Old 08-24-2010, 08:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 249/ticker/142

Unhappy no more sweets please

I have not been doing very well at all on my weight lose journey. I seem to do ok for a few days and then have a craving for something sweet and off the wagon I fall. I have no idea what is wrong with me. I used to not be like this. I don't ever remember sweets having this much control over my life. I can't believe I let it get like this. I know I can lose the weight I want to lose. I have done it before, I felt so good. It seemed easier then. I was in a completely different mind set. I want to regain my will power.

Anyway, here is my questions.... How do you satisfy your sweet tooth or stop the cravings for sweets?

I am so frustrated!
JessiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 330/325/170

I usually buy a bag of snack-size chocolates (like Snickers), but I keep them in my freezer, and when I want something sweet, I'll eat one. It takes longer to eat when they're frozen, since you have to suck on them for a long time, so by the time I'm finished, the craving has passed.
StarvingPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:04 AM   #3  
Vegging out

S/C/G: 268/ticker/148

Height: 5'6"

I can't keep a bag of chocolate around, frozen or not. I would eat the whole thing, it just might take me longer! I also have no willpower whatsoever. I just haven't been keeping the stuff around, so then I can't go off the wagon. It gets frustrating, but I guess it's better than bingeing. I had some success with fudgesicles, there are some that are pretty low cal, and somehow, I have never downed a box of those in a day. I also like the skinny cow ice cream sandwiches, but again I get into the issue of eating more than what I'm supposed to. I hope you find something that is good for you!
dudesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:13 AM   #4  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Honestly, the easiest thing to do is to put them on your off-limits list. That's the EASIEST. Once you stop eating them you will stop craving them, though that's hard to believe right now. I did it with pop. Never again. And now nearly 10 months later I don't miss it and I never crave it.

If you want another answer, I satisfy sweets with chocolate chips. I count out 25 of them and I eat them slowly. Those are the only sweets I routinely indulge in. But I'm ok with that and it works for me. I still say the easiest thing to do is to just cut them out.

Last edited by Eliana; 08-24-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

Yep, I'm another who can't have them around. If I have them, I have them in public when I'm out so quantities can be observed.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:49 AM   #6  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I am addicted to sugar so I just can't handle it. It took about 2 weeks totally off of sugar to stop the cravings. I recommend going cold turkey. It will be rough for a few days but you will be surprised when the cravings go away and you are in control!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 332/see ticker/132

Height: 5' 3.5"

I am on the same boat as zero-tolerance sugar policy folk. I am 100% convinced that I had (have) a physical sugar addiction. I quit eating sugar about 90% in 2009 and I ended up replacing it with bread while gaining 30 pounds - my body just CRAVED the simple sugars. This year, I have not had 1 drop of any sort of sugar or simple carbs, and I feel so much better. The only sugars I get are those found in whole fruit and the like. All the physical cravings for sugary treats are now 100% gone.

I eat extremely healthy, 150+ ounces of liquid a day, no processed foods if I can help it yadda yadda, but I still find I need some sweet stuff on my tongue - but I don't get the shakes and the burning desire for the sugar reaction in my body anymore. I satisfy these cravings with my one remaining vice - diet carbonated fruit soda waters and with using stevia to sweeten up my oatmeal, tea, etc.

I am totally convinced that sugar is not meant to be in our regular diets the way that it is. I have listened to some podcasts by doctors and researchers and read a few books since starting on my journey regarding sugar. I am a huge cheerleader for knocking sugar completely out of the diet. I am convinced that dropping sugar is what is allowing me to drop this weight in a healthy way.
Pacifica Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #8  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

For me I do allow myself some sweets now and again. I just don't usually keep much in the house because I would eat it all.
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #9  
On A Mission

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140

Height: 5ft 3in

I can't keep my trigger foods & treats in the house either. I do eat them occasionally, but even that is having to be cut back on. I'm visiting the places that were on my 'allowed to cheat here' list nearly three times as often as before now. {ie my parents house- since my mother passed I've been over there 3x a week instead of 1x every week or two}
mkat321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 249/ticker/142

Thanks Ladies! I just have to realize I am stronger than this. I can do this. I'll get my will power back.
JessiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 266/216/166

Height: 5' 1"

Every night I get one sweet snack if I've been on plan all day. It's generally a skinny cow ice cream sandwich but sometimes I'd have pudding or jell-o or applesauce, just something sweet to end the day so I got my sweet fix. I admire people who can go completely without, but I need some sort of dessert to end my day.

Last edited by bunnythesAINT; 08-24-2010 at 01:32 PM.
bunnythesAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:38 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

Do you have a neighbor nearby that can keep sweets for you? That way in order to have a treat you will have to call them and walk over to get it. A friend had me keep sweets for her once. She rarely called to come get anything because 1. it was a hassle, and 2. she was embarrassed to ask
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:53 PM   #13  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I'm also one who had to cut them out completely. I finally admitted to myself that they were an addiction and just like a alcoholic I need to cut them out completely. I practiced a bit ahead of time removing the sugar from my coffee and I also went without fruit for a few days.

Now if I really need something I'll eat a bowl of plain yogurt with fresh berries in them. I don't even allow myself to eat artificial sweeteners because for me that's a slippery slope.

I took me a LONG time to get to this point. I really had to recognize my problem on my own and then I started googling going sugar-free and it gave me the confidence to pull it off. I also was exercising long before I made this commitment but was getting frustrated with the lack of visible results, although, once I stopped completely I felt so much better and I've been able to visibly see the differences now.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:38 PM   #14  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I had to cut them out totally as well. If I have ONE I am SCREWED (when it comes to candycrack like that)
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #15  
Highest Known Weight: 305

S/C/G: 290.5/Tic/199

Height: 5'7"

I can't keep it in the house. I have tried, and I just end up eating at least half of the bag. I can't eat much fruit either, it seems to have a similar effect. I try to limit eating fruit (aside from berries) to my night time snack. I figure while I am asleep my blood sugar may rise, but by the time I wake up it will be normal, and I won't have any cravings. So far it seems to be working.
kallismom is offline   Reply With Quote