Old 08-18-2010, 12:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/175.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Default vitamins?

Quick question:

Do vitamins have any carbs in them? I am taking a mulitvitamin with no iron and no where on the bottle can I find any information about carbs. Help please.
LTs girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:29 AM   #2  
miamimelting

S/C/G: 239.5/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7

I don't think they have carbs. I did low carb for a long time and took a multi as well. It didn't bother my weightloss. If your not sure and its bugging you Atkins makes a multi that they put out. But honestly, even if they have a carb it won't make much of a difference. The benefit of the vitamin will help you to lose more weight than keep it off. I've always had problems with the multi making me feel sick to my stomach when I take them. I have to drink a ton of water when I take it so that I don't. Good luck! Take those vitamins.
miamimelting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/175.6/145

Height: 5'7"

I used to feel really sick after taking vitamins too and then found out that it was the iron in them making me feel ill. So even before I started Atkins I have been taking a multivitamin with no iron from GNC. Never felt sick again after taking them.
LTs girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

I don't think vitamins have much, if any, carbs. And Dr. Atkins recommended them in his book. And for me too, they never affected my ketosis or weight-loss. I was mainly concerned with the vitamins found in fruit, mainly Vitamin C, since no fruit was eaten for so long.

But in terms of pharmaceutical items...what WOULD probably contain sugar and carbs would be any sort of flavored liquid medication...like cough syrup (though they do make sugar-free versions of some of them)...or flavored liquid laxatives or flavored fiber/psyllium items, etc. Another thing that would be a problem would be any sort of enteric-coated pill. If you put an enteric coated pill in your mouth you can usually taste the sweetness right away. Pills that are enteric-coated have a coating like an M&M, more or less. And also flavored tablets like flavored Tums and other items like that for indigestion.

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:41 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

There might be a trace amount of carb in a multivitamin because a lot of the binders and external coatings etc contain them, but it would be negligible (even if it was pure sugar the size of a vitamin tablet it wouldn't be huge number, and it's certainly not pure sugar!).

I think whenever you cut back nutrition (calories, carbs etc) enough to lose weight it's a good insurance policy for your health to take a multivitamin to cover some of the deficits you're creating to lose weight.

I have used some brands that upset my stomach -some with or without iron, for me the biggest fix is to take them with meals, not on their own. If you eat meat (which most of us on low carb do) you probably get enough iron.
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote