General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #1  
Amazing will be me

Arrow Ok this isnt really for a diet forum but its the only place i feel comfortable

Recently been on a forum that i thought would help with my current issue, and the amount of rudeness is unreal. I thought forums were for advice and support?
All i got for my post was assupmtions and negativity . heres my post

Want to go self employed part time in spray tanning ADVICE PLEASE.?

I am currently unemployed and having no luck job wise. I am interested in going self employed as a spray tanning techitian. Thing is i havent a clue where to start.
Will the job centre help me with funding etc for the day course i will have to go on for public liability? and help with equipment?
Would just like advice on where to go from here really, i know i would really enjoy the challange of being self employed and just want to know what help was available.
And how to get into it x

All i got was accusations that im a spunger that i wana go PT and SE.
But in actual fact its because i still wana be available for full time work and have somik to fall back on and somthing to work towards while im out of work and have options available and open my path up to work opportunitys> and also have self worth and motivation in setting up my own small business as being unempolyed can get very isolating at times .

Just wanted to rant but if any one does have any advice on the matter its welcomed with open arms
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I know nothing about your question, but what I can tell you is that you sound like a real go-getter to me....ambitious and hard working. I can't imagine what those other people were thinking , but I think if everyone was as much as a self starter as you, then this world would be an even better place. I'm sure you'll get lots of great advice from someone who knows, but in the meantime, I want to just tell you that I appreciate your thinking!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #3  

Height: 5'3

I don't know if Job training (state run?) would cover that but they might be the best folks to talk to about that. They may have heard of such a thing before.

Don't get caught up in something where you put out a lot of money for equipment and training that you would be years in paying back if the market is saturated.

Where do folks in your area go to get spray tanned. Are those shops in business for a long time. Have you talked to anyone there about training/intern (even freebie) I don't think it's something you can just pick up a wand and do. Plus you need a shop . It's a lot to take on but it's brave of you to think about something to get you going in this economy.
2Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #4  
Rockin Socks since 1984

S/C/G: 205/179/155

Height: 5'3.5

first of all, go you for starting your own business! i don't know anything about the tanning world (i'm half irish and just look like an oompa loompa when i'm any color but pale) but i'd say go for it! i'm not sure what the job center will cover, but i would check there. also, if you have any cosmotology schools in the area or can find one online, it's not a bad idea to email them. even if you're not interested in going there, a lot of times they can put you in contact with someone who can give you advice and steer you in the right direction. or, you can ask the business where you get your supplies from. suppliers know a whole lot about the business and might even have a contact that can help you get your foot in the door.
amyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #5  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

I think you should go for it!!! Millionaires are made at anytime. You have to make sure do your homework before you start. Did you try looking online for the info as well as you can go to the Small Business Assn. They may be able to help you and help you get a small business loan. Before you get the money find out what it takes for the training. Find a school that teaches classes and get the information. Then do the homework online. I'm thinking the state/gov't run programs wouldn't offer that type of training or provide you funding. It may be that you can open the shop and hire ONE person that knows how to do that already. You would need a business plan to get some funding. Once you know the steps you need to take, focus on the goal and don't let anyone discourage you.

You want to find out if you rent a building what type of insurance you would need for that business. Some states require special things from people opening cosmetic related businesses. Find out what all your "hidden" cost would be before you even get in to the industry to make sure you are ready for the responsibility prior to getting your training. For example, building permits, insurance, licenses, state requirements...those things people don't plan for and get in trouble up the road. I'm not saying don't look into the training but do all the research at the same time.

Little story to give you hope and enthusiasm...my niece can do hair very well but she hasn't had any training or schooling. She likes doing hair so she got a job as an assistant to a stylist and has been learning the business from that standpoint. She is loving it. She can in the end open a salon and rent booths to stylists. So go ahead and do the thang.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 244.6/237/155

Height: 5'5"

Well I don't have any answers for your questions, me neing from Canada and all, lol. But I do have this to say... Being SE isnt for whimps or 'spungers'. It's alot of hard work and Good for you for trying something you want to do!
MellyWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #7  
Amazing will be me

Thumbs up

Just to let ya know how im getting on.

Training booked , and after that i will be qualified and can start my own small business which if goes to plan will be up and running towards christmas GOOD TIMES
Old 10-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #8  
Amazing will be me

hey just to let you all know , i am only a stone throw away from thisbusiness being a reality. Just awaiting my equiptmnet and marketing / advertising and ill be on my way cant wait.

Thanks for your support peeps x
Old 10-19-2010, 04:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 235/167/160

Height: 5'6

Congratulations!! I can't believe people would call you those things for wanting to be self employed. I am self employed and it is the most amazing and rewarding experience as well as frustrating and maddening on some days but it is worth it and the best thing about it is I am in control of my destiny! Nobody does it for me if I don't do it, it doesn't get done. There is nothing lazy about being self employed! Maybe those people were jealous or insecure about their own problems but I am happy to see another woman go out and get what she wants and deserves!! Good luck!!! I am sure you will do great keep your head up and keep moving forward!!
elinor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:55 PM   #10  
this space for rent

S/C/G: 274/274/140

Height: 5'8"

Here's another thought...have you thought about pairing with a salon? it gives you an opportunity to have access to a client base already in house.

good luck in your venture!
eroica27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #11  
Slow and Steady

Height: 5' 9"

Congrats!! That's a huge accomplishment and you should be really proud of yourself. Great job on turning your dream into a reality. Not a lot of people can do what you did. Best of luck in your business. And really truly congrats!!
AbbySinthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:22 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Don't forget that bodybuilders/figure/fitness models require deep tans for competition and photo shoots (because it enhances definition and vascularity) - another market you can look towards.

Sounds like a great idea, good luck.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:08 PM   #13  
Amazing will be me

Thanks everyone for your kind and supportive words xxxx
Old 10-21-2010, 07:55 AM   #14  
from Here to There...

S/C/G: 256.2 lbs/241.2 lbs/120 lbs

Height: 5'4"

Congratulations on getting to the next step. Ignore that other site with its naysayers - you can do anything you set your mind to! And it sounds like you'll be open in time to catch those cold northerners who are going south to catch some sun and warmth. Good timing!
SeaWave is offline   Reply With Quote