General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-26-2010, 04:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

Default Dexter on Showtime=Fans?

So, on another thread I posted Dexter as my favorite TV thing to watch. A few people agreed with me, so it gave me an idea to kill some time and discuss Season 4.

WARNING: Please only continue reading if you've seen season 4. I have some questions regarding it, and would like to discuss some things that happened. Don't want to give away any spoilers....

Here goes, my question is, "With Season 4 being so great and topsy turvey, do you really think the villian (I'm talking code just in case) did what they did to Dexter at the season finale?" Like are THEY the guilty ones? Seriously? I don't think so. I'm going to disagree, but it will be interesting to find out.

What was your opinion on that?

Is anyone interested as much as I am to see what role Julia Stiles will actually play on this show for Season 5? We just haven't seen her in a while, and I think it will be a great opportunity for her.

Whose your favorite character besides Dexter? All I can say is Deb, (his sister on the show) is really starting to get on my nerves.

Anyway, share your thoughts, feedback, opinions. Possible spoilers be warned!
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 234/222.6/170

Height: 5'6

I think Mr Villian guy was responsible. It was pretty clear, I thought though I've read other theories that just seemed too far fetched. Season 4 was seriously AMAZING.

I've been re-watching all the seasons from 1 and up before Season 5 starts. Halfway through season 3 again right now, which in my opinion is the weakest season but still good.

I have the theme of the show as my ring tone and I have Dexter coasters that look like blood slides and come in a wooden box. hah
StuffedBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #3  

I felt Season 2 had the most opportunity. Lila was just SOOO crazy! But I guess she did her job good as an actress if she got under my skin that much!

I've seen those coasters. They are SO neat! Season 3 was alright, a little predictable, but I agree, still good.

The reason I disagree with the Season 4 turn out is because during the Dexter/Villian Actor interview/discussion thingy, it just seemed that each time the Villian discussed what he did, Michael C. Hall always seemed to avoid confirming it. Almost as though he knew what Season 5 would happen. Plus, rumor has it that they changed the script during the last two episodes so the cast didn't know what was going to happen until filming!

I know i'm probably wrong. But it would be sweet to see if maybe just maybe I;m not.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

I was pretty sure that the villain in season 4 was the one who did it. I know that in previews for season 5, it opens with Dexter telling the police he was responsible. I think this just means that his pursuing the villain the way he did lead the villain to doing that final act.

I love Masuko. He's completely obnoxious, but he never fails to get a laugh and an eye roll from me. I *hated* Lila, but my husband loved her. Go figure. Batista seems like a good guy despite his mess-ups in the past.

I still can't believe that Michael C. Hall filmed season 4 while undergoing treatment for cancer, and that he and Jennifer Carpenter (the chick who plays his sister) are married in real life!

Does anyone read the books?
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 234/222.6/170

Height: 5'6

I just started the books, have been reading them while doing cardio.

I also hated Lila....HATED her
StuffedBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 296/ticker/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm still kind of irritated over how the season ended. (Poor Julie Benz.... it seems to be a theme for her characters to leave like that) I'm hoping that 5 is amazing and makes up for it!
ShelBl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #7  

Great responses. Poor Julie was really getting on my nerves though. Just te way she treated Dexter it was as though she was mentally and emotionally draining him. And we all know he has NO emotions to begin with. She was just exhausting for my taste. I agree with Deb. She's next on my least favorite. Let's see what happens in season 5. MCH said in an interview that she's supposed to find out about Dexter. I can't wait! Let's hope him and her have kids soon so they can write her off the show! lol

I didn't get the Laguerta and Bautista hook up either. I think they scraped the barrel on that story line.

I think it's amazing how such a simple idea became so huge!!
Old 08-26-2010, 06:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

Dexter is by far my favorite TV show...Mad Men being (a distant) second.

I actually though the end of season four was great because it came out of no where and really shocked me... and that is pretty hard to do.

Masuko is my favorite character because the character does not have a clue of what an obnoxious pig he is which makes him twice as funny to me.

I think that Deb's stilted way of speaking and her social awkwardness is an interesting plot device, especially considering she isn't Dexter's biological sister. I think it's intentional...it makes me think that Dexer's behavior isn't all due to his "nature". That there was a bit of "nurture" (or more specifically a lack of nurture) going on when these two where being raised.

Deb's quest to learn more about her father and what she is actually going to learn about him and about Dexter is one of the best sub plots ever!

Last edited by nancymae; 08-26-2010 at 07:01 PM.
nancymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #9  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

another big fan here. i looooved season four. it was so good, so intense, Lithgow is the creepiest creep of all time. i definitely feel like he did it- but i haven't heard or seen anything about what is coming up next. exciting though!!

i absolutely hated Rita. She was whiney and annoying. Deb is second on my list- i just don't think she's a good actress at all. My husband loves her though.

I really like Bautista and Masuko- I wish they'd do more with him.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown View Post
All I gotta say is that I LOVED the finale. LOVED.

