Old 08-30-2010, 02:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 222 / see tracker / 150

Height: 5'5'

Default Questions as the end comes near...

I'm getting pretty close to goal and lots of thoughts are racing through my head about it. So i'm listing out the couple items i'm struggling most with and would like some advice or feedback!

1) What goal is the right goal? I started with the goal weight of 162 (today i saw 161 on my scale!) and about a month ago, I dropped my goal to 150. So now i'm about 15 lbs from my goal on the MRC scale and I can't help but question is that really all I have left? I want a flatish stomach and it seems that still has a ways to go. I look at my body and try to count where the 15 lbs are stashed and I'm afraid that when I get to 150, i'll want to go a few more or something. I've hyped up in my head what the end will be like. I'm not buying my new wardrobe until the VERY end and I want to get to a final weight and call it done. I don't want to keep chasing after a few lbs and I desperately want to be able to eat like a normal person again (like starches at lunch . (Note, I've never been 'skinny' as an adult, so i don't have a reference to base it on)

Also, i'm 5'5" and have 31 lbs of muscle (which they say is a lot).

2) Getting loose with the rules. After being on plan for almost 7 months, i've learned a lot about what my body responds too. In each month, I have 2 great weight loss weeks and the other two are so-so. Which means, when i'm going to play a bit loose with the rules, I only do it in the two 'so-so' weeks because nothing I do in those weeks makes me loose better. And now that i'm getting closer to goal, I'm afraid about straying a little too much instead of just finishing! The restrictive eating is wearing on me. I'm tired of having to overthink my meals sooo much and planning where we go when we have to go out. I just want to be back to eating a salad for lunch and not having to stress about 'did it have enough cucumbers' or 'but i had some cheese on monday!'. Any advice for how to keep focused when you know the end is soo near? This week I didn't do so hot. I think i was testing the limits a bit and still lost, but i'm angry with myself for acting out.

3) Getting toned. I've started back to heavier workouts including the Bar Method classes in town, but working out slows my weight loss down. I want to get toned but i also want to finish this diet. Does anyone recommend waiting until the diets over and focusing on one thing at a time? or doing it together?

4) When to buy clothes. I've been saying all along that I wasn't buying new good final wardrobe stuff until the very very end, but i'm limping along on a just a couple items. I'm not sure how much my body is still going to change in the next 15 lbs. Anyone know? In my last weight/measurements, I had lost 9 lbs but 18 inches. My body changed A LOT in the last 10 lbs, should I expect that to keep up til the end? I don't want to invest in new clothes until I know they're getting tried on with the final body.

Thanks for your advice everyone! Pretty exciting journey we're all on.
GoalAug2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 177.5/142/142

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoalAug2010 View Post
I'm getting pretty close to goal and lots of thoughts are racing through my head about it. So i'm listing out the couple items i'm struggling most with and would like some advice or feedback!

1) What goal is the right goal? I started with the goal weight of 162 (today i saw 161 on my scale!) and about a month ago, I dropped my goal to 150. So now i'm about 15 lbs from my goal on the MRC scale and I can't help but question is that really all I have left? I want a flatish stomach and it seems that still has a ways to go. I look at my body and try to count where the 15 lbs are stashed and I'm afraid that when I get to 150, i'll want to go a few more or something. I've hyped up in my head what the end will be like. I'm not buying my new wardrobe until the VERY end and I want to get to a final weight and call it done. I don't want to keep chasing after a few lbs and I desperately want to be able to eat like a normal person again (like starches at lunch . (Note, I've never been 'skinny' as an adult, so i don't have a reference to base it on)

Also, i'm 5'5" and have 31 lbs of muscle (which they say is a lot).

2) Getting loose with the rules. After being on plan for almost 7 months, i've learned a lot about what my body responds too. In each month, I have 2 great weight loss weeks and the other two are so-so. Which means, when i'm going to play a bit loose with the rules, I only do it in the two 'so-so' weeks because nothing I do in those weeks makes me loose better. And now that i'm getting closer to goal, I'm afraid about straying a little too much instead of just finishing! The restrictive eating is wearing on me. I'm tired of having to overthink my meals sooo much and planning where we go when we have to go out. I just want to be back to eating a salad for lunch and not having to stress about 'did it have enough cucumbers' or 'but i had some cheese on monday!'. Any advice for how to keep focused when you know the end is soo near? This week I didn't do so hot. I think i was testing the limits a bit and still lost, but i'm angry with myself for acting out.

