Old 08-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #1  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Instant gratification

I think I may finally be becoming a grown up! And high time, I suppose, considering I'm nearly 40 years old and have a 9 year old daughter of my own.

I swear I've lived most of my life with this feeling that I want what I want and I want it NOW! I don't know where that came from, why I'm so much that way, but I think it has for SURE contributed to my weight.

In the past, I've thought of weight loss as something that takes SO long, and I saw it as an all or nothing thing -- either I'm fat or I'm thin. And even though the 'thin' would be a huge payoff, it sure was quicker to grab a pizza to feel 'satisfied'. Of course that feeling wouldn't last long and I've have to go out and get the next pizza, but it sure was instant! I need to feel good right NOW, thin would probably feel better, but pizza can happen NOW.

Something clicked for me, and I am seeing the errors in all my thinking. For one thing, I've learned that at 350 lbs, even 31 lbs lost is a huge payoff in itself. I can't WAIT to lose 10 more! Goal weight notwithstanding, how great will another 10 pound loss feel!!! Surprisingly (to me), this whole concept of delayed gratification is carrying over to other aspects of my life, too. I want new floors. I could take out a loan or put them on credit, but now I'm saving for them, have a goal in mind, and will feel SO good when they are being layed and are paid for free and clear.

Earning things, working for them, and then basking in the success once the goals are achieved. That's what I want now, and it's happening, all around!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 266.2/See ticker/133.0

Height: 5'5

Wow, it's interesting you should say this! I've been meditating on the same idea lately!
DaughterOfVenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #3  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I love to hear you say this Every little bit that comes off is to be celebrated. Don't WAIT until you hit your goal weight... celebrate NOW NOW NOW! Celebrate every single little pound of fat that you shed
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #4  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

awesome post, the EXACT same thing happened to me!! I'd lose a bit of weight, but the spoiled little brat in me wanted it NOW and it wasn't coming off right NOW so i stopped! so there! LOL Once I beat that little snot into submission, things really started to change! Good for you !!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #5  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

Great mind set!!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:11 PM   #6  
Getting To Goal!

Earning things, working for them, and then basking in the success once the goals are achieved. That's what I want now ...

Amen! I feel the same way, Shannon. You're doing GREAT!

Stephanie
WriterBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #7  
Highest Known Weight: 305

S/C/G: 290.5/Tic/199

Height: 5'7"

That's an awesome realization, so happy for ya!
kallismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:44 PM   #8  

Thanks for posting this thread. Instant gratification is so tempting but having patience and taking small steps toward the end goal is so important. I never thought about it so much in depth until reading your thread. Thanks!
bonnie2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:07 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I had had a very similar realization.

Thank you for articulating it so well and sharing it with us.

I'm incredibly excited for you, because having realized this, I think you are SO headed in the right direction - and that there's no stopping you!!!

I look forward to hearing of your continued progress and success.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:26 AM   #10  
Keepin' on...

Thank you all for your support, I do appreciate it so much!

You know, this is the first time I have EVER tried to make a weight loss attempt without all that "why would this time be any different than the million times I've tried before"? For me, I'm discovering that weight loss doesn't really happen in a vaccuum. Every other aspect of my thinking and my life is changing. Not sure if the mindset or the losing lbs started first, but it's all coming together. At this point I can truly look inside my heart and FEEL that it is just a matter of time before I am on top of my game in every way. I don't feel the slightest inclination to stray off course, I'm already living like the person I want to be! Guess I was ready this time!
Old 08-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonmb View Post
Thank you all for your support, I do appreciate it so much!

You know, this is the first time I have EVER tried to make a weight loss attempt without all that "why would this time be any different than the million times I've tried before"? For me, I'm discovering that weight loss doesn't really happen in a vaccuum. Every other aspect of my thinking and my life is changing. Not sure if the mindset or the losing lbs started first, but it's all coming together. At this point I can truly look inside my heart and FEEL that it is just a matter of time before I am on top of my game in every way. I don't feel the slightest inclination to stray off course, I'm already living like the person I want to be! Guess I was ready this time!
I experienced the same. exact. thing.

I KNEW this time was different. And it was. It was. I guess I was ready - and willing; or could it be that I was ready and THEREFORE I was willing???

Great things are happening for you. Adhering to a healthy lifestyle? Hardship? Burden? Impossible? I think NOT!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:57 AM   #12  
Keepin' on...

Robin, I want to take a sec to say thank you. Yes, I THINK and FEEL that big change is possible. But THANK YOU to you and many others here for sticking around to show us that it IS possible. The stats are miserably depressing, but here you are, flesh and blood PROOF that a person can go the distance. Really, REALLY cool.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:22 AM   #13  
Knowing I'm worth it!

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Great post! I think this is what I really need to focus on as well since I'm an all or nothing kind of girl and just because I've decided to diet doesn't mean I get to be thin the next day.
Teresa66 is offline   Reply With Quote