Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 02:55 PM   #31  
# 3 Fan Forever

To whoever said they "thought this was a 'support board'" didn't look at the section this thread is in. Yes, the majority of areas of the total message board are for support, others are for exchanging recipes, and others are for information, but this is called FITNESS SCAMS ~ this IS where people slam and say bad things about certain diet products that they don't think work.

The people speaking out against Slim Fast are doing it in the correct area. They aren't going to the Slim Fast thread on the Diet Plan section and slamming the product there....they are in the correct area to tell their horror stories.

It's been said, "There are 3 sides to every story....yours, theirs, and the truth......" ~ this is the side where slamming is allowed......the Diet Plan is the side for support....the truth is what you make of it.
Old 03-29-2001, 06:25 PM   #32  

Kennedy!!!

Please, please stop drinking/eating ANYTHING with aspartame in it!!!! The scientists still really don't know what it does to US nevermind an unborn baby.....

I stopped ALL artificial sweetners when I was pregnant with my son and that was even before they had as much info as they do now!!!! Yeah, it was hard at first but I made it through!!!

You also shouldn't be drinking anything with caffeine in it!!!!! Your baby's forming brain is so tiny right now EVERYTHING you take in effects it!!!!!

I'm not telling you what to do... just begging you!!!! (okay... you know what I mean)...

Whatever way you choose to live YOUR life (what you eat etc.)should NOT effect your child in a negative way....

I'm not trying to be a jerk at all.... I'm just concerned about the health of ALL babies!!!! (and children and women... okay... and maybe even men).

I know whatever you do is ovbiously your choice and I'm sure everyone and their mother has advice for you... but well... health is extremely important... especially that of an unborn child.

Good Luck to You!!!!!

Kymber
Old 03-29-2001, 06:52 PM   #33  
Puds mum!

Default Well....

What shall I drink then??? I have been told yesterday to TOTALLY cut sugar out. I hate regular pop it tastes grosse and I live off milk(which If I drink it all day I will balloon up again and have to be in hosp AGAIN for blood pressure)water and diet coke. Fine I'll switch to caffiene free but in all honesty I am not someone who ignores my cravings for sweets while pregnant so what can I have? The only thing I am allowed is sweet tasting drinks, WITHOUT sugar. People say this but at this point I have no other options! I bought a whole naniamo bar slab SINCE I HAVENT GAINED A LB AMAZINGLY IN OVER 2 MONTHS OF PIGGING OUT(big pregnancy thing for me) and I can't have any!!! So any suggestions???????? Im cranky already no offense.
Old 03-30-2001, 04:28 PM   #34  
# 3 Fan Forever

Default Diet Coke......

Is the worst thing you can drink if you are pregnant. Between the caffeine and the aspermataine(sp) it is very, very bad for your baby, as well as your kidneys. My advice, juice. The kind of sugar you shouldn't have is processed, refined sugar. Juice has natural sugars and those are okay for you to have. I'm looking at my bottle of Cranberry Juice Cocktail and there is no sugar in it. Check your labels.

Kennedy ~ we are all talking to you about this because of our concern for you and your baby. The other Kymber is right, your baby's little brain is forming right now and the damage that the aspermataine may do you might not know about for years to come.

Why were you taken off refined sugar? Are you diabetic? If you are diabetic and pregnant, the soda is bad for you. As I said, soda strains the kidneys.

Believe me, I know how hard this is. I found out I was pregnant about 48 hours after I conceived. I had to go from drinking 64 oz or more of Diet Coke a day to no caffeine and no nutra sweet/aspermataine/artificial sweetners and it nearly sent me over the edge, but I got through it and the first thing I did the minute I delivered, made my dad go to McDonald's across the street from the hospital and get me a diet coke. I was wired for days from that diet coke because I had been off caffeine so long.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 03-30-2001, 05:22 PM   #35  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Okay, I wasn't going to get involved here but...

...I can tell you all right now, Aspartame is NOT dangerous.

http://www.quackwatch.com/04Consumer...aspartame.html

Check the above site for accurate information about aspartame from Quackwatch.com...

It really amazes me how many rumors abound about the safety of aspartame. This has got to be one of the most heavily researched products out there...I know that for a fact.

