Old 04-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #1  
Building a Better Me

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/250

Height: 5'3"

Default Finding a Sponsor?

I am just starting OA, at the recommendation of my therapist. I've attended an open AA meeting (no OA meetings in my town that will work with my schedule as a single parent with no daycare options in the evenings.) I've also got the phone number and meeting time for a phone in meeting.

But I'd really like to find myself a sponsor, or at least someone who I can chat with and who can help me down the road.

I don't feel comfortable asking at the AA meeting. In fact, I got a few odd looks when I told people I was a compulsive overeater and not an alcoholic. So I don't feel like that's the right place to ask - but I will probably attend if nothing else so I can listen and learn.
Jacque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:22 AM   #2  
Member of OA

S/C/G: 306/170/170

Height: 5'10"

Hi Jacque. Welcome to OA. I have a sponsee who lives in a town with no OA Meetings and she does go to an AA meeting. She's found that some open AA meetings let her share, others do not. For many in this situations, phone meetings are the solution. There are lots of phone meetings. A full list is available on-line. I can't post links here but I'll bet you can work this out:

www(dot)oa(dot)org/meetings/find-a-meeting-online(dot)php

Good luck and again, welcome to OA it really does work. I joined at 306 pounds. Today and for the past 6+ years, I've been at 170.
misterimpatient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #3  
Building a Better Me

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/250

Height: 5'3"

Mr Impatient,
Thanks for your quick response I am attending phone meetings for now, as well as planning to go weekly for an AA meeting. Although I'm too nervous to even speak up at the AA meeting, for more than just why I'm there before and/or after the meeting.

Really, I'm looking for a sponsor - since I don't feel as I can ask for a f2f one at the AA meetings.
Jacque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #4  

Hi, I've just posted a new thread where I'm looking for an online support/diet buddy. I cannot be a sponsor, but I'm going through the same sort of thing, having lost a lot of weight in the last 3 years and unfortunately fighting against the urge to binge almost every day of my life.
If you wish to get in touch let me know, it would be nice to have someone to talk to about these things.
Good luck with everything!
B
bp729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:10 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5'0"

I have been going to AA meetings, but I introduce myself as a visitor. I don't share at them. To some degree I don't think they really get how hard my thing with food is, and that the process is similar. But, also, I want to respect that I can only get what they've been through as an outsider as well. I haven't lost my family, my job, gone to jail, or had my children taken away, because of my compulsive eating. Many alcoholics have been through these things and more. I want to respect and honor their struggles as somewhat different from mine. But, I get a lot from the meetings, because, indeed the process is very similar, and, of course, the program is the same.
~Heather
winsomehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #6  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

In addition to my three OA meetings, I attend one open AA meeting. As winsomehill said, the program is essentially the same, but no one really understands a food addict like another food addict.

Jacque, I hope you have found a sponsor!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 260/250/150

Have you tried Al-Anon too? I've heard that OA'ers feel a little more comfortable at an Al-Anon meeting than AA. Just a thought.
TexasHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:36 AM   #8  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

hi- some sponsors identify themselves on phone meetings, otherwise you could try going to online meetings, times are listed at oa dot org

I know the 645 am phone meeting has a list of members and some identify who are sponsors. I can send you the list.

also you could try going to therecoverygroup dot org - I think there are email loops you can sign up for there are also with the website oa12step4coes dot org, - there are email loops there with sponsor lists also there is a website called intherooms dot com (i think that is it) -I found my temporary sponsor there

Feel free to PM me!
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 260/250/150

Welcome to OA! I've been on vacation the past few weeks and haven't been to a meeting. Or, spoken to my sponsor. (She was out of town too.) Anyway, I'm glad you are here and I hope you find the sponsor your HP has in mind for you!
TexasHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #10  

I cannot seem to get into any of the OA online meetings. I have tried several sights with no luck. any help?
grabec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #11  

I find that the phone meeting is very useful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabec View Post
I cannot seem to get into any of the OA online meetings. I have tried several sights with no luck. any help?
OA90 is offline   Reply With Quote