3) Getting toned. I've started back to heavier workouts including the Bar Method classes in town, but working out slows my weight loss down. I want to get toned but i also want to finish this diet. Does anyone recommend waiting until the diets over and focusing on one thing at a time? or doing it together?

4) When to buy clothes. I've been saying all along that I wasn't buying new good final wardrobe stuff until the very very end, but i'm limping along on a just a couple items. I'm not sure how much my body is still going to change in the next 15 lbs. Anyone know? In my last weight/measurements, I had lost 9 lbs but 18 inches. My body changed A LOT in the last 10 lbs, should I expect that to keep up til the end? I don't want to invest in new clothes until I know they're getting tried on with the final body.

Thanks for your advice everyone! Pretty exciting journey we're all on.
I keep waiting for others to respond as I am very interested in any advice/comments you receive. Maybe my response will intrigue others to put their 2 cents in.

1. I feel the 'right' goal is truly a personal decision taking into account the healthy range that the center gives you. I was told that the proper weight for me is between 130-152 pounds. I, too, have changed my goal weight from 155 down to 148 and now (finally) to 142. No real science for me, but I did take the BMI calculator into my decision making.
* Underweight = <18.5
* Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
* Overweight = 25–29.9
* Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater
At my goal weight of 142 my BMI should be right around 23.6 which is still toward the higher end of 'normal weight', but one that I would be pleased with. I honestly can't remember the last time I weighed 142 and I personally don't want to see the 150's anymore so that gives me a little bit of wiggle room. About a month ago I was super obsessed with the 'number' and wasn't at all sure I would ever get there. I have changed my perspective a bit and am concentrating more on how I feel and my body image. My body is far from perfect, but it is looking much better in a pair of jeans. I had the feeling I was chasing after a 'few more pounds' as well (well put, btw), but I also didn't want to settle for a weight at the very top of my range and decided to push through a bit more. I figured I had come this far so why not see if I could go a bit further. I didn't get the feeling that I had dreamed of when I first reached 155..... I knew that wasn't the right weight for me.

2. Knowing what your body responds to is going to be so key when you reach stabilization and maintenance. I think that is probably one of the most important lessons to learn. Maybe now you should give yourself the gift of being strict with the plan and not making any off program choices. If you choose to be spot on there will be no variables in what degrees of straying will still bring losing results. You will have the luxury of knowing that you did everything you could and simply be happy with the results. Hey, you've come this far you certainly deserve to see it through! Don't be angry with yourself.... take a deep breath and jump right back in. You can do it!!

3. Not sure what advice to give you here. For me.. I am working out, but moderately so. I will focus more on that when I reach my goal weight. The end is near for me and I don't want to take the chance of any thing slowing it down any more. (my body alone seems to take is sweet ole time!) ...that's just me, though.

4. Just last week I decided to spend $50 on new clothes for myself. That was one of the best decisions I made. Not only did I really enjoy trying on all these clothes that I never could have fit in before, but it showed me how far I had come and I knew I could finish what I started. It was truly a motivator. With all the back-to-school sales I actually got to get a few things. I easily would have spent that if hubby and I went out for dinner and drinks so I could totally justify the spending. I honestly don't care if those items are too big in a few weeks.... all of the clothes in my closet made me look 'dumpy' because they didn't fit right anymore. ...being loose just wasn't flattering. I say treat yourself to a few new items that fit you now!

I commend you for doing this well. It truly is an amazing journey!
wendinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 177.5/142/142

Height: 5' 5"

I didn't realize how lengthy I was until it posted.... oops!
wendinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:09 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

