Old 08-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #1  
tab

Default How many egg whites can I eat a day? Chocolate Help too!!!

Hello....
I just started. Well, I started 2 days ago. I started using EAS - (I had to order IP from online- so I just got my food)... 1st, can I eat egg whites? And how many can I eat a day. 2nd.... I love chocolate... m&m's, etc... I was doing good the last 2 days.. My 3rd day, and I am craving chocolate!!! (it doesnt help that its my fun time of the month & when I need chocolate candy ) Anyway, I was dreaming about the chocolate pudding...when UPS came to my door to drop off my food. YES!!!! But when I tried it....well, I didnt like it. So, instead of going for the real chocolate, I made some egg whites... (the only thing I thought of). So I had 3 egg whites. But I also had 3 egg whites for breakfast (with red & green peppers)... Is that ok? Too much eggs for one day??
tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

One large egg white has 17 calories. I'm not sure what that means for Ideal Protein diet, but in calorie counter terms that means you can eat 100 in a day and still have it only be 1700 calories. Quite an amazing food.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tab View Post
Hello....
I just started. Well, I started 2 days ago. I started using EAS - (I had to order IP from online- so I just got my food)... 1st, can I eat egg whites? And how many can I eat a day. 2nd.... I love chocolate... m&m's, etc... I was doing good the last 2 days.. My 3rd day, and I am craving chocolate!!! (it doesnt help that its my fun time of the month & when I need chocolate candy ) Anyway, I was dreaming about the chocolate pudding...when UPS came to my door to drop off my food. YES!!!! But when I tried it....well, I didnt like it. So, instead of going for the real chocolate, I made some egg whites... (the only thing I thought of). So I had 3 egg whites. But I also had 3 egg whites for breakfast (with red & green peppers)... Is that ok? Too much eggs for one day??
IP packets contain anywhere from 15-20 grams of protein. An egg white contains about 3.6 grams of protein. So for each meal you could have about 5 egg whites, which would equal 18 grams of protein. You don't have to worry about getting too many egg whites--yolks maybe because of the cholesterol--but not the whites.

If you're craving chocolate, it could be that you need more magnesium in your diet. Make sure you're taking your 4 calcium/magnesium capsules every day and maybe take some extra magnesium. It also helps with constipation.

Last edited by BevS; 08-19-2010 at 05:33 PM.
BevS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 349/278.2/135

Default Eggs, Protein & Cholesterol

Hi All,
On the subject of eggs--I rush to the defense of the yolk. Do consider eating the whole egg. I know this is a low fat diet, but I think sometimes it's better to eat some whole, real foods than the prepared packaged stuff, and they do say that you can have two eggs as an alternate at breakfast.

Yes, they contain some fat, and yes they contain cholesterol, ... BUT...

The cholesterol is the good kind, which helps you to combat the bad kind. Also, it has never been proven that eating eggs causes cholesterol build-up (unlike eating trans fats which does cause artery clogging plaque). This idea about eggs being bad is an assumption extrapolated from a study in the 1950s(?), and now that we know about good and bad cholesterol has been totally debunked.

Don't forget that the yolk is also full of protein in an ideal form that is easy for your body to assimilate. Eggs are a powerhouse of nutrition--and all the bonus is in the yolk, especially if you eat free-range eggs--happy chickens = healthy eggs!

Just my 2 cents,
Jackie
Jacqueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline View Post
Hi All,
On the subject of eggs--I rush to the defense of the yolk. Do consider eating the whole egg. I know this is a low fat diet, but I think sometimes it's better to eat some whole, real foods than the prepared packaged stuff, and they do say that you can have two eggs as an alternate at breakfast.

Yes, they contain some fat, and yes they contain cholesterol, ... BUT...

The cholesterol is the good kind, which helps you to combat the bad kind. Also, it has never been proven that eating eggs causes cholesterol build-up (unlike eating trans fats which does cause artery clogging plaque). This idea about eggs being bad is an assumption extrapolated from a study in the 1950s(?), and now that we know about good and bad cholesterol has been totally debunked.

Don't forget that the yolk is also full of protein in an ideal form that is easy for your body to assimilate. Eggs are a powerhouse of nutrition--and all the bonus is in the yolk, especially if you eat free-range eggs--happy chickens = healthy eggs!

