Old 08-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/175/130

Height: 5'5

Default WFM organic foods made in China

I found this yesterday online. I thought I would post it here for others to see:

http://blogs.mercola.com/sites/vital...rom-china.aspx

I have been checking all of my store bought packages. What a wake up call to check before you buy it.
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:46 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think we had a discussion about this a couple months ago. Basically, packages say where they are from so its not a surprise to me that some of their organic packaged foods would come from China. And yes there has been some issues with various foods coming from China. I don't know how Whole Foods (and other organic products) source their foods and some of it is a bit of trust possibly in the food company that their sourcing methods are sound.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:14 PM   #3  
it's always something

I was in a smallish natural foods store (def not Whole Foods) a while back and bought a bag of frozen broccoli, Stahlbush Island Farms brand. The owner checked me out, and said it was really good broccoli and all of their products were grown in America. He then waved his hand around the store and said almost every other vegetable came from China.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 211/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

So where is the food grown in the US going? Yikes.
Momofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #5  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofsteel View Post
So where is the food grown in the US going? Yikes.
Mostly to livestock, cattle, pigs and chickens.

And then there are all the corn products like High Fructose Corn Syrup. We really don't grow much real food for people to eat these days.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:01 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/175/130

Height: 5'5

Which is why I am watching what I eat.

I even consider some soy products to be engineered.

This is just a heads up for us to be more aware of labels.
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #7  
Just Me

Well in terms of engineering, the US is the largest manufacturer of soy in the world because in order to grow lots of corn, you need to grow lots of soy. Corn depletes the soil, Soy replenishes. Of course to get as much soy/corn as we do, it has to be genetically modified. Both are actually fed to livestock and then other surplus goes into processed foods. Which is one reason it is good to avoid processed foods.

Also, what concerns me is what isn't on the labels of our food. Food manufacturers lobby heavily to keep information off our labels including foods that are genetically modified. It is another reason to eat organic foods when possible is to avoid GMO products.

I've increased a lot of my organics in the past few years and I've talked directly to farmers about their growing practices. Of course, you can look at a label and see that the food comes outside of the US but some non organic stuff from in the US is pretty scary, to me at least.