Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 10:22 PM   #1  
JML
Success Story!!!

Default What is a minimum wardrobe?

Now that I've gone through all these sizes, and removed the stuff from my closet and drawers that doesn't fit, I've been finding that I almost don't own anything, and have to shop. I've got some of the items below already, and am in the process of shopping for the rest. I'm close enough to my goal weight to start considering my purchases as permanent wardrobe additions, and I'm wondering, what makes a wardrobe?

I think the minimum wardrobe is probably:

1. 2 pairs of pants
2. 1 pair of shorts
3. 1 swimsuit
4. 2 white blouses
5. 2 or 3 tshirts
6. 1 black skirt
7. 1 goes with everything cardigan sweater
8. 1 dress for special occasions

Plus anything special for work. For me that's a couple of dressy/casual tops.

What do you think is a minimum wardrobe?
Old 03-01-2003, 11:07 PM   #2  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

what no underwear???

JML - I'm shocked

I think everyone here is different. I don't work - so my closet is a lot different then most. I wear mostly cotton pants and jeans. 100% shirts - long sleeve in the winter and short sleeve in the summer. Pretty exciting, eh?
To me you can never have enough good quality t-shirts.

I do have a couple of capri pants (cotton again) and some blouses - that's dressy for me.

100% cotton underwear and bras.

never realized how much I wear cotton.

Have a great time shopping!!!! - You will have to take a picture of yourself in your new easter outfit!
Old 03-02-2003, 12:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

How about a black blazer (jacket)? I used to dress a lot of stuff up just by putting on a blazer.

My wardrobe consists of jeans, T-shirts, and sweatshirts. I have a black pair of dress pants and a navy pair of dress pants, a white V-neck cotton shirt and a dress I wore to my son's wedding in 2000, and a dress I wore to my sister's wedding a few years before that. I don't think I've worn those dresses anyplace else. I had to buy the dress for my son's wedding because I couldn't fit in the other one anymore. Hhmm, I'll have to check that out and see if I can get that one on!
Old 03-02-2003, 10:05 AM   #4  
JML
Success Story!!!

Underwear?

You know, that's an easy thing to forget until you get new smaller clothes and then wonder why they look so wrinkly in odd places.

I had a 2XX half slip I wore forever, even taking the waist in a few inches with a safety pin so it would stay up. I've finally broken down and bought a new one.

You even have to get new pantyhose after a while. I still have lots of 3x's which I'm going to wear as long as I can, but after a few hours, they tend to stretch and settle and produce wrinkles around my ankles.

I think the minimum wardrobe is probably:

1. 2 pairs of pants
2. 1 pair of shorts
3. 1 swimsuit
4. 2 white blouses
5. 2 or 3 tshirts
6. 1 black skirt
9. 1 winter jacket (for those of us who live in winterwonderlands)
10. 1 light jacket
11. 1 bathrobe
12. 2 nightgowns or pajamas or whatever for sleeping.
13. and yes, underwear

Plus anything special for work. For me that's a couple of extra dressy/casual tops.

I think I'll add

14. A nice blazer to go with either skirts or pants. Good idea, Sheila. I don't know about black though because I wear so much black and navy in my skirts and pants anyway. It might make my outfits too dark. Maybe a nice red blazer? Red is my favorite color. Yes, I like that idea!

I found a good brand and style of pants when I was a 20, and since then, I've just bought the exact same pair in black in a size 18, 16, 14, and 12. I've stuck with black because it's slimming, and as I went down the sizes, it went with whatever tops I had.
I've always tried to have 2 pairs of pants I could wear at any given time so I had something to wear while washing the other pair. I now have a navy 12 and a black 12 I can wear out of the house, and a 14 that's too big, but still ok for bumming around the house or for doing something messy.
Old 03-02-2003, 11:33 PM   #5  
Searching

I am thinking of summer and I love summer dresses and tank tops. I have a dressy looking black tank that can be used as a shell. Its very versatile.

The basic black cocktail dress is a little must have too. Mine is red and Anne Taylor and a size 16. Soon. Very soon.

Miss Chris
Old 03-03-2003, 01:00 AM   #6  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I guess I am a bit of a clothes horse. Jeez. I'm embarrassed to write down what I think would be a basic wardrobe, compared to what you wrote, but I will anyway.

1. 2 pairs of pants

One pair in black, one pair in khaki. These are dress pants, btw.

2. 1 pair of shorts

I hate shorts. I doubt I'll wear them even when I lose enough weight to look ok in them. Every couple of years, the longer ones come back & those are the length I would wear, I guess. Although I have bike shorts to work out in (NOT spandex) .

3. 1 swimsuit

I have 2--1 to wash, 1 to wear. The $60 one I got from the Lane Bryant catalog disintegrated after 5 swimming classes. The $15 number I got from WalMart is still in one strong piece.

4. 2 white blouses

I only have one, I wear it over sundresses in the summer.

5. 2 or 3 tshirts

I have 5 million Tshirts. I have a nice white one that I wear a lot. (And just had to replace b/c I spilled makeup on it & it WOULD NOT WASH OUT FOR ANYTHING) I also have all different colors that I wear for working out/knocking around.

6. 1 black skirt

What kind of black shirt? I have a boat necked shirt from Land's End that I got for $3 @ their outlet that I loooooove. But I have a lot of black tops, b/c I look great in black.

Oh wait. You said skirt. Oops. Then this would have to be ammended to one short black skirt (skimming the knees) and one long black skirt (mid calf).

I have a black one that I've had since HS. I should retire that thing. It's 13 years old now!

I think the dress depends on the occasion. I have a wedding to attend in a month, also a baby shower coming up, so I will choose an outfit that is suitable for both occasions.

9. 1 winter jacket (for those of us who live in winterwonderlands)

Definitely.

10. 1 light jacket

Mine is a size 24. I'm hoping it won't fit when it's warm enough to wear it.

11. 1 bathrobe

See above.

12. 2 nightgowns or pajamas or whatever for sleeping.

What I sleep in depends on the day & if I'm alone or not.

13. and yes, underwear

Yes. My aunt works for Jockey, I have 48 pairs of panties. (You can't beat 10 cents apiece for panties. You really can't.)

I guess I would add a black blazer as well as a couple of silky camisoles to go under them. I have a corduroy blazer that zips up, a brown one, and a black pinstriped one. I love them.

For me, I have to have a sweatshirt. I have a black one that I wear everywhere, it's my security blanket. It's going to look dumb on me soon b/c it's a 26/28 from Lane Bryant. I'm not giving this puppy up til I fit in a size 18!!!!! In high school I had a red one, now it is this black one.

Let's see, what else?

Sweatsuit--hooded zippered up the front sweatshirt & matching sweatpants. Charcoal grey.

2 pairs of jeans--1 black, 1 blue. Black jeans only look good if they're not too faded.

For the summer, I have a lot of tank dresses & flowery skirts. I wear the skirts w/different colored T shirts, and the tank dresses go under the white blouse.

Wow. I just re-read everything I typed. Yowza. I am definitely a clothes horse.

Edited to add:

Forgot about summer vs winter clothes. In the summer, I wear a lot of tank tops under camp shirts & these awesome black capris I got @ Kmart. In the winter, I wear a lot of sweaters w/turtlenecks underneath them.

Last edited by SuchAPrettyFace; 03-03-2003 at 01:04 AM.
Closed Thread