Just my 2 cents,
Jackie
I agree that yolks are good for you and usually eat 2 per day, but I'm not sure about eating more than that. My girlfriend's bad cholesterol has increased just recently and that was the major change in her diet--she owns chickens and started eating more eggs than usual.
BevS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #6  
Dave - The Speedo King

After reading this thread, I couldn't resist posting this bit from Lewis Black. Enjoy!

"Everybody knows why the weather in this country is out of control. It's because we lost the Ozone layer. Well, if we lost the ozone layer, why don't we put it on milk cartons and try to find it?

It's absolutely ridiculous that we live without an ozone layer. We're the most technologically advanced country on the planet. We've got men, we've got rockets, we've got saran wrap. Fix it!

And the only thing we've come up with to deal with the fact that we have no ozone layer, is sunblock. And I don't trust that stuff at all!

Have you ever read the ingredients in sunblock? I've never seen those words anywhere. We don't even know what this stuff is and we slap it on our face. And I guarantee in 10 years you're going to go to the doctor and he's going to look at your chart and go 'look at your cholesterol...it's out of control.' And you'll go 'but doc, I've been eating all the right things.' And he'll say, 'were you using sunblock regularly?' And you'll go 'of course.' And he'll go 'that's your problem.' You could've eaten all the sausage you wanted.'

Why do we trust sunblock? The people who told us about sunblock are the same people that when I was a kid said eggs were good. And then they said eggs were bad. And then they said they were good...then said they were bad...then, they actually said that the yellows were bad...the whites were....MAKE UP YOUR MIND. It's breakfast! We gotta eat!

I'll tell you what I like to use. What I find really works. Crisco. There's no Crisco 1, Crisco 9, Crisco 75. No, it's just Crisco. You never get burnt with Crisco. Why? Because when you start to sizzle, you move your a**!"

Last edited by salesgod; 08-20-2010 at 11:31 AM.
salesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #7  
tab

I want to say thanks everyone. I did mess up, I had my chocolate, and then felt bad and ate more..... I am going to start again, Im leaving on a trip to Costa Rica, scared Im going to mess up there too.... Im going to try and plan my food better. It is so hard there, everyone wants to feed you. and they take it wrong if you dont eat their food. They are shocked that I drink water to them, (kids are drink soda at school). But I will do my best!!
Again, thanks to everyone!! very Helpful!!!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #8  

Default Eggs & nonsense :)

Tab--please cut yourself a little slack. It's not easy to go on such a restrictive plan. The plan and the foods take a bit of getting used to. It's week three for me and I'm finding that the packaged stuff is tasting better now than it did at first. You may find this too, as more time goes by.

A few others have mentioned here and there in the threads what a difference it makes to your hunger level if you eat lots of lettuce and all your veggies, and drink all 8 cups of water--and boy are they right! Then the IP shakes, puddings, snacks, etc can go a lot farther to satisfying not just your hunger but also your cravings for sweets, 'cause you're not inhaling them just because you're starving. At least, this is what I have found to be true.

And as my coach reminded me this morning over the phone, "If you are really hungry, eat another packet" rather than something that will take you way off program. And if you prefer the EAS chocolate shake, stick with that. There is a lot of discussion about it on the Alternative Foods thread, and the consensus seems to be that it is excellent quality, a good IP match, and yummy! Also, re chocolate cravings for that TOM, you might try the chocolate coated soy puffs. I had some last weekend and they were excellent.

On the emotion front, remember this is YOUR journey, You are in charge and this is your choice for you. The diet is simply the vehicle you have chosen to help you get to a healthier, happier place with your body. Some people find that journaling about their feelings really helps to derail an emotional eating spree before it starts, this might be something that will work for you and help you while you're on your trip.

So now, rather than focusing on your expectation that you are "going to mess up there too", try to focus as much as possible on the good stuff--on your resolve to lose the extra weight, on how far you've come already, on how much you'll change and become ever more yourself as you lose the weight, and on all the great stuff about being in Costa Rica and the people you'll be seeing. It is really true that the more you focus on the positives, the less the negative stuff will get you down.

Bev--you make an interesting point with that story of your friend. I guess we just all have to follow our own compass on this one.

Sales God--thanks for the laugh Very funny--but Lewis Black is clearly not interested in natural foods, otherwise he would get back to basics and choose butter for his basting rather than Crisco in order to avoid those trans fats!

Jackie
Old 08-29-2010, 06:03 PM   #9  
tab

WOW JACKIE!!!!! thanks a lot! I just got back from Costa Rica & will be starting tomorrow!!
Old 08-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #10  

You're welcome, Tab. You'll do great, you'll see!

