or take a little bit of food and then drink a ton of water after you take the vitamin. I have never found a vitamin that doesn't make me feel sick. Even my prenatals made me sick.
miamimelting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/178.5/155

Height: 5'7.5"

I have that problem too! I also take one a day for women. I've found it doesn't happen though, if I take it with a meal (problem is for me I'm not a breakfast person so I usually take it on am empty stomach...BAD!).

I keep thinking that I need to try taking it in the evening, maybe with dinner as opposed to trying it in the morning.
Alicia87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #4  
Rising from the ashes....

Height: 5'5"

Default Children's Vitamins

You might try two chewable children's vitamins or taking a vitamin without iron and increasing your iron intake in your diet.

I would continue to take whatever vitamin you try with food though.

Good luck finding one that works for you!

Last edited by OnTargetforLife; 09-01-2010 at 09:05 AM.
OnTargetforLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #5  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Ugh, I threw up once after taking a multivitamin on an empty stomach.
Have you tried taking it at bedtime? I've heard that recommended before.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/200/130

Height: 5'7"

I take One a Day Weightloss Avdvanced. I take the pill and then eat after. I've taken it after I eat and I get a little queasy if I do that. So maybe switch the order you're taking it??? Also sometimes if I eat something not filling it still makes me wanna hurl (like fruit). Oddly enough the Quaker granola 90 calories bars keep me from getting sick but not fruit and various other foods that I eat more of....I dunno. I guess my point is you should maybe alter when you take the vitamin vs. food and also maybe what you eat with it. Good luck!
wibblewobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

If I take my vitamin in the morning, I get so nauseated it ruins the whole day. I tried to take it with dinner, but kept forgetting. So now I take it at bedtime with water just after brushing my teeth. I go to bed and if I get nauseated I don't know because I'm asleep! I also take other supplements, including niacin per doctor's request and often times THAT one will wake me up with flushing (kind of like a hot flash) but most of the time I sleep through that, too.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:29 PM   #8  

Thanks for all the advice and thoughts.

My breakfast is pretty substantial, but maybe I'll try taking it before I eat, instead of after. I've never tried that before.

OnTarget - I didn't know iron could be a problem? Is that what's making me nauseated?

I don't really want to take the vitamin at bedtime. Everything I've ever read says you should take a vitamin with food to get the most out of the fat-soluable vitamins, but I don't eat after dinner and certainly wouldn't even like eating at bedtime - I've never been a midnight snack type of person.

I'll see what happens tomorrow!
Old 09-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

seriously, look for vitamins that have a coating to them. If they don't have it then it will make you nauseous. One-a-day doesn't have the coating. It'll say if its coated or not on the bottle.
I've been taking OneSource, it has the coating and I haven't gotten sick once.
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Try taking it before breakfast, if that doesn't help then maybe you can try cutting it in half and taking half with breakfast, and the other half with dinner.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #11  
it's always something

Nausea is a common side effect of iron supplements. Other side effects can include constipation or diarrhea.

Have you had bloodwork done lately? It's possible, maybe even probable, that you don't need an iron supplement.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #12  

I tried the vitamin before breakfast this time, but unfortunately that didn't help the nausea.

I'll look for a coated vitamin, any recommended brands?

It's my multivitamin that's causing the problem, but I checked and it does have 100% RDA of iron. If it's the iron that's the issue, does anyone know if there's an iron-free multi out there?
Old 09-02-2010, 04:23 PM   #13  

"OnTarget - I didn't know iron could be a problem? Is that what's making me nauseated? "

I see that Suzanne also responded but I wanted to answer you. It has been my experience that iron can be troublesome to the stomach and GI tract for some people.

I would try a vitamin without iron and just be sure to eat plenty of iron rich foods.

Here is a list:

* Red meat
* Egg yolks
* Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards)
* Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)
* Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)
* Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)
* Turkey or chicken giblets
* Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans
* Liver
* Artichokes

And here's a tip: If you eat iron-rich foods along with foods that provide plenty of vitamin C, your body can better absorb the iron.

If dropping the iron from your vitamin helps with the nausea then you have found your culprit.

~Deb

Last edited by OnTargetforLife; 09-02-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #14  

I would recommend asking at your local health food store.

I know there are several products out there without iron. Natrol makes one I know.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #15  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

I only realized after my children were born that the "morning sickness" that miraculously started the day after I found out I was pregnant, caused day-long nausea, and lasted for the rest of the 9 months was caused by taking my pre-natal vitamin in the morning on an empty stomach. I'd suggest taking them with a full meal!!
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote