South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #1  

Default So frustrated

Hello everyone,
I have done the SBD many many times before. I did it after both of my pregnancies and lost 30lbs each time. So I know it works.
However, I have gained some of the weight back and started the diet on Monday. I have to say I did it to a "t" no cheats, no slip ups, worked out every day for about 45min. Today is Saturday and although I said I would not weigh myself I did. And guess what? I'm up three pounds. I am so upset, I really thought I would have lost something, even if it stayed the same I would have been ok, but to go up? I was so upset I literally came downstairs and ate everything I could find. I don't understand, I need to lose weight and keep myself motivated but I tried so hard and if the numbers go up I loose it! HELP!!!!!
This has been a super difficult year for me, we moved to a new state, no friends, not working nothing. I am home all day with my two young kids and I eat, my husband works all day.
Sorry for my sob story but I really need some motivation.
usam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 221/211/170

Height: 5'5"

Oh, darlin, you sound like you're in a world of hurt right now. Maybe you need to be a little more kind to yourself in some ways. Maybe it would help you to get on that scale every day so you don't have a great big breakdown kind of moment once a week. It sounds to me like you're being hampered by stress (and who would not be in that situation???) and you need to give yourself a break.

That being said, a break is not eating everything in the kitchen (not judging... I've done it before myself ) but rather making the plan easier and more enjoyable for you to follow so it's a life-changer instead of a diet. If that makes sense. Maybe get the kids outside to play, to walk with you if you can, to run in the park or walk the track. Spend a little time going through recipes so you make yourself some good tasty dishes instead of feeling deprived on your diet.

I know it's hard and who knows where that three pounds came from (could it be PMS bloating, perhaps?) but you sound like you need to approach the diet this time from a different direction to help you manage your stress. Really best of luck to you at it. Keep your chin up.
Bekidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 326/314/170

Height: 5"8

just don't give up. its hard to be at home and not wanna eat. i go through that when im off. if im working and keeping my mind busy i don't want to eat that much. i guess im one of those people that eat because theres nothing better to do. u said you were exercising every day, maybe you're building more muscle and losing fat. look at how your clothes are fitting and let that be a factor in your success.
jordan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #4  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

It could be fluid retention if you ate high in sodium foods. Maybe post your menus here for advice. I like going by waist measurements weekly or how my clothes fit. Has a lot more meaning for me than what the finicky scale says. Also if you're at all constipated (as I was when first starting SB), it can account for a gain. Just try to get right back on plan. I only feel worse after a binge. Believe me, we've all done it.

Last edited by murphmitch; 08-21-2010 at 01:13 PM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I feel bad for you, Usam, but you shouldn't give up. I lost 11 lbs the first time I did Phase 1, but whenever I would do Phase 1 over again, I tend to lose either very little or no weight at all. But, I always see a big difference in how my clothes fit. Have you noticed that at all?

A person's weight can fluctuate so much from day to day, and there are so many factors to consider. At least you were doing your body a lot of good by eating healthy, wholesome foods, and you should feel good about that.

If I were you, I'd start over again with another clean Phase 1, then gradually transition into Phase 2. You will eventually see a nice loss, and you'll be feeling better and looking better, too. Consider the alternative.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #6  
honeysox

S/C/G: 216/207/150

Height: 5'4"

Oh, usam, I know how that feels. I think of it as my body betraying me, so I get mad at "her" and prove that I'm the boss, I CAN make her lose weight, I just have to be more stubborn than her.

Last year I struggled like crazy to s-l-o-w-l-y pull off 17 lbs. Then my DH and I went on a short trip: 5 days. I watched what I ate while I was gone--no french fries, etc--but when I got back, I had gained 8 POUNDS. In 5 days. Almost half of what it took me four months to lose. It was my body mocking me.

Just stick with it. Also--sign on here every morning on the daily thread! It'll help keep you motivated and on track. Please think about it!

~~Sally
honeysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:43 PM   #7  
Stronger then ever

S/C/G: 160/125

Height: 5'4

Keep going your only human and we all have bad days and then really really bad days. Trust in your self and i am at home just like you and yes it is hard but you will be okay..you can do it again and remeber it works just stay motivated good luck to you and take care.
MoEstrada23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:20 AM   #8  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

I have heard exercise can cause gains too, especially if you aren't used to exercising. The muscles hold fluid in them to repair...at least that's what I have heard.
Also, have you tried counting your calories along with it? I have noticed after counting calories how easy it is to eat not enough especially on Phase 1!
I hate the scale though. I have decided to try just weighing in on the 1st of every month, because I would so frustrated and discouraged by the scale. Now I actually find myself wondering and anticipating what number will be on there on the 1st...and I am more focused on making these habits instead of focusing on the number....
Good luck!
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #9  

Thanks to all for your motivation. Ok, so I am starting phase 1 today. It looks like I am pms'ing so perhaps thats why I weigh more. I really want to do this and I know I can.
So today is day one of phase one and I will be calorie counting too.
Did you guys work out during phase 1? I did last week so I plan on it this week however sometimes I get a sugar attack and shake like crazy.

Anyway, today is a new day and I can do this!
usam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #10  
Celiac Diva

S/C/G: 187/185/145

Height: 5'7"

Yes you can do this!
LastingOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 226/SeeTicker/170

Height: 5'8"

Just keep your chin up! Since you are PMS'ing, that's probably a lot of the weight you gained. I've been known to fluctuate as much as five pounds during the week before and week of my period...which is why I tend to avoid the scale during that time.

You said you are stressed to. No matter what you do, stress makes you gain weight. It messes with all of your hormones and makes you keep weight on, plus making you crave carbs (at least it does for me). Maybe try some yoga to help you relax. Don't worry...things will get better
museumchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #12  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Ok, everyone is tired of me saying this for the last couple of years.
I posted this video a couple of weeks ago..."KILL YOUR SCALE"

Go by how you feel, the energy you have, your happy outlook and looser clothing.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 221/211/170

Height: 5'5"

I like my daily exercise but it does take some energy to maintain, so be sure you're eating ENOUGH for all that. Speaking of, I'd better get to mine today or it won't happen at all!

So glad you're feeling more positive!
Bekidawn is offline   Reply With Quote