Also, if aspartame is harmful to fetuses, then I have no idea why my three sisters who have all been consuming products containing NutraSweet on a regular basis since the 1970's (my father was a chemist for a beverage company and brought home lots of test products - if there was any inkling that they were unsafe he would have NEVER let us consume them!) have had a total of nine healthy babies - now ranging in age between 5 and 17 years of age (my oldest nephew is an honor roll student and athlete).

The only time that aspartame would be harmful is if you are phenylketonuric (1 in 16,000 people); OR if the product containing aspartame has been subjected to high temperatures - in which case you wouldn't want to consume it anyway (the amino acids break down and the sweetness turns extremely bitter).

I know I'm opening a can of worms here since so many people are convinced that aspartame is harmful...but there has been nothing medically proven that it is.

In addition, my father is a diabetic and I can tell you this - sugar is sugar is sugar (paraphrasing Gertrude Stein there). Whether it is refined white sugar, honey, turbinado, fructose - your body recognizes it as nothing but sugar...so if your doctor tells you to lay off sugar, that means ALL sugar including fruit juices (besides, you're better off eating the actual fruit anyway).

Okay, let the fur fly...
Old 03-30-2001, 07:29 PM   #36  
Puds mum!

Default The fact is....

Everyone seems to think they know what is right and that that usually goes against my 3 doctors.Who ALL say aspartame if it was bad they'd yank it considering it is in almost every diet drink in the world and have both been in studys with "caffiene and aspartame" in pregnancy which is why I have them and they are so damn hard to see!So I trust them! I said in my last post "I am not allowed to have any sugar" nor do I even like "normal" pop with sugar and also meaning any kind of juice !! My blood sugar was so high today from drinking 3 glasses of juice all day my doctor told me to stop or else!

The FACT is that my OB and my doctor AND a third doctor I saw after al this doubt people put in my head s and making me feel if I drink ANYTHING but water at this point I am HARMING my baby that caffiene will not hurt pregnancys unless you drink barrels of it everyday, not the 2 cans of diet coke I have a day. They also said the withdrawl from it as of today raised my blood pressure to the point I am in BED! That was the only thing different I did yesterday and today. They also said it is much more harmful to the baby to go through that kind of stress this late in the pregnancy. Why is it that doctors are all wrong and everyone else is right?. Making me feel like I could be harming the baby by drinking diet coke 2x a day and only drinking water is obviously getting me all paranoid that there is some aspartame conspiracy and no doctor will admit to it doesn't help.Why don't doctors EVER warm a pregnant women about cafiene......I asked all of my friends and they said they were never told once by their doctors(all different ones) to not drink caffiene when pregnant. My health has so much improved since switching from regular to diet. So again.....I cannot have any sugar what am I to drink? I hate water!
Old 03-30-2001, 08:24 PM   #37  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Kennedy -

If your OB says go ahead and drink diet Cokes (as long as you're not drinking gallons of the stuff) I say go ahead - but try to get some water in too!

I myself have a really hard time getting in my 8-10 glasses of water each day, it takes a real effort. Not that I hate the stuff but unless I'm working out or thirsty I just don't think of it.

I'm the same way you are - regular Cokes are far too sweet for my tastebuds. And I can't stand the decaf diet Coke - just doesn't taste quite right to me! Jim says it tastes the same to him so maybe it's just me.

Take care - and if you haven't checked the link I posted previously, I highly recommend it. There are a lot of people out there knocking aspartame (my opinion is that they feel anything artificial is bad for you!) but there really is NO basis in medical/scientific facts for that at all. Like I said, there are very few products out there that have been tested, researched, and studied as much as aspartame (especially after cyclamates and saccharin were pulled from soft drinks - they wanted to make doubly sure that there was not going to be that problem with aspartame when it was introduced in 1982.)
Old 03-30-2001, 09:03 PM   #38  
Devilish Debutante

Interesting conversation

Kennedy -- to drink enough water, have you thought about Crystal Light or sugar free Kool Aid? It isn't water....but it is pretty close Maybe iced tea with some Splenda or Stevia (alternatives to aspertame)? Caffiene *can* cause high blood pressure, as well as act as a diuretic, so be careful if blood pressure is a big concern.

