Old 08-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #1  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Default Cat urine

We are having some issues with a furry person not using his potty. Does anyone have any advice? I read that a black light will make it glow so that you can find it to clean, does anyone know if it's just a normal black light or something else? Any cleaner suggestions?
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #2  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Any blacklight will do. Make sure to get a cleaner that has enzymes in it. (Like Nature's Miracle) You want enzymes to break down the pee, not just some perfumed cleaner to mask it (kitty can still smell the pee if it is just covered by a perfumey smell).

Male cat? They are more prone to crystals in their urine. You may want to take him to a vet. Ours had crystals and we put him on special cat food and that seemed to (mostly) fix the problem. The crystal make it hurt when they pee, so they start to associate their box with the pain and start going elsewhere.

Also - make sure his box is always clean. I have read offering multiple boxes sometimes helps (some cats like to pee in one and poo in the other).

And sometimes it can be behavioral due to: New baby, new people in the house, not petting/playing with him as much, new pets, etc.

Lol - sorry to write a novel. I used to work at PETCO and have done a lot of reading on the subject. Now, I am trying the final option: finding my kitty a new, loving home.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #3  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I agree with SCraver - and I had the same issue and took my cat to a vet and he did find a health issue with him and told me you always want one more litter box than number of cats (now we have two cats and three boxes) and it's fine. They DO pee in one and poop in the other but they're all in different areas so depending on how safe they feel in each spot, I guess. Make sure it's not near something loud - like near a dryer that buzzes and scares him, or where he can be backed into a corner if you have another cat. GOOD LUCK and be patient. Sometimes it takes a while for them to get back to it. If it's a hooded litter box, maybe buy another one to give him an option. My neighbor had that issue - then realized her cat, who'd used the hooded box for ages, had probably been cornered in it by the other cat, and now didn't want to use it. But he uses the open air one - go figure

I used Urine Gone - you spray it on the spot and let it soak into the pad and don't pat it dry - just let it dry over the next day and they're not drawn back to that spot.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #4  
Les
Just starting

S/C/G: 249/ticker/165

Height: 5.4

If it is not medical, it may also be that he is marking. You may want to check in to make him an it (neuter).

We also had cat's who like their toilet cleaned EVERY time after they went, or they would not go back in to it.
Les is offline   Reply With Quote