And replying to you was really helpful to me too. I've been thinking about what I said on and off since I replied to you above, and was reminded about something I saw on TV last winter. Did you watch "The Biggest Loser" last season? About halfway through they got back two contestants who had been eliminated earlier, one of them a young woman who went home really early. During a workout she was crying and giving up and Gillian was haranguing her a bit, but she (Gillian) said something quite important: She asked the contestant, "Why are you acting like a victim? You fought to be here. This is a great opportunity to change your life."

This idea has been coming back to me lately, especially in regard to slugging down all the water and eating all those veggies. I really, really want to change my life! And IP is the path I've chosen to help me make that happen. So, when I feel myself drifting, or feeling sorry for myself facing another bowl of salad or another glass of water, I need to remember and remind myself that this is the path to the life I want.

It's challenging, but it's worthwhile. All it means is that I don't eat some things for a year, and I can do that. I can stay on plan and create recipes and even make it fun and delicious. And I remind myself of how tasty I find most of the IP products to be, and how lucky I am to have learned about this plan and to have found this chat group. So, now I need to greet each glass of water with a "Yippee, another glass of water!", and think about all the benefits I'm getting. And when I remember to do that, it tastes fresher and feels great going down. It's a mindset and a bit of a head game, but making this attitude shift is making a difference in how I feel and I know it will make doing this program and meeting my goals possible.

Jackie
Old 08-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #11  
Dreaming of the beach...

S/C/G: 224/207/130

Height: 5' 3.5"

Jackie,

What a great attitude (& great name )!! This is just what I needed to read this morning! I'm getting ready for week 3 weigh in & am trying not to lose focus. I look at feel much better already so I just need to make sure I remember how far I've come in such a short time!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and support with this board!

~Jacque

Quote:

And replying to you was really helpful to me too. I've been thinking about what I said on and off since I replied to you above, and was reminded about something I saw on TV last winter. Did you watch "The Biggest Loser" last season? About halfway through they got back two contestants who had been eliminated earlier, one of them a young woman who went home really early. During a workout she was crying and giving up and Gillian was haranguing her a bit, but she (Gillian) said something quite important: She asked the contestant, "Why are you acting like a victim? You fought to be here. This is a great opportunity to change your life."

This idea has been coming back to me lately, especially in regard to slugging down all the water and eating all those veggies. I really, really want to change my life! And IP is the path I've chosen to help me make that happen. So, when I feel myself drifting, or feeling sorry for myself facing another bowl of salad or another glass of water, I need to remember and remind myself that this is the path to the life I want.

It's challenging, but it's worthwhile. All it means is that I don't eat some things for a year, and I can do that. I can stay on plan and create recipes and even make it fun and delicious. And I remind myself of how tasty I find most of the IP products to be, and how lucky I am to have learned about this plan and to have found this chat group. So, now I need to greet each glass of water with a "Yippee, another glass of water!", and think about all the benefits I'm getting. And when I remember to do that, it tastes fresher and feels great going down. It's a mindset and a bit of a head game, but making this attitude shift is making a difference in how I feel and I know it will make doing this program and meeting my goals possible.

Jackie
advocatemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #12  

Hi Jacque,
You're welcome. I'm glad my post was useful to you, too. I blather on a bit sometimes, but it does help me to clarify my thoughts. And right back atcha on the name!
Jackie
Old 08-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 237/113/140 ... healthy BMI

Height: 5.3

Quote:

... Did you watch "The Biggest Loser" last season? About halfway through they got back two contestants who had been eliminated earlier, one of them a young woman who went home really early. During a workout she was crying and giving up and Gillian was haranguing her a bit, but she (Gillian) said something quite important: She asked the contestant, "Why are you acting like a victim? You fought to be here. This is a great opportunity to change your life."

Jackie
Great post Jackie! You're going to do fantastic on this plan with your attitude!
makeitmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:32 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 210/210/180

Quote:

Jackie
Jackie-
It is interesting that you brought up the Biggest Loser show. I just finished reading Julie Hadden's book 'Fat Chance'. It was very encouraging and helped me to see why I do some things the way I do and how much it takes to lose the weight and be determined to stay there!
Love your post
thanks
wen
wuc1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:36 PM   #15  
tab

Thanks Jackie!!!! reading your post makes me feel so much better. I am so happy that I found this chat. I really dont get on the computer much to chat, email, etc. i was just looking for a place by me that sells ideal protein and I found this chat. The best thing that could have happen to me. Thanks