General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #1  

Default New Puppy

My 3yr old keeps asking for a puppy, only thing is we have a very busy work week and I feel like the puppy would be spending more time by its self then with us, we would be able to see it in the wee early morning evenings and the weekeds. Anyone know of a low maintenance dog, that does not mind being kenel kept during the day?
LindsaysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well, I'd suggest that you don't let your 3 year old dictate such a huge responsibility in your life. If you really want a dog and think it is doable, then I'd say start looking into the feasibility.

Adult dogs shouldn't be left home by themselves more than 8 hours/day and puppies are an entirely different matter. Ideally, you'd let them outside to relieve themselves every 2-3 hours.

So if you wanted a dog, I'd suggest you look at an adult. There are a lot of rescues that can give you an idea of a dogs temperament including whether they are lower energy and good with kids.

My husband and I both work long hours but we stagger our hours so that the dogs are home alone at max 7-8 hours, usually closer to 7. So I go in earlier, come home earlier, husband leaves later, comes home later. We also do doggie day care/twice week.

If you think you would be able to work an arrangement where the dog wasn't alone by itself too long, then I'd definitely say look into it but really only if the adults in the household want a dog.

Otherwise, I'd say get a cat. (although my cats are needy too)
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #3  
A new begining!

S/C/G: 263/240/135

Height: 5'5"

Do you have a backyard the dog could be in when your gone for the day? Or If you get a older well trained dog you could just let him have the whole house when your gone.

My shadow is just fine when we are gone how ever my 9 month old min pin I can't trust alone mostly becuse she is still a pup. My min pin was hard to house break! I to clean out there kennel almost every morning along with giving her a bath because she could not hold it at night. This lasted about 3 months. However min pins are notoriously hard to house break.

I think you should really evaluate whether you have then time to care for a dog. If you want the dog as well then go for it, but if it's just your three year old I would hold off till shes older and can take care of the dog herself.
Elijahs phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #4  
Carol

S/C/G: 172/159/140

I would not get a dog for a three year old. I would get a dog only if you and your husband really, really want a dog for yourselves as well. And then, I think it is a sad life for a dog who stays by itself all day but I know a lot of people have no choice. Dogs are really like getting another child, if you care for them as they deserve. Can you really handle this along with your child's needs?
Cglasscock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #5  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

My family has a trouble having animals
because my 4 year old brother always
hits the animals. He thinks they're a play
toy and we're always on him about leaving
the cat alone that we have. We also have
a huge lab who's the sweetest things ever
and she doesn't mind my young brother
jumping on her or messing with her ears.
She just gets up and leaves. Smart dog.

I guess my point is is that toddlers will be
toddlers. Before getting a dog ask yourself
if he/she will mess with it a lot. Me and my
fiancé have talked about getting a yorkie
puppy once we get our own apartment because
it is impossible having it around my big family
and especially my younger brother.

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:27 AM   #6  

Please don't get a dog if you are going to have to leave it as much as you say you are! Your last sentence sounds very naive.

There is no such thing as a low-maitenance dog. They are SO much hard work and if you don't put almost as much effort into raising one as you would a child, you can end up with some serious behavioural problems. There are too many dogs with 'issues' in pounds already.

Dogs need companionship, just like we do. You can't just leave it on it's own all day - especially a puppy. It would be selfish, unfair and in my opinion - abusive.

I would suggest you research, research and research some more. Do some serious thinking. Also - what kid doesn't want a dog or a pet? A 3 year old has no idea what owning a dog entails, it shouldn't even factor in.

Last edited by PapayaMule; 08-09-2010 at 06:28 AM.
PapayaMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

I love my dog, he's great with my daughter and I love having a dog in our lives. I just love dogs in general. However, a puppy is like a toddler in a lot ways and almost as needy. I would not get a dog if my family were never home to be with the dog. Bored dogs are destructive dogs and they're harder to train when you're not around the majority of the time. Three years old is prime time for "look what happens when I pull the dogs tail" and it's HARD to get the kid and the dog through that phase without any incidents.

I would say wait till you're going to be home more or your child is much older, or try a different pet.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #8  
it's always something

Fur Real Friends.

The perfect dog for a toddler A child only sees the cuteness factor of a pet and can't begin to comprehend the responsibilities or other realities involved in caring for a live animal. Fortunately there are substitutes such as the Fur Real Friends than can provide all of the cuteness, and can be tucked in the toy box at the end of the day Some wiggle their noses, some roll over, and there's even a full size big one that can do a lot of tricks. He's expensive, but still costs less than puppy shots and neutering.

But to answer your original question, I can't think of any breed of dog that would be happy left kenneled alone all day, especially a puppy. Puppies in particular need much more attention than could be provided under those circumstances.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Please do not get a dog if you can only spend time with it in the early mornings and weekends. A dog lives around 12-15 years, wouldn't it be tragic if an animal had to stay crated and alone for an amount equivalent of 8-10 years of it's life? A 3 year old does not have a true concept of a dog being a living creature with emotional needs, it is a toy to them.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:00 PM   #10  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

No puppy is low maintenace.

If you don't have time for a puppy do not get one.

I agree with Nelie "I'd suggest that you don't let your 3 year old dictate such a huge responsibility in your life."

This is how dogs end up in shelters.

Last edited by L R K; 08-09-2010 at 03:03 PM.
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote