Old 08-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Default Is there any sense "starting over" in the middle of the afternoon?

If there's a point you hit where you're just disgusted and miserable being trapped in a "fat suit", I hit it just a few minutes ago.

I HATE trying to live at this size, because it's just EXISTING, not really LIVING.

I'm sure I've already eaten WAY over any calorie range I could have today, so is there any sense "starting over" right now, striking while the iron is hot?

I usually start over the next day, but that leaves too much of this day left to eat even more before starting.

It's probably pretty silly to head over to Spark People and start inputting what I eat for the rest of the day--but then again, maybe it's not...
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Well, the way I see it, you can either decide to "start over" RIGHT THIS SECOND, saving yourself the calories you'd eat by remaining out of control today, or you can decide to continue being out of control and start tomorrow.

Given that the difference can be hundreds of calories, I think starting over now is a really good idea! No time like the present!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 235/172.6/145

Height: 5'6

I think starting over now would be a great idea! I can't count the number of times I've said, "I'll start tomorrow", and one thing or another happened that kept me from starting. So if you start now, tomorrow when you wake up, you can feel good knowing you've already started being a healthier person.

Do whatever will give you the best start!
AlyssaMcN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #4  
Determined Diva

S/C/G: 321/295/170

Height: 6'2"

I started in the middle of a day, too. Just start. If you're ready, you're ready. It's not like there's a penalty for starting mid-day or anything. We're talking about a change of behavior for the better and a new attitude about your health, which is a big deal!! You GO!! Make the most healthy choices you can for the rest of the day. Log them. And then just keep making the most healthy choices.
LiliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:07 PM   #5  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Well, the way I see it, you can either decide to "start over" RIGHT THIS SECOND, saving yourself the calories you'd eat by remaining out of control today, or you can decide to continue being out of control and start tomorrow.

Given that the difference can be hundreds of calories, I think starting over now is a really good idea! No time like the present!
I agree.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:07 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Or, to put it another way, is there really ANY reason not to start right now? I mean, what's the negative consequence of starting to make good choices immediately? There are clearly negative consequences to continuing to make poor choices, including lots of extra calories consumed...but what's the consequence the other way?
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #7  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Start RIGHT THIS SECOND. I could easily eat another 5000 calories from the middle of the day on... ESPECIALLY if I was trying to eat all the "bad" foods that I knew I wouldn't allow myself to have anymore... try to get them all in while I could you know!!!

So start now. And remember that you can do this. We all can do this. It's not rocket science... it is hard but it is rewarding. And you'll never kick yourself for beginning RIGHT NOW!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #8  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Truffle, I agree with the others, right now is the very best time. It will spare you more pain, and help you feel much better about yourself, and get you making progress!

You are worth taking good care of! I'm so glad you posted.

Am sending you lots of good thoughts.
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmama View Post
Start RIGHT THIS SECOND. I could easily eat another 5000 calories from the middle of the day on... ESPECIALLY if I was trying to eat all the "bad" foods that I knew I wouldn't allow myself to have anymore... try to get them all in while I could you know!!!
I could easily eat that many more calories before bed tonight too!

Thank you all for the replies. I am starting now, and will enter my supper on Spark People.

I'm one of those "all or nothing" people, so I always feel I have to start over in the morning with a "clean slate".

But no time like the present, right?
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #10  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

I agree with the others, start right now. Do more than eat correctly today. Take the time today to plan your food for the next few days. Throw out any foods that you have that will tempt you to eat off plan. Go grocery shopping for the good foods you need to have on hand. Read some success stories here to help you get in a "can do" mood. Go read the success stories on the Joy Fit club.

Use today, don't wait for tomorrow! I am going to be looking for a post from you tomorrow telling us what you did today to make your life better!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:21 PM   #11  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffle View Post
I'm one of those "all or nothing" people, so I always feel I have to start over in the morning with a "clean slate".
Think of it this way - you are officially starting tomorrow, but using the rest of today as practice!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #12  
cb1

S/C/G: 220/220/120

Height: 5'6

I guess I am not supposed to be in this forum (?) but I wanted to mention I started in the middle of an afternoon. I was so sick of being fat. That night I just had a baked chicken breast and steamed broccoil for dinner, even though I was over my calories already, but it was an empowering choice for me, and then the next day I started counting calories and making healthy choices. If I hadn't done that I might've given up.... who knows? Because an unhealthy dinner can turn into an unhealthy breakfast... etc... "oh i'll start tomorrow" "oh i'll start next week" "oh i'll start next month." those were all excuses I kept telling myself! And it was negative thinking because it was telling me that I was so out of control that I couldn't take control *right now*!

A healthy choice is any time, anywhere. you can still exercise and make a healthy eating choice TODAY. Counting calories or carbs is not the only healthy decision to make in a day - we can make all kinds of unhealthy decisions all the time. It's never too early or too late to make your next choice a healthy and empowering one.
cb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Start right now !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:56 PM   #14  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Absolutely start right now! I believe the only reason I have lost this weight and kept it off is because I view EVERY SINGLE MEAL as another chance to make a good choice, no matter how many bad choices I have made prior. Even in the middle of a bite, I can choose to either continue or put down my fork and walk away.

Starting tomorrow, Monday, New Years, etc etc, is just giving myself more time to make excuses and indulge today, make bad choices today, by holding myself continually accountable, I never let myself get into the all or nothing mindset that would defeat me! Its just all part of the journey, and one I am committed to for the rest of my life. Nothing is an excuse, not pregnancy or vacations, stress, you name it. If I DO take a break, it is just that, a break, maintenance, not on or off a diet.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the BEST time to start is now, the next choice you come upon, because it doesn't leave you room to wiggle around with motivation, perfect timing, and all the other things that will never be ideal. It keeps me accountable and takes the pressure off at the very same time - accountable, because every choice matters, and takes the pressure off, because every choice is another chance to WIN!

Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:10 PM   #15  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Not only start now, but make sure you log everything that you ate earlier today. It's easy to log when you're eating on plan, a lot harder when you have to see those numbers when you've gone off course. If you let yourself not log whenever it's going to be ugly, it gets really easy to stop logging or to "eat all the bad food today" while not logging. Your body counts it even if you don't record it.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote