Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 04:14 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Default Steel Magnolias #315

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a lovely sunny day here in my neck of the woods. I shiver to think of you, my friends, that live on or near the right coast. The Iron Monster spoke today a langauge I like to hear and said I had dropped another 1.4 POUNDS which put a smile on my face. Now my next goal is to get to the 70 pound down mark which I plan on making in the next 9 or 10 weeks at a pound a week.

Have a great day and stay warm ya'll.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:03 PM   #2  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It's 36 degrees as I type and the sun is shining brightly! It's a nice day in my neighborhood but sad because Mr. Rogers died. My kids always enjoyed his show.

The wall is "fixed" between my bedroom and the bathroom and I can see the sky light! The work is progressing but EVERYTHING in this house has a layer of dust on it! The fireplace man is coming tomorrow . . . we are having a gas insert put into our otherwise useless fireplace. DH has wanted to do that for a long time and we decided we may as well make a big mess all over while we are at it.

Bubbles -- I've never heard of Shepherd's Centers but sounds like a good idea to me. We have what they call Community Ed. classes that meet in the different schools. Yoga has been offered and your class sounds like about my speed! I hope you continue to feel better and the aches and pains are manageable.

Donna -- At least you won't have to worry about your wheel rim giving you trouble when you travel north. I know how aggravating unexpected car expenses can be!

Maggie -- CONGRATULATIONS on another loss! You are on your way once again! Thanks for starting the new thread!

My contractor just pulled in the driveway so I need to get going. Have a fantastic Friday, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 02-28-2003, 06:07 AM   #3  

Good morning ladies. Just have a few moments to post before hubby gets up. I hope all is well with you.

Jean: I know I have to look at the positive side of the rim. Actually, I was joking with the mechanic about now having matching rims, two that match on one side and two that match on the other, but that they are so ugly. He said, "Well, you can always, change out the other two and put the black rims on and get hubcaps for all four." It would be cheaper that way than to buy just two rims like the ones that are on now.

Maggie: Great news about your loss. Keep it going!

Well, I am going to have to go. Lots to do again today!

Donna
Old 02-28-2003, 12:27 PM   #4  

Happy TGIF day!

jean,
I have unvented gas logs, and love them. They are 98% efficient, and on cold dreary days just make you feel better looking at them.

I was sent an email with a wonderful website I think youall might enjoy: www. theinterviewwithgod.com/popup2.html Check it out, as it's a beauty.

We didn't get the snow that was predicted Seems to have gone east of us into VA. We did have lots of freezing rain and yuck. We're bound to have flooding before this is all over, I'm afraid.

Nothing new. Have to go do inventory for WW........what a pain.....it seems as tho we're doing it every other week. Have a great weekend youall,
Bubs
Old 02-28-2003, 08:54 PM   #5  
One Day At A Time

Hello everyone

I am back from vacation. Had a great time at a family reunion in AZ. Gained some weight but am back OP. Have been trying to catch up at work and home - not very successfully. It was BEAUTIFUL in AZ. Warm sunny.... fresh grapefruit off my parents tree. YUMMY!!! Then came home to snow and -4° temps. IT's warmed up a little. Got to 32° today...

Maggie - WOOHOO - WEIGH TO GO!!! Got past another milestone, or is that a ten-stone.

I think I missed a couple of threads too. So I will eventually catch up..

See ya later
Old 03-01-2003, 12:16 AM   #6  

Red face

Good Evening Flowers!
I have spent the evening dozing in the chair and am heading for bed shortly. Getting up 15 minutes earlier so I can be in and out of the bathroom before DH gets up, and living in a construction zone has taken its toll on me tonight! I was hoping to sleep in a little later tomorrow morning and the contractor announce he will be here by 8 in the morning! Oh well, I had planned to get some surface cleaning done tomorrow. Jason's inlaws are coming over and we are going to a prime rib dinner at our church. I'm not a prime rib lover but the entertainment afterwards is great. We went last year and it is a group that sings the "oldies," does a few dance steps, and a skit type of thing.

Bubbles -- What is the difference between vented and unvented logs? I am assuming ours are vented because we now have two different pipes sticking out our outside fireplace chimney. Whoever built this house put the thermostat right across from the fireplace so when we would burn real logs, the only warm spot was if you sat right in front of the fireplace while the rest of the house was freezing! I love the smell when outside and someone is buring real wood. I will check out the site when I finish here. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Joyce -- Welcome back! I think I missed that you were going to be gone. I knew you hadn't posted for a while and wondered what you were up to. AZ grapefruit is good -- we've had it when we visited my inlaws in Tucson.

Well, Flowers, I am going to bed! Have a great weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 03-01-2003, 01:36 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Default March 1 ~ Saturday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

What a beautiful day it is today. Have a nice sunny day folks this first day of a brand new month. Do with it as if it were precious and you don't want to waste a moment. Cowboy is down at the local PetSmart store holding a saddle clinic today so I am all alone with Turn. I am going to put together the other glass house I have cut out today. For dinner we are going to a yummy fish place down at the marina. I am having a 25 point day so will save for some Red Snapper, if they have any that is. It is very low in points ~ it is the things that go with that I have to watch.