As for aspertame....****, I have heard stories, and perhaps some people are sensitive. On the whole, I think it is probably safe considering the tiny amounts you are consuming. I have a friend (and he is not one to fall for all this scary chemicals/all natural is intrinsically better stuff) who really does get ripping headaches from drinking stuff with aspertame. However, he just may have an allergy to it. ****, I get sinus headaches from drinking milk, and that is supposedly good for you, right?

Good point with juices being sugar -- geeze, you might as well eat a snickers as drink orange juice.

Mrs. Jim , you are pretty cool.
Old 03-31-2001, 01:21 AM   #39  

I'm not pregnant, and have no real experience in this area at all, but it just seems to me that by eating relatively healthy and taking care of yourself, you can have a normal, healthy baby. I mean, there are tons of kids getting pregnant, and they never see a doctor, but their babies are fine (and I'm sure that some have done much worse than drink diet coke with caffeine).
This whole things seems a bit obsessive to me, but I'm sure I'll understand it all when I do become pregnant sometime in the future. But I also can't help thinking that human babies are pretty sturdy...if they weren't, the human race would not have survived as long as it has.

It's just my opinion on the whole thing....please don't flame me.

andrea
Old 04-01-2001, 01:04 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I always told myself I wouldn't get in the middle of one of these "battles", but I feel I have to comment.
Kennedy, listen to your doctors. (This is coming from someone who would LOVE to be pregnant right now!)
Last time I checked, my name didn't have Dr. in front of it or MD behind it and I'm pretty sure the majority of us posting on this board didn't go to medical school and have several years if residency to give "medical" advice, especially to a lady who is pregnant.
In this instance I would definitely say your Doctor knows best.
I know here in the states, many doctors to tell women who are pregnant to give up caffeine (start drinking sprite, 7up, clear pops if they need that), but that is under the care of their OWN doctor, not what somebody elses doctor told my cousin's friend's aunt's step-sister to do.
I apologize now if I've offended anyone. I know everyone is trying to help, but by having Kennedy listen to everyone tell her to give up the one thing that is keeping her calm, probably jeopardized her baby more than her diet cokes did!!!!!

take care and I hope you deliver a very healthy baby
Dawnyal

Last edited by barbygirl43; 04-01-2001 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-01-2001, 08:00 PM   #41  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

MRS JIM or PUNKY,
Please lock this entire thread. It has become TOTALLY NOT what I started it out to be. THIS IS THE SCAM SECTION, and in MY OWN OPINION, things here were taken too PERSONAL, and people just keep adding WOOD TO THE FIRE!
This is a SUPPORT BOARD, but this is THE SCAM FORUM...people can blow off any product or topic right here without the fear of STEPPING ON OTHER PEOPLES TOES. That is the purpose of this particular forum, and the reason the Suzanne put it here.
Old 04-02-2001, 12:41 AM   #42  
Puds mum!

I think when someone directs something at me in my own opinion ieuts my name in front of it addressing it to me... I myself will take it personal. I think some things I myself took too personal at first however I don't see how anyone can not take things directed at them in that way otherwise they wouldn't be directed them. Like when a post is addressed to them specifically. I don't think locking a thread people are participating in is the answer. Ive seen a couple with some really mean comments to people that were just mean spirited and they weren't locked?

Take aspartame for instance some think it is a almost scam like product in the sense it is bad for you....some think it is gods gift to pop! If people want to talk about it or give their opinions let them as long as they aren't rude or mean. I took the posts directed to my own self being told what to do personal and I think I have a right to do so considering what they were about and that sure I didn't ask for it but its a persons opinion and they have every right to tell me or anyone else.It is our choice in how we take it. As do you or anyone else. Thats just my opinion. I enjoy reading everyones views on things even if I don't agree and they aren;t what the thread was first meant for.

Its people getting involved instead of having a 2 post thread!A good debate on some things can do some people alot of good!There isn't a forum for every subject.Ive looked!Maybe I'm the only one who does enjoy reading peoples opinions..I don't know?Just a thought that was not intended to get a lashing for its just an opinion.
Closed Thread