I am new here but I wanted to start off by saying that since finding this site about a week ago YOU have been such an encouragement to me and when I read your initial post yesterday I just felt like I wanted to respond to you so here it goes…
1. I think that no mater what weight we are we will always find something that we wish was different…I also don’t thing that there is an one specific weight that should be a goal for everyone. There are plenty of guidelines but everyones body is different so how could anyone say what particular weight we should all weigh we are not made from cookies cutters so how could we all shoot to be the same weight? I am 5’6” and my Doctor recommended that I should weigh about 170-180….now google that and the “ideal “ Weight for a female is way less than that. So as far as numbers I don’t believe there is one number for all. So if you feel good in your clothes but more importantly feel healthy and pleased with your success that that’s where your goal should be.
2. Its only normal to be so close to the end and get loose with the rules….I believe that this is for a couple reasons…1 being that for whatever crazy reason we are built to self sabotage second is because you are soo close you can taste it and after months of hard work you feel that you deserve a break and a “treat” just remember how far you have come and know that its because of you that you got there so treat yourself when you feel like it but know that you love yourself enough to get to where you are and love yourself enough to stay there!
3. I think this question is a matter of opinion for yourself I feel that I would wait till I got to my “goal” before heavily working out just because it can be discouraging to not see the numbers fall…however the body image issues you talked about in ? 1 could be solved but more intense work outs so weigh your pros and cons….faster weight loss or possibly the stomach you pictured in your head
4. I think buying a few key items along the way could be extra incentive. Why not reward yourself with a new outfit every so often? It will give you something to look forward to and help you feel better about the way you look!
Ultimately Weight goals and body transformations are as personal, emotional , and exhausting as the weight loss process…it is in fact a journey a journey we can ride together through but will battle with our own issues as we ride! Money doesn’t make happiness and I guess being thin doest do it either. We all have insecurities and I guess always will but take them as what they are a learning process you DID IT!!!! Own it love it live it and rejoice in it! You set out to be some one new and maybe she isn’t exactly who you thought she would be but give her time I am sure you will be more happy with her than the old you!!!!

Last edited by ntjstaprtyfce; 08-31-2010 at 11:11 PM.
ntjstaprtyfce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:29 PM   #5  

Thank you wendinnc and ntjstaprtyfce for your words of encouragement! You both are completely right and I need to stop obsessing about whether I have the right goal and just see how I feel when i reach it and decide then.

I'm happy to say that since I posted this, I've stopped the loose rule following and have focused on keeping my nose to the grindstone through the end! It's close enough not to fuss with!

This weekend I'm going to go buy a new set of workout clothes since i'll likely always be a medium in yoga pants or whatever and it won't be a wasted investment. I'm doing a new workout that is in a mirrored studio and it's been quite motivating to catch a glimpse of myself and see this new person there! I highly recommend having mirrors around so you can see your improvements!

I'm so happy to hear i've been an encouragement to you ntjstaprtyfce, that's very rewarding! I too have been encouraged by so many on this forum and though many of the ones who were regulars when I started are gone, I know they're off enjoying maintenance and the cycle continues! Thank you for saying that.

Last edited by GoalAug2010; 08-31-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:09 AM   #6  
Shawna

S/C/G: 157.5/143/125

Height: 5' 3"

I have a suggestion for clothes....GOODWILL! I recently went and spend about $25 and got about 3 outfits. Its perfect for those "transition" phases. If you have the time to really look, they have some great stuff and your supporting a good cause! They have professional clothes, jeans and workout stuff as well. If you have an Arc or Goodwill close to you, i highly suggest going there. Then, if those clothes get too big, you wont feel so bad because you pad such a low price!
sgustin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:15 AM   #7  
Time to move!

S/C/G: 197/see ticker /140

Height: 5' 2 3/4"

Default More clothes

I have been taking my "too big" clothes to a resale shop. Occasionally I find a new used item for myself. It is almost like a trade-in, only a few dollars net coming out of my purse! I also recommend Cato, Fashion Bug, Burlington Coat Factory, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and Ross if you have those stores. Prices there are very reasonable and styles are current. Nothing picks me up more than a new, slimming outfit or piece.
ladystarrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #8  

yeah, i've been taking my stuff to a consignment shop and I'm find with what I have for now, but in the end, I'm planning on buying a nice efficient new wardrobe. So looking forward to it!
Old 09-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 6'1''

After you get to your "goal" weight, maybe have your body fat checked by a professional trainer and then work on bringing that down with workouts. I am almost at goal, but still have 35% body fat (ACK!). My trainer is working a lot of core exercises with me, and if I continue to eat healthy, that should come down.

I know how you feel - what is the "magic number." I don't think there is a right answer. I have fought with myself over body image issues...at what point am I "good enough?" Part of what's helped me is to focus on other goals besides weight. A few of mine are: getting my black belt in karate, hiking one of Colorado's 14ers next summer, and hiking the Grand Canyon again with my Dad. Maybe you can begin dreaming bigger dreams than "being thin"?

It's awesome that you're thinking about all of this. So many times, we get focused on the weight, and not the convoluted thought processes that got us fat to begin with!!!
Best,
hatethesweatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #10  

You're right Debi! At some point the size is close enough and it's about what you do with it. I want to be able to keep up on hikes and not get tired quicker than everyone else. I hang out with a pretty fit group of folks, so they make for a good benchmark.

Also I find class / group exercise like boot camp, pilates, cross fit, stuff like that to be good as well cause I can see whether I can do everything, most things or some things others can do.

Good luck with your training!