JEAN I love real wood fireplaces but those gas logs that they make look so real and do such a wonderful job of heating are great. I wish you many years of winter warmth with them. I love prime rib! But it is good that you don't because they say that it has as much fat in it as 4 fried chickens do. Now that is a lot of fat you don't need. Have fun at the dinner.

JOYCE WELCOME BACK. I love Arizona grapefruit. The pink kind are my favorite. How neat that your mom has a tree in her yard.

BUBBLES I certainly do hope that you aren't being set up for a flood. I love all of winter except for the flooding part which is so scary.

DONNA well you can look at it this way ~ folks can only see one side of your car at a time.

Have a wonderful Saturday which is the First of March.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:56 AM   #8  

Just peeking in to say "good night" before I head off to bed. I spent most of the day doing laundry and cleaning off the top layer of grit around here. "Somebody" tossed their cookies during the night so DH was kind enough to shampoo the carpet for me! Our prime rib dinner was delicious and the entertainment was the best. They sang songs from the '30s, '40s, '50s, and '60s. There were alot of WWII couples there so it was a real treat. There were only a couple songs that I was not familiar with. We always enjoy spending time with Jason's inlaws.

Maggie -- We are still getting that "smell" from the fireplace . . . sort of smells like the newness is burning off. I hope you got to enjoy lobster today!

I am off to bed. Have a super Sunday, Flowers! We are going to look at houses with our daughter, make a kitty litter stop at Sam's Club, and then head to Ian's house to give him a big hug!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 03-02-2003, 11:43 AM   #9  

Happy Sunday,

Jean, you'll have the smell from your gas logs for a little while, but it's nothing to be concerned about. If your logs are vented, and it sounds as if they may be, you may be in for a shock when you get your next gas bill. My neighbor ran hers continuously, and had a whopper of a bill, to the extent that she hasn't used them since. I was told by my installer that since we all know fire needs oxygen to burn, if your house is really tight, you might want to open a window about a quarter of an inch so it can draw in some outside air. My old house is many things, but tight ain't one of 'em , but when I was living in my condo it was a problem, so I'd open my kitchen window just a teeny bit. Just make sure the opening isn't going to draw cool air across the back of your neck while getting to the fireplace......that can be real uncomfortable.

Have to get in the shower so I'm out by noon for my Duke game. I'll be back to normal in April.
Bubs
Old 03-02-2003, 03:45 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Thumbs down The Lord's Day

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

What a georgeous day we are having. Gentle sea breezes so we went down the marina once again to have lunch. We do love it down there. The ocean was so blue today and there were hang gliders out frolicing in the sky and sail boats lolling around.

JEAN I had to chuckle when you said you hoped I enjoyed my Lobster. Did you think Red Snapper meant Lobster? It is a fish that is caught off the coast here and down along the coast of Mexico and is the very best fish I have ever eaten. Does not in the least resemble Lobser. Yep you are going to be surprised at yoru gas bill like Bubbles said. Guess that is one reason we always burned logs and had the pleasant smell of wood smoke.

BUBBLES back to normal? What is that may I ask. Hope you enjoyed your game.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:39 AM   #11  

Good Evening, Flowers!
It has been a long day for this gal. We left early this morning and did some shopping with the RUDE Sunday crowd. Menards was our first stop and their side aisles are so close together you can't get two carts side by side. SAMs was next on our list for kitty litter and toilet paper plus some other items that just seemed to jump into the cart . . . DH calls it the "hundred dollar store" and today it was $102! Our last stop was Sears; they have rearranged the store and I get so disoriented in there. Then we spent almost 3 hours looking at houses with Beth. She has decided she wants a house and paying high rent just doesn't appeal to her. Of course, the houses she likes are way out of her price range.

Bubbles -- I didn't even think about the gas bill being higher. Great, just great! It was $150 last month with the colder temperatures! What does April have to do with being normal? The logs still stink!

Maggie -- I guess I associated RED with Red Lobster and didn't read your post carefully enough. Anyhow, did you go and enjoy? I also love the smell of burning wood. Our fireplace is old enough that when we burned logs, the rest of the house would cool down way too much as all of the heat went up the chimney.

I am heading for bed! Have a marvelous Monday! It is a half day for us since we have a teacher in-service day.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 03-03-2003, 07:55 AM   #12  

Jean: I hate to be a dunderhead, but aren't you the bell ringer? I guess the new church we are attending has a bell choir. They played yesterday and it was so beautiful.

I have been so very very busy this weekend that I haven't had time for anything.

I will try and stay current on posting now that things are quasi back to normal.

Everyone have a good day!

Donna
Old 03-03-2003, 08:52 AM   #13  
One Day At A Time

Good Morning Ladies

I had a very busy but productive weekend.Yesterday afternoon I started cleaning out a cupboard and it expanded to completely cleaning out where I keep my pots and pans. Going to get rid of a few things I don't use. Cleaned the drawer in the oven. I've been using an electric skillet. Love it. But they wear out so fast, I decided to start using my cast iron stuff again. So starting with one simple chore, I thought, I ended up doing a major chore.