One person I couldn't stand gone, one more to go. I'm convinced the only reason Deb is on the show is because she's Dexter's real-life wife. It sure as **** isn't because of her acting ability. She's the least convincing person you could EVER put in a cop role. Ugh.

I also want to know wtf they were thinking when they randomly put Batista and LaGuerta together. It came out of the blue and was awfully awkward,er, IS awfully awkward.

Heh, the way I ***** about this show, you'd wonder if there's anything I DO like about it.
Ha! I would agree with Deb being on the show b/c she's his wife, but he's said in interviews that they met doing the show. I don't dig Deb overall, but she's been a good tool to keep him focused on hiding his Dark Passenger and following Harry's Code.

I love Michael C. Hall. LOVE him.

I hadn't heard that Deb finds out this season. I can't wait to see that!
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:46 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

I don't know if Deb finds out! I just think that the search and how it's kept right on the edge of discovery is so interesting. I love TV that makes you think and I love that so many sub plots are "in the air" at once!

Last edited by nancymae; 08-27-2010 at 01:47 AM.
nancymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #12  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Another big fan. Have loved the show from the beginning.

I heard that Deb starts to get suspicious of Dex.

I was gobsmacked with the ending. Did not expect that.

Love MCH from his Six Feet Under days.
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #13  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I LOVED Lila. I mean, I'm glad she met her end, but I thought she was a fabulous guest role (and sooooo hawt). I'm also in the anti-Rita camp, but I'm starting to feel like she was a necessary evil. We'll see how this plays out.

And I. Can't. Stand. Deb.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #14  

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bac0s View Post
I still can't believe that Michael C. Hall filmed season 4 while undergoing treatment for cancer, and that he and Jennifer Carpenter (the chick who plays his sister) are married in real life!
I did not know that! Kind of makes me want to rewatch them and watch their interactions, see if it feels more genuine knowing that really DO love each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffedBunny View Post
I just started the books, have been reading them while doing cardio.
How are they? I am interested in picking them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown View Post
I also want to know wtf they were thinking when they randomly put Batista and LaGuerta together. It came out of the blue and was awfully awkward,er, IS awfully awkward.
I know right? What bugs me most is how out of the blue it came. They introduced that thread even before you know he was broken up with other lady cop girlfriend person. I wish they had stayed together. Would have allowed for another interesting character to develop, but instead they just stuck Angel and LaGuerta together. Meh. It seemed rushed. Hm, I wonder if maybe the other gf actress had issues and couldn't be on the show anymore? maybe that was why they pushed her out so suddenly? Anyone know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziep View Post
Lithgow is the creepiest creep of all time.
It took me like half the season to get over looking at him as that doofy guy on 3rd Rock. I could NOT see him as the creep he was supposed to be, but once I stopped imagining him in his other role he totally fit the creepy serial killer profile!!

I'm also with the "glad Rita's gone" folks... She was so clingy and needy and just UGH. I mean, you can't get the baby to take a nap so you call your husband in the middle of the day? Seriously?? I liked her in the first season but her character went quickly downhill for me.

I go back and forth on Deb... Sometimes I like her storylines, sometimes I think they are trite and obnoxious. I don't mind her so much I guess, but I wish she had some storylines that were independent of her relationships with men. Everything about her is either her and Dexter, her and her dad, or her and her string of boyfriends. Let's have a strong female character who is continually compromised by her weakness for men! Great idea!

I guess my only concern for season 5 is that now with Rita gone, Dexter will have 3 kids of his own. He had trouble maintaining the serial killer life when he had help with the kids, and now she's gone. And surely they can't kill off the kids... and Paul's gone and can't come back to take them... So... I don't know, it almost feels like they're going to have trouble writing Dexter's life believably. What's he going to do, hire a babysitter every time he needs to stalk someone and satiate the dark passenger? That's unrealistic. And he surely can't leave them alone at night. My guess is the show is going to show him evolving away from the need to kill, show him getting over his past trauma and becoming a kind of normal person. Which makes me sad, because I like how messed up he is!

Ok, enough of that

Last edited by abluvion; 08-27-2010 at 10:55 AM.
abluvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:59 AM   #15  

Good call. I'm guessing the kids will be written off very quickly. Rumor has it that they will go stay with Rita's crazy mother. When I heard Julia Stiles coming on the show, I really thought maybe she'd play the new love interest, or at least a possible "once Dexter heals" then maybe they could pursue their relationship, but she's apparantly going to be with the FBI or some other government worker. I had originally thought she'd be an au pair for the kids or something. Who knows, all these clues they keep leaving are such teases! I finally stopped watching the previews and interviews b/c I was getting to analytical.

We should totally start a petition to get rid of Deb. Haha, she is only as smart, and strong as she is b/c she goes to Dexter for help all the time! He should have her job!

I'm curious to know what effect Quinn will have in pointing the finger at Dexter. Time will tell.

Remember Doakes? MAN I COULDN'T STAND HIM! He was SUCH A JERK!