Maggie - I haven't had red snapper in a long time. I do remember that I really like it tho. Have to get some of that again. DH has been on a salmon kick. And he just bought something called talipia (?sp). Not sure what it is. And I'll cook it like I do the salmon.
Your gentle sea breezes sound so good right now. We had 8" of snow over Sat night. Then yesterday it warmed up a little and got windy so it was blowing that snow all over the place.

Jean - Your new fireplace sounds nice. We have friends who have one. She says they only use it in the winter when they have company because it is so cozy feeling. I love fireplaces we have one in our living room and one downstairs in the family room. But they do they same thing - draw all the warm air in the house right up the chimney. So the one in the living room I am fixing up with decorations like candles and a small water fall thing. No more fires. Can't burn them half the time anyway because of the pollution alerts.

Donna - Sounds like you have been kinda busy too.

Bubbles - I liked that website. It really is beautiful. WOW

Gotta get busy. I am SO ready to retire. I have so many plans for things to do and not enough time. Have to keep coming to work so I have the money to do the things I want.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:04 PM   #14  

Angry

Good Evening, Flowers!
We got up to snow this morning but it warmed up enough this afternoon that most of it is gone again. The weatherman says we are to get more tonight. Today was a half day of school and because the speaker wasn't able to be here we got to spend some time in our rooms. We hardly ever get to do that.

Donna -- Yes, I am the one who plays bells. We just got a 4 octave set of chimes to go with the bells. I don't particularly like the chimes (they sound so different when we are playing) but we'll see what the congregation has to say. To me they are harder to play -- they are a long, skinny piece of metal. The lower the note, the longer the pipe/tube thing. There is another church in town that has a bell choir and they go all over to camps, etc. They are REALLY good; even play without their music at times. I do well to get my notes in when I'm supposed to and that's with the music!

Joyce -- Ours is a "dumb" fireplace; it is in the center of the wall between the livingroom and what used to be a diningroom. It has a semicircular hearth (?) that sticks out in front so it really doesn't lend itself to have furniture in front of it (like in the movies!). I am a little concerned about the bricks when Ian gets to walking around hanging on to things. It is the perfect height for him to play but the bricks are so sharp that if he would fall and hit his head, he'd probably need stitches. The glass itself gets too hot to touch so I doubt that we'll ever turn it on when little kids are around. Would you like to come and clean out some cupboards for me???? I have promised myself that this summer will be the summer I do some very serious cleaning!

I need to do some laundry that I didn't finish yesterday. Have a terrific Tuesday, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 03-04-2003, 07:24 AM   #15  

Good morning!

Jean: I am sure you are wonderful on the bells. I think that chimes are not as melodious as bells. They are tinnier sounding to me.

Bubs: How are you this morning?

Maggie: Is Red Snapper a strong tasting fish or mild? I like fish ok, but only like mild "non fishy" fish, like orange roughy, whitefish and I do like catfish.

Joyce: I am like you, if I start a cleaning project it always seems to erupt into a major deal! I have had to kind of tone it all down because I have a husband that is a tosser. Tosses instead of putting away and I was going around cleaning up all the time. I kind of pick my battles. I let the cupboard with the plastic tupperware etc stay a mess (he is in it a lot using lunch packing stuff), but make him put other stuff away correctly.

You guys and your gas logs! The condos all have fireplaces, but I refuse to a light a fire in one and pray no one else around us does either. You know you can control your environment, but when you live with others connected to you, you cannot predict how careful or careless they will be. As for myself, I don't like the ash clean up (we can't put in gas logs as we have no gas lines)

Well, I found out that the job at my husband's plant is open. They have a screwy system for office employees. The job out there a noodlehead could do (answer phones and page and help out with invoicing and whatever they want you to do), but what they do is hire you as a temp for 6 months and then you have to go downtown and take whatever tests are required to become certified to work as an employee, ie., typing test. I guess this girl flunked. Jack is going to check it out for me, but I have a serious problem about typing. I am pretty good until you put me in a stressful situation and then I go to pieces. I can type a respectable 60-65, but give me a timed typing test and I start shaking and usually end up with about a 50 or so. I don't know why I can't just relax. I would find a valium somewhere except knowing me I would be TOO relaxed to type. Jack said to look at it as a 6 month temp job and not to worry about it. He said it would pay for our whole vacation at least. I also have a BIG problem with failure and if I couldn't pass their requirements, I would die of embarrassment. What irks me is that the job out there is not a secretarial position so why subject people to that? If I had to take a written secretarial test I could ace it. I did when I worked at the law firm.

Well, enough gabbing. Oh, here is the new improved me down 65 lbs now! Jack keeps telling me how he can tell I have lost weight every time he puts his arms around me! Such a flatterer!

Donna

Last edited by jackslady; 03-04-2003 at 07:26 AM.
Closed Thread